Level1Techs Q&A Time Strikes Again!

:fire: Hype

It’s that time of the year again, we’re going to be answering some of your burning questions!
As long as this post isn’t locked, feel free to ask us whatever! You might just be included in the video :yay:

Also, not sure, but there might be an “uncut” version to patreon and floatplane that’s alll the questions.

As usual, the only thing we ask is that you avoid questions about your specific troubleshooting issue: while it’s nice that you value our opinions on your upcoming build, the Q+A video is probably not the best time for it. We promise the forum is happy to provide input. That being said, more general questions are fine.

You can ask anything!

twitter
(stole this from @kreestuh 's post ;P)

5 Likes

What is your favourite drink container?

Do you find that computers have gotten less stable over the past few years? Especially with the addition of RGB to everything and the horrible software needed to configure it.

1 Like

Asking this question again

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Advice needed ver 2 of Pop os server with vm’s?

The recent clarification on SVI3 voltage of AMD cpu, to be honest, I don’t fully buy it. It couldn’t explain why the actual measurement from back the socket could be 0.05v higher than SVI3 reading on the ASUS boards, while the others like MSI, Asrock boards don’t have such 0.05v deviation. Something isn’t right.

Do you believe SVI3 reading is the actual value the CPU gets?

How do you prevent burnout?

How do you stay up to date with all the latest software changes?

For example I use javascript, nodejs and reactjs a lot. Most of the time I find out about new ways to do things by watching fireship on youtube.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the new Mac Gaming? Is there a chance that Apple will ruin Linux gaming further with them getting D3DMetal or will this actually make Linux gaming even better?

As computing moves on, a bunch of small things have been solved, with simple tools underpinning huge projects.
The original authors loose interest, and hopefully turnnober stewardship before abandonment, or forking.
As new people / generations enter the field, and scratch the itch that free them in, does anyone see a way to encourage them to stay, and maybe even adopt an older tool that needs love?

I know Ubuntu_martin gives excess funds back to devs that he draws from, and the Linux foundation supports some core devs, but who, if anyone supports / encourages the little guys?
Like, if there was a not-madeup-tool user_input_validate, which was just some ageing coder, occasionally looking in on code, but not checked in a few years?
Or like that npm Dev with the leftpad thing, who let resentment build too far…

I guess it’s not fun, going the small janitor thing, where the big names get the recognition, and core get a salary.

Is there a team, or project that pays attention, maybe knowing who is who?

Or just too many shells on the beach to count?

I guess this is not really a q&a question… And Ivcoukd be wrong about the LF, who I’ve heard is more a cow-tow to corporate interests… Just seeing ppl age out, as cloudification takes over, but there needs to be a foundation on which the cloud can operate…

1 Like

If I may ask multiple questions:

How do we encourage the younger ones to Linux?

Their world seems like mobile first, PC second but my kid loves Minecraft is that a good pivot point? Should we even encourage them or will it happen naturally through their curiousity?

2 Likes

And futher, how does the L1T Show panel not end up like the Facebook admins; breaking down after sifting through the doomscrolliest dreg headlines and topics week after week?
Love your work.

4 Likes

Just in case you are open to opinions other than Wendell… :wink:
AFAIK if you are subbed to any of the streaming services where you have to use their app to get the service, you are going to have the crappiest experience. I have a ~7yr old Samsung 55" TV. It has all the usual apps, and Samsung updates the firmware every so often(at least they used to, it’s been a LONG time since I gave it net access). I cut cable ~20yrs ago and have never had any streaming service. I have a large DVD/BR library but stopped buying discs ~5yrs ago to save money. Now I download any movie or TV series from usenet, and on the rare occasion that I can’t find it there I will search torrent sites using a VPN. To watch it on my TV I simply copy it to a usb stick or a 2.5" HD that I have in a USB case, and then plug it into the TVs usb port. Mine has a regular port and a “high-current” port. The high-current one is for mechanical hard drives. Obviously this system is only a win. The TV can’t spy on me since it has no internet access. The movies I watch don’t have any of the FBI warnings or unskipable trailers on many discs. The TV series have no commercials. I am lucky that a friend was able to salvage like 75 500GB 2.5" HDDs from laptops that were being sent to recycling. So I have a ton of stuff that has come out since I stopped buying discs. If you don’t require a streaming service, I can tell you this is the way to consume entertainment. Ryan has hinted several times that make me believe usenet is where he gets all his entertainment from. There are many usenet providers out there so check around to see which is best for you. I have been with Easynews for ~22yrs IIRC so obviously I am happy with them. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful.

1 Like

When is Level099Techs coming back for more Linux learning tips? Those that were released already were gold mines. Furthermore, will there ever be videos of the cats?

6 Likes

Do I have to shower if I didn’t get sweaty?

1 Like

and how much is linus paying for a ltt water bottle ad?

ask him he would probably do it too

1 Like

Kreestuh (Going by the spelling on your About us page here), Do you see any application with the Vision pro blending into your design work? Perhaps for working on Virtual Murals, or having an array of different virtual brushes and tools visualized (Think paint colors on the wall, or selecting different brush styles/types?)

Also, How is the Pup?

1 Like

Wendell, How do you feel about the Collapse of Reddit and the seeming growth of Self Hosted/Decentralized Federated instances (Thinking Mastodon/Matrix/Lemmy/kbin)? Do you feel this is a viable alternative to enable a bit less centralization for speech on the internet?

Also, For those who are Just starting in self hosting, what do you think is the perfect first app to try and host for you/your family? Basically, what is a good place to start?

1 Like

Wendell, what is your favorite pocket scientific calculator or palmtop and do you think that palmtops will ever make a comeback?

also, Wendell keeps mentioning atomic assembly and other sci-fi/ future tech, can we have a video or forum post where he talks more about stuff like this. I want to see Wendelldamus predictions of the future if we don’t have a carrington event.

How much does Ryan lurk in the forum on a scale from 0 to NSA

9 Likes