Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

Well, I ended up having some issues with my 1050ti. After about 2 weeks in operation in my main rig, the fan began to vibrate badly. It went back to Microcenter this morning.

That's the bad news. The good news? They have reconditioned GTX 980's for $264.99. So I picked one of those up. It will sit in the folding rig until I get a water block for it. Then it will go into my main rig.

My folding rig is back running on Arch. I had to roll back to 367.57 driver for the GTX 980. I was getting bad working units with 375.26. All seems well. I'll keep you all posted if something changes.

1 Like

Alright, joined the team.
Let's use that GTX 960 for pwning noobs and cancer

2 Likes

Well the HD5750 is nearly worthless for folding. Only 5500 points per day, but I have 3 them so that's another 16500 points per day for a good cause. A 2 core processor is probably more effective.

Did you request (and enter) your passkey already? I found that that boosts your PPD quite a lot. You won't see the difference immediately, you need to successfully complete a number of folds after entering it first.

It's in the advanced control panel under Configure -> Identity.

Yea I entered the passkey after setting up each machine. Its doing about 30,000 PPD on my workstation with two x5550 xeon and the HD5750. Going to install a second ccard in it as soon as my splitter cable makes it from ebay. My two Debian 8 VMs inside a Proxmox cluster (two HP Dl380 G6) are doing around 20,000 each on 12 threads of E5540 Xeons. I have a couple other machines running as well but not sure of their contribution. The other machine that has a HD 5750 is a 6 core AMD and its only turning around 5500 from the gpu as well.

Why do some people, like me, have no rank (N/A) on the team page while they have one in their personal statistics? Or is the team page only updated once a week or so?

Check the fast stats page. It updates more frequently.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team232084.html

Little did I know that the Passkey would triple the output! My old gaming rig is now cranking out 139K collectively and it has successfully tripled the output on each of the 3 laptops I was able to setup. I am thinking I am going to put this on the server now since it mostly just collects dust. I'll probably be able to hear it from the garage at 100% processing.

Not sure that page loads faster as it is showing what I was at yesterday. I am currently at 32,701

It loads faster than the team page on the actual f@h site. At least for me the f@h site has the team list as last updated on the 22nd. Individual user page on the site will update faster than fast stats page. Hourly I believe. Where as the fast stats is a few times per day as I can tell but it still has to pull its info from the servers once those are updated so it may delay it. (I feel like I am rambling)

Example of all this.
F@H team page: I dont exist.
Fast stats: I have 1.7 mil
F@H user page: I have 2 mil.

1 Like

Joining in with my 4.6GHz 5820k and my Fury X. Does the following look right? I have never done this before.

1 Like

Looks okay to me. Did you request (and enter) your passkey?

1 Like

I did, but now I'm wondering if I messed up. I have my FAH name as Zeta but the username I requested the passkey with was my real name, did I mess it up? Do those two things need to be the same for it to count?

Reporting in with a 5930K and a Fury X.

Yes, that looks fine.

If you right click the folding at home icon in the system tray and click Advanced Control, then right click your CPU in the listing, like so:

You can pause just the CPU and not the GPU.

I use my CPU for converting videos with Handbrake while I fold with my GPU. I lost like 30-50K points per day, but the Fury X pushes 300-500K per day anyway, so it's only 10%.

Naw, you're good. From the F@H website:

What is a passkey?

The passkey, a new feature beginning with the v6.0 FAH client, is a unique identifier that ties your contributions directly to you (not just those with your username). The use of a passkey prevents others from cheating using your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest. You should keep your passkey secret.

It is tied to your username by you putting it into your client. So it should be working right.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip and the reassurance. I guess now I really see how GPU compute absolutely blows away CPU compute for this kind of thing.

1 Like

At what point does it start earning points for the team? As of right now it shows none.

1 Like

You see that "My computer has 8.32 days to complete this work unit." in your screenshot above? It's under Running which is under the CPU percentage bar.

You don't get points til you complete a work unit. The GPU will complete before the CPU does usually.

To see it's status, click the GPU percent loading bar.

1 Like

Stat servers are down at the moment, it seems. Might be why you don't "earn" any point. If you've completed the work units, you should see your points when the stat servers get back online.

1 Like

Thanks. One more question and I promise I'll shut up... do any of your have experience with the android app? Can you set it up to put the points toward our team and your passkey?

1 Like

No experience with that, I'm afraid. I installed it on my M8 and tried to get it running, but it threw a fit about me not having a google account or Play Store on the phone.
Considering how little a desktop CPU does for one's score, I doubt that adding your phone will do much.
Also, seeing as the phone needs to be plugged in and fully charged before the app will even start to fold, it's only going to wear out your battery (batteries tend to last much longer if you store them at 40-60% charge than when they're always fully charged).

1 Like