Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

I just upgraded to Pop!_OS 20.04 and FAHControl is pretty much uninstallable. FAHClient is fine. FAHControl was a pain to work around on 19.04 with broken dependencies, but now even the workarounds don’t work. I expect Ubuntu 20.04 is in the same boat. On the plus side, the web control works for me in Opera (but not Chromium) so I can do things like finish and pause. Just a heads up.

Eh, I spoke too soon. Web control in Opera doesn’t work after a reboot. Now I’ve got no control other than to start and stop the client service. Not optimal.

Isn’t that just a Java program? How bad can the dependencies be? :o

It’s Python2

'nuff said.

2 Likes

With very old dependencies. On the bright side, still works with el7, however, anything el8 or newer does not work.

Isn’t EL8 based on Fedora 28? That should still have the Python2 dependencies in the repos, Fedora 31 still has. Unless they removed it now which would sort of surprise me for an LTS version.

Although, this probably applies:

i.e. you probably need to execute FAHControl explicitly with Python2, which is what I had to do on Fedora 31 (30 was fine though).

The core python libs were shifted from 2.7 to 3 so anything that calls ‘python’ will call python3 but the app depends on python being python2.7 so it breaks and you will have create explicit symlinks in order to not break the system.

I am really salty about how much bullshit surrounds the “should python point to installed version of python of just separate python3” argument. Since everything was 50/50 on it so much was fragmented.

Doesn’t need a symlink necessarily, just run python2 /usr/bin/FAHControl and it will execute using python2. That’s what I did :eyes:

well there’s like other shit if you wanted all 3 pieces.

But for me the breaker was the obsolete version of openssl the program depends on which you can’t even install on >=el8

Ah gotcha. I’ve had games even break because older OpenSSL versions were not available… same game via Proton is fine, big whoop…

That’s because on windows it comes bundled with all the libs/versions it needs to run. So when you install the game you install all the deps it needs.

What the developer needs to do for FAH is to create an appimage or a flatpak.

I know why it is, it’s just a little frustrating when you actually have Linux native games :smiley:

AFAIK they don’t invest any work into the old client anymore since they are working on a new one that’s also more flexible for their current and future needs, so that’s not happening.

Got a folding vm setup on the new server :slight_smile:

4 Likes

holy mother of god gpu folding on linux with my 2070 is almost 20x better on linux than windows. When I folded on windows, it only could get 15K max per wu for the same amount of time it took to complete.

Just by folding on linux, I jumped from 113 to 105. What holy magic has the devs done on linux that makes gpu folding better on linux

2 Likes

Eh that only depends on the specific WU you’re working on. You cannot compare any results unless it is the exact same WU.

2 Likes

you’re probably right, tho I think I will get more folding done since now I can take advantage of my gpu when I am using linux. Before only my CPU would fold, but it doesn’t get as much work done as my GPU.

Also does anyone else get issues with gpu folding when they suspend in the middle of folding? When I suspended during cpu folding, fahclient would be able to detect the cpu once I turned my computer on.

Also it does have a better resource scheduler.

1 Like

ranked up over 2 days of folding on linux, damn. Resource scheduler might be a good reason

1 Like

Nice! I’m only getting like a hundred-ish thousand a day because I’m just using my cpu.

But the more the merrier!

1 Like

Wow that 2070 seems to be crushing it. With my 1080 it usually says I should expect about 750k - 850k a day.

1 Like