Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

Not sure what’s going on. I’m guessing that either

1. a lot more processing power has recently become available (chinese mining farms temporarily doing F@H to help combat Covid-19 ?)
  2. they are having server issues or
  3. we found cures for almost everything

My money’s on #2

2 Likes

I get that occasionally, it just keeps retrying and eventually gets a WU.

As much as #3 would be nice, it seems like something that would be on the news.
#1 is somewhat unlikely. But you never know what the Chinese regime might tell mining farms to do.

Good to know :slight_smile:

Turns out it’s real close to #1. CoreWeave (a cloud computing company) apparently threw thousands of GPUs at F@H to help combat Covid-19. The F@H servers simply can’t keep up.

EDIT : GitHub is also donating 60K CPU core hours per day to F@H for the same purpose.
Not sure what that equates to, but simple math (60000 / 24) translates to 2500 CPU cores folding 24/7.

Well, no wonder their servers can’t keep up.
My gpu’s last attempt at getting a wu resulted in:
ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: 10001: Server responded: HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
It’s like they’re gettin ddos’d by all the computing power being donated :slight_smile:

So actually did that, but didn’t work. The System Info Panel in FAHControl shows “Not detected: clGetDeviceIDs() returned -1” :frowning:

It took me a while but eventually I got a WU. However it was for cancer not coronavirus. Ain’t nobody got time for cancer at this moment!

I’m also getting No WUs available for this configuration when folding on CPU, so go figure :wink:

edit: well that’s new :rofl:

23:28:03:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: 10001: Server responded: HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE

It’s both for me.
Since I started friday, my pc has completed 29 wu. Some corona, some something else.
When I left for work, it had been sitting for +8 hours whithout getting any wu’s, for either cpu or gpu.
There’s so much power avaliable to them at the moment, that the researchers and/or their servers can’t keep up.

1 Like

Yea, I’m not getting new assignments either.

It sure looks that way.

1 Like

been waiting for new wu as well they are slow atm

I just got home from work, and my gpu is almost done with a wu.

It’s one of the corona projects, and besides saying what it is, all it says in the description is:

“Further description coming shortly once we’ve dealt with the workload of getting these projects out, thanks for your patience”

They’re playing catch up with the compute power.

1 Like

alot of the gaming companies like nvidia put out a call for people to put passive compute into this so i kinda attribute it to that

1 Like

Yeah, a lot of systems joined the cause because of that. Mine included.
Some of the youtube tech channels also put the word out, LTT and GN are the ones I’ve seen encourage it’s viewers.
Though I’ve also read that some cloud services/data companies have donated massive amounts of cpu/gpu hours.

1 Like

i have been waiting on a seti like so i dropped it here while i was not on a project

1 Like

Huh, my gpu got a new wu as soon as it finished the last one.

well im running my stuff on my ryzen 3 1200 no gpu and been testing with the gigaaccel card i got

Is that some older generation card?
Both my cpu and gpu are set up as folding slots.
At some time both my tr4 1900x and the gtx 1080 was folding at the same time, and my system was still perfectly responsive, watching youtube and sorting files etc.
I’m definitely leaving my pc set up for folding, even after the corona pandemic is over. At some point in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

its a ibm pxcab power cell/be accelerator kinda like a xeon accel card from intel but the cell/be cpu like the ps3 a ppe and spe cores really good for render and h264/5 but from 2007 and really annoying to install drivers and actually communicate with the card and get it working on stuff

remember fedora 7 thats when this came out

1 Like