Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

well im running my stuff on my ryzen 3 1200 no gpu and been testing with the gigaaccel card i got

Is that some older generation card?
Both my cpu and gpu are set up as folding slots.
At some time both my tr4 1900x and the gtx 1080 was folding at the same time, and my system was still perfectly responsive, watching youtube and sorting files etc.
Iā€™m definitely leaving my pc set up for folding, even after the corona pandemic is over. At some point in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

its a ibm pxcab power cell/be accelerator kinda like a xeon accel card from intel but the cell/be cpu like the ps3 a ppe and spe cores really good for render and h264/5 but from 2007 and really annoying to install drivers and actually communicate with the card and get it working on stuff

remember fedora 7 thats when this came out

1 Like

Cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Off-topic

Do we know if Folding@Home had made any significant achievements? I couldnā€™t find anything that stands out from a quick Google search but then again, Iā€™m an idiot.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject could enlighten me?

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

For COVID-19 specifically I doubt it, itā€™s not been long enough.

As I write this, all of my GPUs are on idle, waiting for a new WU.
If this keeps up, Iā€™ll have to shut down F@H on the folding rig and do some mining instead.

Attaboy, Donk!

I read a post by a healthcare worker on Reddit that itā€™s been instrumental in discovering potential Alzheimerā€™s medications that are now in testing. Donā€™t have a link at the moment. Sorry.

I suppose the authenticity of the claim is suspect but itā€™s something.

1 Like

Isnā€™t mining on GPUs inefficient enough now?

Depends on the currency.

Doesnā€™t really matter to me.
I donā€™t have heating in the PC room, so I rely on the GPUs to keep the room at a reasonable temperature (18-20Ā°C, 64-68Ā°F). If the temps drop because the F@H servers canā€™t supply WUs, I have to do something else. I then may as well get some of the cost of my electricity back by mining.

1 Like

How do I get gpu and cpu working simultaneously?

Thatā€™s a loaded question. What are your GPU specs and what OS are you running?

Well I am running windows 10, and a 3950x + 5700xtā€¦ Right now only the cpu is running.

Close the web status page and start FAHControl. Is your GPU listed and is it in the ready state?

As you can see from my screenshot, my GPU is ready but it is waiting on F@H to issue a work unit.

The FAHControl tool gives more detailed information than the local web status page does.

Mine is ready, so it is just a game of waiting?

Your in the same boat as the rest of us. Not enough work to go around. Sometime last week some heavyweight outfits started throwing a lot of gpu power towards F@H and theyā€™ve run out of work for everyone to do.

Yes.
Over the weekend, my cpu and gpu alternated between getting work.
Today Iā€™ve only seen my gpu work. And only 2-3 times. And it takes it about 2-3 hours pr. ws.
They canā€™t keep up with the power atm.

Captain Chaos posted something about it a few days ago:

2fa15bc25a0fe5259827fdade230232f

Edit: CoreWeave says on itā€™s website, that it has donated 6000 high end cpuā€™s to the cause.

1 Like