Librem 5 the FOSS mobile phone [Goal Reached]

Yes it would probably be possible but with 128GB storage ( I didn’t know about that before @Marten said it ) I think you will not really need it.

Uhm, it does say MicroSD slot under tech specs.

which ones ? of the processor or phone ?

Phone.

3 Likes

When the actual phone ships I will decide. crowd funded does burn people from time to time, I want it to be a thing.

The CPU has support for multiple storage devices.

Tech specs are claiming MicroSD.

They’ll have a MicroSD slot.

1 Like

Okay, that’s good to hear.

I am in no way an authority on this, but they said they’ll have one and Purism is known for following through on their promises. Draw your own inferences.

They kinda tanked there laptop if you listen to Jupiter Broadcasting. They did send a new second gen linux machine as a ice breaker and it worked the latest machines are ok. But reviewer bought via free shit

I will buy the phone if the actual phone is a good thing. I especially want open source to have multiple distros. Linux on a phone that has a shit developer is still shit.

1 Like

Didn’t know this, my understanding was that they had a good run of the first two laptops. Thanks for clearing it up. Do you have a link to an episode where they talk about this? I’m interested to hear Chris’ thoughts on it.

Its kinda sprinkled through the shows. Chris had all but given up on getting his kickstarter laptop. They did finally send him a production sample one from memory and its fans where what he did not like. They ran almost constantly and loud.

Now this is from memory so I could be wrong. I have no idea where in the backlog of shows it is.

Chris got his latest laptop for free I believe so that will put a smile on anyones face.

1 Like

At LinuxFestNorthWest 2016, there was a couple that a Librem LapTop and they were thoroughly displeased with it. It was full of blobs, did not have coreboot as promised, and the things that Librem took a stand on to say “…we do not want your proprietary code …” did not make sense. The couple attended one of the Crowd Suppuly talks and the Librem president was there. They grilled him hard and his answer was, [paraphrase] “Thank you for backing the project. We really tried to deliver on our promise but… At least you have a laptop…we will do better next time”. I was interested in buying one until I got to try theirs and went with System 76 instead. There were too many quirks to get the thing to book, let alone run. It was honestly cheaper to get a mac book.

I really hope they do deliver on this, but with their history and dealing with their community in the past, I will wait. I was burned by the Jolla Tablet.

Shit, now I’m second guessing it. Here’s hoping!

Great to see plenty of partnerships in the Foss community. Now they have to coordinate everything to build a great product.

1 Like

I’m interested to see where all of this is going to end up. The knowledge that Purism has had some flops in the past is causing some FUD in my mind, but I’m still trying to stay optimistic about our chances of a pure Linux phone.

At the least, we’re going to get some great development for the community.

They are making progress. Slowly but surely.
https://puri.sm/posts/purism-librem-laptops-completely-disable-intel-management-engine/

2 Likes

This is awesome! I’m now tempted to buy a Librem 15. :smiley:

The issues that they had was when they first started. I hear that things have gotten better, but that is with laptops. YMMV since this will be the first phone. The laptops are nice feature wise. It would be incompetent of them to repeat the issues that they went through with the first laptop.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it past anyone, but yeah I hope it turns out well. Never really interested in backing untested products and 1st Gen is usually shit

It is, but this is probably the best pathway to having a freedom-respecting phone. That’s why I backed it.