Level1Tech - 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch(Dual Monitor) - HDR / 240hz not working

Hey there,

i got now the “1.4 Display Port KVM Switch(Dual Monitor)” KVM but i have a weird Problem with it. I got now all Cables from Club3D to prevent any issues with the Cables (besides some Angled-Adapters because Club3D dont sell them, but there say there 8k etc). But my Problem is i cant get my "LG Ultragear+ OLED) work with an 2m (Club3D) Extension+ 1m Cable in all modes that i need.

What i need is:

• 1440p
  • 240Hz
  • HDR
  • Gysnc

As soon as i add the Extension to the KVM will only support all this stuff after a Reboot of machine, when i switch to the other computer i will lose 240hz and drop to 144hz. With just the 1m cable it seems to work fine.

When i disable “DP1.4(DSC)” and set it to “DP.14.” then i can use the Extension with 240hz but windows will instant switch off HDR.

When i plug the Cables (inlc the Extension) directly in my Monitor it works fine. 240hz, HDR - all good (then also it dosnt matter if i use DP1.4 or DP1.4DSC).

Before you say then just use it without the Extension it is not possible in my Setup. I need more calbe to route it proberly.

My Setup:

(Picture is with my old cables and old KVM)

i dont understand why Windows is just instantly turn off HDR, there is no Errormessage also Windows says “HDR supported” / “HDR Videostream not supproted” when i use the KVM and the Extension.

is there any way to get it working? Or do I have to live with 144hz when im using the KVM / Reboot my Maschine all the time?

What is the extension you’re referring to? Do you have a link?

CAC-1022 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 2m Male to Female (you will find it with this “CAC-Article ID” on the Club 3D website. im not allowed to post the link :slight_smile: )

i buy them from galaxus (.) de there seem to me legit … it comes in a Card-Box, has all the logos and stuff. also they are every thick cables in compare what im used to :slight_smile:

For better understanding because English is not my native language :slight_smile:

Cables:

• CAC-1022 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 2m Male to Female = “Extension”
  • CAC-2067 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 1m Male to Male = “Cable”
  • “Unkown Company” 90° Angle Apdater 1.4 - “8k@60hz” - 0,15m Male to Female = “Adapter”

Monitor set to “DP 1.4”:

Montior → Cable → Extension → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz
  • HDR

Montior → Cable → KVM → Cable → Extension → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz
  • no HDR possible
  • Settings stay by Switching PC

Montior → Cable → KVM → Cable → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz
  • HDR

Monitor set to “DP 1.4(DSC)”:

Montior → Cable → Extension → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz
  • HDR

Montior → Cable → KVM → Cable → Extension → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz (fresh boot) → drop to 144hz
  • HDR
  • Settings will not stay by Switching PC

Montior → Cable → KVM → Cable → Apdater → GPU:

• 240hz
  • HDR

Forgot lol you can now.

Also one sec let me check out your stuff

1 Like

If there is any of this kind of Adapters that are “Approved” from your side … tell me please i will try to get one :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I need these because there not enough room in my Build between the GPU and the “PUMP-Combo” to fit in normal Cables and then also to route them behind the GPU and behind the Case etc…

What are your thoughts on these adapters @wendell ? Do you think they could be inhibiting the bandwidth?

Update, so yeah I talked to Wendell and he thinks there is some bandwidth loss through the adapters. You see, the KVM treats all of the cables like 1 long cable, so it working on its own isn’t indicative of how the KVM will work with it.

He suggested that maybe fiber optic cabling will fix your issue since the bandwidth is lossless.

You could try 1 just to see if it works with the adapters you bought.

oh boy there are pricy xD

I understand what you say … its a littlebit unfavorable that i cant test without the Adpaters … (only if i disable my whole Watercooling loop etc).

But do you really thing it will help? I mean without the KVM it works fine with the Extension and the Adapters.

i checked the FIBBR 16k DisplayPort 2.1 Cable 2m , 40Gbits (16K@30Hz, 10K@30Hz, 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz) will cost ~24euro … thats fine … i think you already said to someone that Displayport 2.1 cables will be fine, right? Because the DP 1.4 costs 60euro so approximately 3x the Price :slight_smile:

Bytheway: if there a some Day some Apdaters that are made with High Quality etc … let me know :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, you won’t find any of these adapters from brand manufacturers, probably because too few people need them

so the way the kvm works is to be invisible on the whole DP chain. What the gpu sees is the combined properties of ‘everything’ between the gpu output and the monitor input.

when you’re testing “with” kvm you are testing + kvm + extra cable. its likely that there is too much SNR loss across extra cable + kvm. DP spec is supposed to have enough margin for things like your right angle adapter, or the kvm, but more than that gets a bit dicey.

the fibbr cables on both sides minimize losses across the “other stuff” also in the chain. this “kvm is invisible” is how freesync/gsync can work, and why its counterintuitive to troubleshoot.

And why we recommend keeping the total cable length under 10 feet; this minimizes this type of losses across the whole analog medium…

1 Like

okay i have now ordered a 1m FIBBR DP 2.1 (KVM->Monitor) and a 2m FIBBR DP 2.1 (KVM → GPU) … let’s see otherwise i have to see if i can live with the PC restart or just go down to 144hz. As always when you have very custom PC bulids you have to live with compromises.

Captain obvious reporting in, why are you disabling DSC?

Without it, its impossible to transport 1440p@240hz HDR signal. Display port 1.4 simply does not have enough bandwidth for that (handy reference here).

If you are stuck with DP 1.4 or 1.4a transport, then following modes are possible:

• 1440p 240Hz SDR
  • 1440p 144 HZ HDR
  • (DSC ON) 1440p 240 HZ HDR

If you kvm switch interferes with DSC operation, then it will be impossible to make this setup work to your liking.

1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Dual Monitor - Two Computer — Level1Techs Store

Features:

Full DisplayPort switching capabilities:

• Two DP 1.4 connections from each computer (up to 4k/120hz or 8k/30hz).
  • Lower resolutions + Higher framerates possible e.g. 144hz @ 1440p work just fine because of full DP 1.4 compatibility. (Overclocking not supported)
  • DisplayStream Compression Supported
  • Intelligent EDID Engine for HDCP Rekeying (computers know when the port is inactive. Check out the Level1Techs repeater if you need monitor emulation).
  • HDCP Passthrough Supported (maintains HDCP signal integrity)
  • Intelligent USB HID passthrough (includes work-arounds for known problematic devices)

:yum:

And just tested everything and also HDR works without DSC … i tested it :slight_smile:

The thing is when you have compression you will exaggerate “minor” bit errors on the wire. KVM doesn’t care, works fine with dsc, but if you think of wire+wire+kvm+wire as an analog singal tunnel over which you are running compression then… it can be not great for signal integrity.

also note some monitors, mainly LG but to a lesser extent Samsung (depends fw version) don’t like toggling between DSC and non DSC modes from different inputs. Again nothing to do with the kvm directly, but not a use case the monitor designers tested for – the host pc going between dsc and non dsc modes quickly.

yep … understand … we will see if the new FIBBR Cables will help… maybe fingerscrossed :slight_smile:

I also see a other Adapter on Amazon the looked a little bit more know brand … maybe also test this later… or as i said above … maybe just stick to 144hz :slight_smile:

Damn… im stupid … i orded the the FIBBR DP 2.1 cables but there are also copper cables … and will probly not help, right? I need the optical onces?

Probably especially if you already tried club3d

hey,

so i also orded now the Optical… the Copper once from FIBBR where able to get it “Working” (240hz, HDR) but the Screen will flicker or turn black Randomly … damn … why are there no good 90° Adapters Sad

bytheway i dont like the FIBBR once there quite loose in compare with the Club3D.

the end connectors also arent shielded on thos fibber cables which means they can still pick up noise from nearby stuff if you have noisy stuff near by. sad trombone noises

Is the cable connector nice and toasty warm when it happens?

Had similar issue with optical HDMI 2.0 cable (4k120hz signal), but it was almost noname chinese brand (vention). Copper to optic transceiver was probably overheating, leading to intermittent failures.

3m old style copper cable that actually has hdmi certification solved the issue and optical cable became memento of folly.