Level1Tech - 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch(Dual Monitor) - HDR / 240hz not working

hey in the moment i only test copper once … i orded now also optical once… its probly that stupid 90° Adapters that make me that trouble but i need them because of space.

because you can not fit a normal plug there its just not enough space also then the bend to get it behind the GPU is to tight.

Soo i got now the Optical 2m Cable (KVM to GPU) … sadly it works only with 240hz and HDR when not switch the KVM to the other PC, after i switch to Port 2 and back to Port 1 it will start to have flickering / green lines etc …

i test it with my 2nd PC offline just switched from Port 1 to Port 2 wait a littlebit switch back then there are the greenlines, flickering etc. After a reboot of my Machine it will work again fine.

Next week should be the Optical Cable from KVM to Monitor (1m) here, i dont think it will change mutch.

What i dont understand it why its working fine with the KVM when i dont switch the PCs, is there an logical explanation?

Yeah that suggests it’ll work with a ferrite bead on the other side. There is automatic gain control on the monitor and display and the gain isn’t the same between inputs to the kvm it seems.

Good news is ferrite is really cheap, try adding it kvm side on one of the copper cables on the input that created the problems. About 1.5 inches from the end of the cable.

some like this? and on wich Cable? I will still test next week to replace the KVM to Monitor with 1m Optical (because its already in Mail). The Other Cables will then be Club 3D because the 2nd PC is from Work and have there set it to 60hz because of this poor HP-Dockingstation … and the 2nd Monitor for my Gaming PC is an 144hz with HDR disabled (it works already fine but still will swap all cables to Club 3D)

Yep those. Sometimes those are already in club3d cables sometimes not.

Goes on a coper cable on the input causing trouble at the kvm side.

Do you have a run down of which inputs use what cables? And I can make other suggestions. The gain control changes on the monitor when switching but does not switch when changing back. The ferrite bead is likely to fix that. Sorry for the headache. Matched cables probably also fixes it but ferrites way cheaper. Ferrite could possibly fix the non fiber cables

I the moment because im in Test-Phase and my “GamingPC” is a Pain to get prober replace the Cables (you need two persons to get it from the wall etc etc) i have the following Setup:

1st PC “Gaming” to KVM
2m FIBBR 8K DisplayPort 1.4 Optical (for LG OLED 240hz) + 90° NoName Adapter “8k DP 1.4”
2m NoName Displayort Cable (Will be replaced later with Club3d, also testet with it unpluged) + 90° NoName Adapter “8k DP 1.4”

2nd PC “Work” / Dockingstation to KVM
2x CAC-2067 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 1m

KVM to Monitors
2x CAC-2067 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 1m

Not Connected and not powered but runs by the KVM
Value Index Cable to VR Glasses (the Power for the VR is unpluged)

I tested now unplugging devices near by was not helping … then i switched a little around with the 2m Optical … and when its “Flickering” i set it down to 144hz but it was still not okay (blackscreens, green lines, flickering etc).

now i swaped again to “CAC-1022 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 2m Male to Female” + “CAC-2067 - Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 - 1m Male to Male” and it works fine (no blackscreen, no flickering etc) in the moment also with Switching… im so confused.

addendum:
i also started now the 2nd PC, switched back and forth, reboots and still works fine 240hz, HDR, Gsync all with 3meters Club3d (2+1) from GPU to KVM. The Only thing thats different is the current Position of the connection between the 90° Adapter and the Cable

Before i tested like this:

And now:

Is it conceivable that the pump or the power supply unit has interfered with the signal in this way?

And when i do my prober routing of the cables to it will go behind the GPU (has an Metal backcover) in front of the Mainboard and “around” the PCI-Riser that i should add this ferrite bead to the cables behind the GPU / Behind the Case?

i mine i know there is a reason why a PC should be in a metalbox but nerver had really problems with using a “Show-Case”.

Just a Little update it has worked fine since my update from 15.12.2023 … then i had to remove the glas because i have to clean something and added new Water etc … now its back to “not Working” …

im getting crazy … i orded now a different 90° Adapter, a 2m Club3d (default cable) and a Displayport Active Repeater from Club3d.

We will see what will happen … i just updated because maybe there is someone out there also stupid like me and runs in the same issues :slight_smile:

Did you try the ferrite bead/clamp? This smells like external interference. Maybe the middle of the right angle pig tail would be the perfect spot for the clamp

hey,
no because it was then worked perfectly with the cable like my 2nd Pic from Post 15.12.2023. so i was thinking that the issue was that the cable was to close to the Pump. I was not able to find a timeslot where a friend and i have had time to get the Case from the wall (its 2 men job) to route the cables proberly :slight_smile:

i have now a again the cable more less like this after my litte cleaning action but im back to only 240hz with a refresh boot.

But you are right i will also order a box some of this clamps and test it… im just littlebit worried / uncertain about the ferrite stuff close to the Mainboard.

Can a ferrite core cause problems as well when it will be close to the Mainboard? Because the 90 Apdater will go behind the GPU. Between the GPU and Mainboard are ~ 3cm / 1inches space and there is the Raiser as well.

Soo…

I tested:

New 90° Adapter
still 144hz, only 240hz after refresh boot

Adding Ferrit Core to the old 90° Adapter

Use just a 2m Club3d from KVM to GPU (inlc Ferrit core on 90°)

Adding a another Ferrit Core to Cable end directy by the KVM

Adding a another Ferrit Core between the 1m and 2m Extension

Adding the Club3D active Repeater
i had to change the Cables because the Reapter as 2 times female and i had only a 1m Male to Male and a 2m Extension Male to Female, so now the Cables are:

KVM → 1m Clud3d → Repeater → 1m Club 3d → 2m Club3D Extension → 90° Adapter → GPU

Now i got 240hz also by swapping around the PCs, i tested multiple times with and without Repeater (no PC Reboot between) and get always the same result without the Repeater 144hz and with the Repeater 240hz.

i mine when this is now the soultion … fine i guess? but im still confused why it had worked for ~ 15 Days by just get the cable in a different position.

oh boy… the Reapter is also not the Solution it works well but when i shutdown my PC and reboot it then i have to Unplug and plug the USB-Power from the Reapter otherwice i have no signal …

Could try the ferrite core at the monitor end about an inch away from the end of the cable?

Nope didnt help got a core close to the KVM and Close to the Monitor only 144hz when im not rebooting.

I also tested the Reapeater after the KVM this also Works that i have then 240hz but has the same problem that i got no Signal by rebooting of Computer.

You should only need one, at most two, ferrite cores. Too many can cause unnecessary signal loss and not the right spot can not do as much as possible to eliminate noise.

The spots to try in order are kvm monitor dp near kvm, PC cable near kvm, monitor cable near monitor and finally PC cable near PC.

If you do 2 cores then I’d start with near PC and near monitor.

The distance from the end of the cable 1/1. inches can matter.

Since you also have an extra right angle cable in the mix I’d also try a single core middle of the right angle cable then slide it to the far-away-from gpu end. Then move it to the GPU side cable to the kvm and try the nearGPU end, then the far end of that same cable.

Since it was working but is now not it suggests interfere.

Also every GPU output is not precisely the same. Since your case is so borderline it’s possible one or more GPU outputs are fine but the others are marginal or vice versa

I tested more less all of it…

(Everyhing is test with a single core)

• Core at 90° Adapter → Start, Middle, End
  • Core at 2m 90° Apdater to KVM → Sart and End
  • Core at 1m KVM to Monitor → Start and end

all the same its more less the same behavior like my old KVM … after a boot 240hz HDR Gsync all fine no issues … swaping via KVM only 144hz , Restart Maschine … its working fine again

Have you hard power cycled the monitor? I.e. unplug it from wall power for a minute? Sometimes mine would get into a weird state before doing strange stuff

That’s so very odd

All my IPS Panels will allways “unpluged” by a an “Master-slave socket outlet” that cuts the Power when none of my PCs is on. The Main-Monitor is an “LG UltraGear 240hz OLED” because its oled it stays on the Power in deepsleep due to all of the “OLED-Maintance” stuff.

But sure i can try it… but dont think it will help.

So i tested the “Power-Reset” of the Monitor and it did work for one Switching of the KVM then it was set back to 144hz.

But it was always not shown as 144hz or 240hz in Windows-Settings it was only shown as 143,9hz or 239,9hz what seems odd to me but the Monitor OSD says “144 / 240” and it was like this since i got the Monitor, so i was think it should be fine.

2024-01-05 01_44_14-Einstellungen

Then i just want to force the Hz via Nivida Control Center, i can select there 240 but the screen will turn black, the Control Center said 240 and then it switches back to 144hz.

So i created a Custom Resolution where i honstly dont change really anything besides set “Timing” to “Manuell” (no change of the Values) and 1440p with 240hz.

(sorry Screenshot is german, because my OS is in german :slight_smile: )

So i can switch around with the KVM, 1440p, 240Hz in Windows-Settings (not 239,9hz), HDR, Gsync.

Also odd is now i cant delete the Custom Resultion or change it because i want to set the Timing on “Auto” . I no clue of this values so i think auto is maybe better.

i will test it in the next days … but when its really is just a stupid Win11 Bug then im so mad at our friend Bill :slight_smile:

Well, i think its fixed with the Solution to set a Custom-Resultion with 240hz (and not 249,9hz whats default from Windows).

I also tested now longer Cables, just to check that all is fine and out of curiosity:

GPU → 90° Adapter → 2m Club3D → 2m Club3D Extension → KVM

Still perfect, no flickering, no blackscreens, 240hz, HDR, Gsync, Swiching with KVM.

Bytheway: I told a friend about this strange soultion with the forced 240hz and he told me that he had similar issue with his Oled on his PC. Windows set his Oled to 59,9hz and he has the issue that every time the Resultion of the Screen changed the Monitor reports “No Signal” until he also forced 60hz now its works fine.

When you search on Google about bis Unround Herz Numbers, everybody says its by Windows and dosnt matter… maybe this has change with OLED?

Or rather there are not a Manufacturers for Panels maybe there somekind of bug in the Firmware or something like that?

Anyway … Thanks a lot for time and help… i hope now this Topic is finally solved :slight_smile: