Librem 5 the FOSS mobile phone [Goal Reached]

You have a point, but I’m not sure how to find my way in a de-google’d android environment.

That’s where the Librem comes in. It’s designed to run the way I want it.

1 Like

There is still a risk of bricking your phone when installing the custom ROM. I would like something with native support.

2 Likes

That reminds me, this is going to be the first free weekend I’ve had in months. Time to unlock my bootloader and load a custom rom.

1 Like

200 000 over one day. Would like to know who gave them 6 more of the biggest donations. Now their are at 81%.

Same. I’m sure they’re going to be writing hand-written thank you’s to the big donations.

I’m still shocked that this is happening. I’m getting very excited about it.

I got close to making the jump but ultimately I think this is just too expensive and honestly I think it is the wrong way to deal with this. Phones have become the one thing most people almost can’t live without. That is what has to change. Phones should just be like star trek communicators, single purpose devices, cheap, stupid things without tons of sensors, cameras and spyware. The Librem5 ticks a few of those boxes but goes completely the wrong way in some other aspects.

#makephonesdumbagain

The problem is people will not buy things that don’t have new functions and companies will not sell things that people don’t buy. But I agree that phones should be more simple. Phones excel at communication (sms,calls, radio, bluetooth, GPS…)
while everyone is trying to turn them into DSLR cameras, 4K TVs, Debit cards, Personal assistants and all sorts of other stuff.

In the meantime the campaign has reached over 100% now. Hurraz! Now we just have to wait for purism to bear the fruit.
librem

3 Likes

That’s a good point. The problem is that I’m not a fan of something that I pay to spy on me. That’s my main reason for being so interested in this device.

2 Likes

Yeah, phones have gotten too fancy. I do like playing MP3 Player on it though.

I honestly don’t know anything about monero, so is this a good thing?

http://puri.sm/posts/purism-collaborates-with-cryptocurrency-monero-to-enable-mobile-payments/

Not sure. I can’t imagine it’s a bad thing, but I think it’s early to announce a feature on a device that’s over a year away (at the least).

1 Like

Great News! Cryptocurrencies in general are awesome due to their decentralized nature and low international transaction fees.
But since they all have a public ledger they are very transparent and thus transactions are back-traceable.
Monero solved that by splitting payments into multiple smaller ones, so it would be a lot of work to solve the puzzle and figure out the cashflow.
Bitcoin on the other hand doesn’t have that level of anonymity and this causes the problem of “dirty” coins which can/could have a lesser value than others.

Probably its going to have an 8 core processor.
no sd card and low amount of l2 cache are the main problems i see.

2 Likes

Seems interesting, might give it a shot when it comes out

I’m interested to see what the failing factor of this project will be.

1 Like

I will be watching it. I do like the idea.

1 Like

No SD card, what? This is a $600 device right?

From the interview I watched. May have been on Lunduke they where saying 4G ram and 128G storage. My phone has 16G of storage.

Still an SD card while an attack vector is a nice feature.

2 Likes

Because of the processor and the memory type they chose it will be without SD.

1 Like

Well, if it is a FOSS based phone, then maybe I can just simply hook the phone to a computer or something.