Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

If anyone is looking for a good example of what types of research Folding@Home is contributing to, this one popped up today for me:

In Project 10490, the Chodera lab is studying a small protein called KRAS, which forms a key link in growth signaling and cancer. This gene is something like a molecular switch with a timer. When it is bound to a molecule called GDP, it is off, and does not signal that the cell should grow. However, other proteins can cause it to swap its GDP for a GTP, turning KRAS on. In the on state, it signals that the cell should grow and divide. Normally, after some time, KRAS, with the aid of some partners, will chemically convert its GTP to GDP and return to its inactive state.

In many cancers, this protein becomes mutated, and cannot return to its off state. The result? The cells continue to divide without limit. What’s worse, cancers with this protein mutated tend to have much poorer prognoses. As a result, scientists have been trying to target this protein for decades. So what’s the problem?

As you can see in the picture above (3GFT in the PDB, for the curious), the only “reasonable’ site for a small-molecule drug to bind KRAS, represented as a green surface, is where the GDP or GTP binds, represented here as purple sticks. However, the affinity that KRAS has for the GDP/GTP is so high that it is considered virtually impossible to outcompete. All is not lost though— proteins move, and in the course of their fluctuations, occasionally expose sites where a molecule could bind. These are invisible on most experimental techniques (like the one used for the previous picture, x-ray crystallography), but may become visible in long molecular simulations. These so-called cryptic binding sites (which have been discovered for other therapeutically interesting proteins like Beta-lactamase using Folding@Home) offer a potential to “drug the undruggable,” and create novel therapeutics for previously intractable diseases.

If anyone is interested in an elaboration, here's what's essentially going on: Basically, what this project is trying to figure out is a way to "shut off" the KRAS protein. That GTP molecule that activates the KRAS protein, which allows the cells to divide is supposed to be hydrolyzed to a GDP after some time, like a natural timer. (GTP and GDP are similar to ATP and ADP, the energy units of the cell.) So the challenge for drugs then becomes, how do we get rid of those GTP that are bound to the KRAS proteins, so that they stop causing the cells to divide?

The traditional way to do this is by inhibition. Basically you find something that the protein can bind to that prevents it from binding to the substrate of matter (in this case, GTP.) As mentioned above, there's really nowhere for anything to bind but the binding site for GTP. However, this is a nefarious case of the protein being too attracted to GTP. Normally, what pharmacists would do is try to figure out where the substrate (GTP) is binding, and create some drug with an even higher affinity to that spot, so that it blocks out the GTP.

This is exemplified in enzyme (or protein) kinetics. For instance, looking at this chart:

What is depicted here is the enzyme (KRAS protein in our case) to substrate (GTP) reaction. Now it's important to remember, the GTP is supposed to be hydrolyzed to a GDP after a while, but for some reason, that's not occurring. So because that's not occurring, the cell keeps dividing. This chart is nonspecific, but it shows us how these reactions typically occur. The higher the substrate concentration, the faster the faster the reaction will occur. Now this isn't a strict enzyme-substrate reaction, but rather a protein-substrate reaction, because it's not forming a product, but this chart is still good for showing affinity.

So the question then is how do we make something that slows that reaction way down? The best way to slow the reaction down is to prevent the substrate from binding to the protein. The traditional way to accomplish this is via competitive inhibition.

So what's happening in this chart is that some other substrate has been introduced to the protein, and that substrate has a higher affinity for the protein than the original substrate (GTP in our case.) So it's out-competing the GTP. Now, notice how the lines don't just end. The cell can compensate for this with more substrate. So while it might work to inhibit the enzyme, eventually as substrate concentration builds up, it will stop working. This method does not reduce the maximum velocity of the reaction, but rather just slows it until the substrate concentration builds up to a level enough to out-compete the drug, and then it's all systems go once again.

The big issue here is that the concentration and affinity of GTP is too high in the cell to do this. Nothing that researches have placed in that spot on the protein has been able to outcompete the GTP. So when this type of inhibition doesn't work, researchers typically will try noncompetitive inhibition.

Notice how the line marked "noncompetitive inhibition" is almost a straight line. It barely rises at all, and then it comes to a dead stop. This is because unlike with competitive inhibition, noncompetitive actually reduces the maximum velocity of the reaction, meaning that increased substrate concentration doesn't compensate for the inhibitor. This is because the noncompetitive inhibitor doesn't bind to the substrate binding site in the protein. Therefore it's not competing with the GTP. Instead, it binds to a different site on the protein, and alters the shape of the protein, partially destroying or obscuring the substrate binding site, and isn't vulnerable to being displaced by the substrate because it's not blocking it directly.

The issue noted above, however, is that there is no alternative binding site that has been found on this protein. At least not in its bound state. Many proteins are examined via methods like -xray crystallography. This method of protein visualization is not suitable for examining how the protein interacts with things, or what functions it is performing. It's difficult to observe proteins while they're actually doing work. The hope with this Folding@Home work unit is that we will simulate the protein's movement and work, and that while the protein is moving or working, we can identify a binding site that might otherwise not be there, to place a noncompetitive inhibitor in, and prevent the protein from doing work, and bringing about the unbridled proliferation of new cells in individuals with cancer.

2 Likes

Is there a way to schedule performance used?

For example:
At 5 AM, Medium
At 5 PM, Light
At 8 PM, Full

I have free electricity between 8 PM and 5 AM. This would be beneficial also in that I use my PC the most between 5 and 8 PM.

Now I know what I can do with all my AWS credits! 6th place already!
Making them last by setting up spot fleet requests to keep re-creating instances with a custom AMI for my client configuration. If anyone else is doing the same, shout out!

FYI:

1 Like

Sadly no official Win7 support. I'll be on 373.06 a while longer then.

Anybody know how to get remote access going for a headless Linux box? I have a Debian 7 box I set up years ago just folding anonymously, but I'd like to keep a better eye on what it's doing (curious) and I wanna see how many points I'm getting. It's an LXC container on an AMD FX-6300 "server" that basically sits idle 80% of the time.

What level of Remote Access do you want? I presume SSH would be fine.

It's essentially just a matter of getting the connection from you to the server (though I'm sure that's obvious).

For example, if I wanted to connect to my personal server at home from work, I would use SSH over a port I've chosen (changed from the default of 22) and enter my home's IP address or hostname.

I'd personally use a Dynamic DNS service to have a hostname updated to my current home IP address if it changes. If it's static, you don't need to do this.

Then I'd need to be sure that any connections over that port that hit my Router are forwarded to my Server. So I'd set up port forwarding in my home router to forward the SSH port I chose to the IP address of my home server (which is preferably static).

Then you'd just log in.

Don't use the default SSH port of 22 because ISPs tend to block those for residential connections. Pick some random port between 100 and 1000 that isn't used by something important.

I ended up figuring it out. You have to allow a remote host in your config file as shown in this sample. https://gist.github.com/oguya/5924b94c1be6ae9e070d

I already have SSH, I was talking about the FAH web interface. Thanks though.

Update: Remote access to my F@H LXC container on my mostly-idle proxmox server!

Not sure why my CPU is at 30%, I think it's misreading that because the container in Proxmox says 99.8% CPU usage and the host as a whole is sitting at a solid 80% CPU usage (I limited the container a little so it can't just absolutely bog everything down).

Glad to see that i'm not the only person folding in a Proxmox VM. I have mine limited to 12 threads of 2 Xeon processors to keep the CPU usage around 75%

1 Like

That's not your CPU usage, that's how much of this particular Work Unit has been completed.

1 Like

Ended up using clock blocker on my 260x folding@home was utilizing it very oddly from basically 20% then would spike to 100% and the clock speed would be all over the place. Just waiting to pick up a T5600 then we will really be in business.

Ohhhhh, okay, that makes more sense lol I can't read

It works out great for me, because the server is only occasionally under a lot of load (once in a blue moon I use it to unzip massive ZIPs, maybe a tiny bit of rendering or transcoding, etc) so just shutdown the container or take away CPU cores when I need more of the CPU for my own tasks.

So apparently, folding a with Fury in linux is not possible. As using the AMDGPU drivers do not work, as the GPU gets a:

WARNING:WU02:FS01:FahCore returned: BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)

Turns out may need the AMDGPU-Pro drivers. I couldn't get this from the AUR as I would need to recompile my kernel, don't have time for that today.

Yeah, AMDGPU proprietary drives require Xorg server version <1.18.

Arch being a rolling release distro, that's actually very annoying to maintain if you are setting up a new system. :c

I am sure my reptiles would love it if I set some laptops to heat up their room with F@H. I should have enough surface space for about 6 of them to run safely in there. Give me a week or so to get them up and running.

Is a Radeon HD 5750 any good for folding? Mine seems very slow. Finish times are always shown as 1-5 days. Is this nornal or is the card just slow?

Currently 2 of the 6 laptops I can dedicate are up and running, but I think one is dead. going to poke around a little more with it.

hmm, that's longer than normal indeed. Check if it does indeed need that long or if it's just a bad estimate.

Also use GPU-Z to see if your GPU is actually being used completely and running at the advertised 700MHz (or thereabout).
It happens very rarely that a GPU just doesn't want to come off idle frequency. In that case you'll either see 150-ish or 300MHz (depending on how many monitors you have hooked up apparently).

I checked the GPU clock speed and you were correct. I have 2 machines running with HD 5750 cards and i had not checked the settings in catalyst control center. Turns out that you have to agree to the disclaimer before it will allow higher GPU clock speeds. its faster but still like watching paint dry. I have a third HD 5750 i'm going to install in my hp Z600 workstation when my six pin splitter cable comes from ebay.