Level1News: Em Drive: "Em"possible? -- 11/14/2016 | Level One Techs

What kind microphone and placement setup did you have in this video? A quick 10 second paint scribble probably is more than sufficient.
I personally liked the separation but it could tweaked a little bit.

Just out of frame, above. Cardiod pattern angled down about a 70 degree angle. Little reverb and some crosstalk. But straight left/right setup.

1 Like

Wow that was an incredible episode. Wendell, yall two are amazing.

I knew right where the conversation was going about wireless brain transmission. I can just imagine someone walking down the road fall out because the bandwidth is being used for a DDOS attack, lol.

Edit: Also, holographic universe confirmed with the "framerate" conversation about gravity holding information?

1 Like

electrical brain stimulation has been around for a couple years now and eletrical impulses on the brain goes back alot further

Can we super pretty-please have a podcast audio version?

1 Like

That's just repeating the government propaganda!

I could post a long response, but the whole "we are trying to make sure everyone pays their tax" argument is ridiculous and redundant. India has never had a widespread tax issue, unlike the US. At least not with the general population. First of all, tax in India is collected directly by the government, almost always at-source from salaries (govt. or private, with a few exceptions), and it is done by the government itself (unlike in the US, where it is done by the IRS, an offshore private contractor). There has been major, and I mean MAJOR, issues of billionaires and politicians shipping off billions to tax havens, but they already use digitised money for that. Billionaires don't store their money at home, they don't walk around with trunks full of large denominations, going cashless will not hinder them! If anything, it helps them.

But there is a reason for this cashless propaganda, and its hidden in India's war against its minorities, its poor and those it marginalises. For over 50 years India has militarily occupied Kashmir, enforced a military junta in the North East, and tried to corporatise its forests and mountains and carried on a N. American style genocide against the indigenous tribes who live in those forests and trees. The government term for these people, fighting to protect their land from being turned over to BMW and Monsanto, is "Maoists". And that term covers not just the rebels, but eminent scholars, scientists and activists who speak out against the government. For years the government has tried to crush this dissent, and now that India has a well-known genocidal maniac, and self-avowed fascist for a Prime Minister, a man who has a long history of organising religious riots, committing mass murders, destroying cottage industries and promoting neoliberalism, it can go ahead with the agenda of completing the marginalisation of India's poor. Turn the money into digital wealth, and you automatically rule everyone who doesn't have access to technology. And this in a country where the income inequality rivals that of the US, the conversion rate puts any kind of technology out of reach of most rural populations, and a large section of the population live off the land and don't even understand the concept of "money". Arundhati Roy's Algebra of Infinite Justice and Llistening to Grasshoppers: Field Notes on Democracy are good documentations of the effects that this disparity in sheer realities have on people's lives.

In effect, what this does is give a fascist government complete control over wealth and transactions -- a nice way to crush all dissent and cut off any popular movement at its roots. A large section of the upper class, hindu population, of course, feel that this is justified. Why? Because the same way Trump-lovers feel a lot of people do not qualify as "Americans" (including those from whom the land was stolen in the first place), these subcontinental version of alt-right nutjobs feel that a lot of people do not qualify as "Indians". They have a monolithic, religious, fanatical idea of India, Indians, and Indian-ness. For those of you who are not aware of the fascist Narendra Modi, he got started on his efforts to "Make India Great Again" a little before Trump.

Long story short, as Wendell and co. observed, rightly in my opinion, this move towards a cashless society is a huge step in the wrong direction. And arguing that Modi is trying to free the country of corruption, and not marginalise more people, is akin to arguing that the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan was an attempt to liberate women by 21st century's leading feminist radicals Bush and Cheney, and not an effort to control oil by a bunch of misogynist, war mongers!

4 Likes

You know what has been interesting? A lot of the commentary in private messages and comments on youtube from people that live in india has been "haha this inconvenience is tolerable if it means an end to the black money these fat cats are using"

I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying, I just think it is interesting that the number of comments/messages is at least 20:1 in favor of the removal of these notes with a sentiment that it is tolerable if it means a fair and level playing field for poor and rich alike. The odd outliers I think have a similar opinion as we do.

I doubt it will work out to level the playing field in the end, but we'll follow it as it develops. Not that there is much stock in youtube comments/messages to begin with though.

3 Likes

One of the reasons for the poor performance Dishonored 2 has is that for some reason it sets the process priority to low. After setting the priority to high it runs well, until it goes to low again. Kind of annoying.

Don't like the strong stereo effect at all, I don't have any strong like or dislike for the effect of having a speaker's audio being balanced to reflect where they're sitting, but it was done to an extent that it feels like an unnatural and quite uncomfortable extreme. It ends up mimicking what I would expect it to sound like if I were sat between the speakers.

@wendell
Can you mix the left/right channels together a bit?

With headphones the full stereo separation of your voices is a bit extreme to listen to.

Great show btw! Love it much more than the "tek"

1 Like

Regarding the EM Drive:

We have a long history of paradigm shift. The turn of the 19th century was one of confidence in the scientific understanding of the time. This was just before the discovery of QM, General and Special Relativity; which completely revolutionized theoretical understanding and illuminated the discrepancy between QM and Classical Mechanics.

More recently is a statistical or probabilistic understanding of Classical Mechanics, Neutrinos having a mass, Peer reviewed studies in the Noetic Sciences that no one knows how to describe (much less how to apply).

The point is, we have no intuition for these things. We evolved to be an effective hunter / gatherer. The most reasonable focus of our skepticism may be at our intuition itself. We should probably be as skeptical of the theory as we are of experiments.

There has been many claims of measurement issues that turned out to be likely denial of evidence with previous paradigm shifts. I don't want to get all church of Popper; but this could go either way. We still have multiple, well posed theories for many fundamental models.

See the thread on the last news program with the Canadians circle-jerking about their Ministry of Truth and how we're in the dark ages with our free speech laws. It is terrifying how much people want to be ruled and evade any personal responsibility.

2 Likes

The internet of shit problem:
Is the world that ignorant? Imagine of the next target of Mirai was, dunno... Volkswagen? The NSA? Denmark?
What needs to happen so all the peasents look into the manuals of their stupid microwaves and webcams?

And now to something funny:
A: Sorry, I can´t visit you.
B: Why that?
A: You know I am paralized?
B: But you got that implant.
A: Yea. Only problem is, my legs are DDOSing Finish heating systems.

I had the same issue, played it using VLC & set the stereo effect to right & it sounded much better.

Great episode, I'm really enjoying the flow between you guys.

There going to be a L1 amazon affiliate link? @wendell @kreestuh

1 Like

https://level1techs.com/support :)

2 Likes

:D perfect

added that link here as well

You act as if it's some government division which vets and approves every news article that is run. I honestly have trouble believing that you're not being purposely obtuse. How is the lack of government and media accountability going for you in the US?

This action doesn't address major tax evaders,but aims at solving other issue. like the upper middle class avoids tax. For example : doctor in rural areas take only cash payments to perform operations, they don't declare this in their income and store piles is cash. This is aimed at preventing this.
Another problem is with counterfeits, I've personally seen so many of them, and only old 500 & 1000 Rs notes are banned and they are being replaced my new notes.
The taxation system is weird in India, look up the difference between the old one and the new GST system.
And I agree with you on the kashmir issue and the " cashless economy vision". Kashmir has become a complete political mess, when you try to speak logically about it, not just the gov the general people label you as a traitor, I don't even want to get into that.
This is just a series is steps being taken so solve black money, one of the reasons that public is kinda ok with is because they feel the current gov is doing at least something when compared to the previous one, although this action is highly debatable, I'm just giving a view of the people at the ground, personally I would just like to see how this develops before judging it.