Lightspeed web traffic workarounds

i have a personal site that the school provides hosting for... everyone in web programming does. if i were to put a java browser embedded somewhere deep in the file system.... i should be able to bypass the lightspeed blocks?

or could i do something like, make an Intranet that is linked to by going to my routers external ip... then put a link on the website that takes you to the intranet through my home router and then browse the internet through that? since it will be my network providing internet security and not the schools?

Did you try using openvpn as a vpn to your home network (it could work over port 80)? or you could serve a php site that uses curl to get website content and server them to you

If they are hosting it then there is a chance that it might be inside the system so that might not work as it would still have to go past Lightspeed.

they dont host the websites through the school domain. we host the sites through wordpress. the website is just provided by the school. and only monitored when we have a project due.

Mmmm, It might work then. I don't know though

using curl, do you mean I should put a page on my website that has a text box... i put in a web address. it goes to my home network. curls the url i inputed. then refreshes the page with the text box to look like the website i curled?

Yeah something like that, but I would try openvpn first

1 Like

i wont be able to use open vpn if it is an EXE :/ i can use it for my phone though. ill try the curl idea dn get back to you if it works.

Putty portable + a SSH tunnel.

You could also run this on a webserver http://guac-dev.org/
Just navigate to the address of the guacamole server, your.webserver/guacamole, then remote into your computer @ home or a VPS.

1 Like

both ssh and Running exes are blocked.

this looks very promising, i will try this as well.

SSH as in the port? At college I just changed the SSH port of my server to 8080.

That will work fine unless they're doing deep layer 7 packet inspection, which I highly doubt! :)

EDIT: You mentioned you could run Java apps? You may be able to get a java SSH client or something,

You could boot a pc in safe mode install openvpn as a service and use it.

yeah, they blocked the port, but the reason i cant change the port is because i cant get an ssh client on the computer, since they will be EXE files. however if i do use the java client liek you suggested it should work,

Changing the port should work fine and I guess you could do it tonight when you go home for when you're at school next. When I was at college I got a friend to change the port for me ;)

i could even try to ssh into my phone. though that probably wont work the same

What phone have you got, and have you got an unlimited data plan?
You could just enable USB Tethering on your phone then the PC would think it's an Ethernet interface and use your phone's connection. (Obviously you would have to plug your phone into the PC)

If you don't have an unlimited data plan you can just do it for a little bit to change over the SSH port on your server.

If they have it as a program on the pc's that traffic would be monitored and blocked as well unfortunately

My school does the same thing and I will say if you get an iPad keyboard and go on browsers on the replit site everything is unblocked