LG threatens to put Wi-Fi in every appliance it introduces in 2017

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but after seeing recently that ransomware is popping up on "Smart" TVs I thought it was interesting to see LG declare all future tech to be Wi-Fi enabled. Just as Wendell and Ryan were talking about companies such as LG having no intention of supporting old TV firmware, neither will they have any intention of updating fridges, toasters etc.

This can only go horribly wrong for everyone involved.

9 Likes

Awesome more botnets....

8 Likes

Will actively avoid them so.

This, this is stupid. I'm not going to buy a 'smart fridge' until there are real commitments to support products as such with security updates and software updates for the entire 15+ year lifespam that a fridge can be good for.

And I'm not going to buy one because why the fuck do I need my fridge connected to the internet?

12 Likes

then in that case i must root my lg microwave and install gentoo

11 Likes

If it could track what you used and update your grocery list automatically that'd be kinda cool I guess.

4 Likes

is it febuary already?
please be my valentine
cause i love this

This is old meme but best meme

Allow me to express what I went through in finding then reading this thread:

9 Likes

"Consumer Threatens to De-Solder All Offending Devices"

3 Likes

Let them. I don't buy LG anyway. I have a TV that is perfectly capable of connecting to the interwebs, but I don't have the WiFi dongle installed OR an ethernet cable plugged in. After 5yrs TV works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Simple solution if you want to buy a TV with built-in WiFi is: Don't connect it to your WiFi.

1 Like

One day, there will be a brand. Motto will be similar to "keep it simpler" and all their products will be stupid as possible.

3 Likes

Inb4 people remotely start fires by hacking toasters.

Literal ransom-ware.

6 Likes

What a great day to work for a company that makes wifi chips :D

1 Like

You could just not connect it to internet but still...fuck LG if they pull this BS.

9 Likes

Couldn't this be done with an offline device though?

So it can text you and let you know you needs milk. Duh.

It's like saying that LG is releasing their "4k speakers" ... oh wait.

The only smart feature I need in a fridge (at least until the day best-by dates are part of the product barcode/nfc/whatever):