Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

Dunno it this counts as necro, think it isn’t as this should be an ongoing topic?

Apologies if it is.

Didn’t know we had a team until this post just got quoted. So installed and got my desktop up and running again, we have some ranks to climb on the leaderboards!

3 Likes

Go team go!

3 Likes

Folding pc has been shelved will be a nas soon :cry:

2 Likes

I have been on BOINC running IBM World Community Grid non-stop since joining in 2007.

Might be persuaded … what does Folding At Home attack?

1 Like

It depends on the project, but I think that the big ones are Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s right now. Basically, we know that proteins are very important to these diseases, as they are likely protein-mediated. The problem is that we don’t know what the proteins look like. Many of them are too big to resolve structures of in traditional ways (X-Ray crystallography, Cryo-Electron Microscopy, etc). The other problem is that we don’t know if the structures that we do see, from those that we can resolve structures of, are what the proteins look like when they are pathogenic. Proteins are dynamic, they move around between multiple conformations. One of the issues with Alzherimer’s is that proteins that normally behave OK begin to cluster together and form a plaque. This means something is happening the cell thermodynamically that makes it more favorable for the proteins to assume some conformation that enables their aggregation and causes the disease. We can’t resolve that because we don’t know what those conditions are or how to replicate them.

That brings us to the problem that Folding@Home helps to solve. We know the amino acid sequence of the protein, and we know that there’s a finite number of possible arrangements of that sequence (1x10^n, (n= number of amino acids) - Kinetic impossibilities). The problem is that there’s so many possibilities, and then not only do we need to figure out what they are, but also which are thermodynamically favorable, and how they work. Not to mention that every angle of every amino acid residue can do things like change the dielectric constant of the water around it, and that adds additional layers of complexity. The truth is we just don’t have the computing power centralized anywhere in the world that is capable of figuring these problems out ab initio, and so we need a solution like F@H to distribute that computing load.

We probably won’t cure any diseases with F@H, but what we will do is contribute towards our understanding of ab initio protein folding models and our understanding of what the thermodynamics of water look like inside a globular protein.

4 Likes

https://foldingathome.org/2020/02/27/foldinghome-takes-up-the-fight-against-covid-19-2019-ncov/

3 Likes

Enable “advanced mode” to participate in Covid-19 research…

1 Like

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

1 Like

I already had my folding rig set to “any”. Just checked, and my GPUs are working on Covid-related WUs.

Might let my main rig’s GPU join in.

1 Like

Mine has always been set to Any, so I (probably?) already do them, though I didn’t check.

I would like to let my GPU do some work but I could not get it to work under Fedora yet, I’m not sure what’s up with that.

On a side note:

Can you add, that FAHControl needs Python2 to run? I could not get it to start with Python3, but adding python2 that to the .desktop file fixed it for me. Not elegant, but AFAIK currently the only way if started from the application launcher.

How do you know that they are… my client doesn’t tell me what it’s working, just shows the animation and other stats.

It shows a WU unit ID, each ID correlates to a specific project.
When you click on the ID it should also redirect you to the description page (though not every WU has a description page).

Oh, right on! Got 5 TFLOPS on it…

1 Like

Lol, figures it doesn’t work just for me…

Well I’d assume they have other things to worry about then writing text descriptions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really should upgrade my folding rig’s CPU though. That poor i5-2500 is maxed out 24/7 and the GPUs are only at 75-80%. Textbook bottleneck. Didn’t have that problem before adding that third 1070.

Time to look for a 2600K.

Sure.

Make sure that you have opencl-nvidia and cuda installed for nVidia GPUs, and opencl-mesa for AMD GPUs.

Yeah that’s what I thought as well, but:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ dnf search opencl mesa
Last metadata expiration check: 11 days, 15:41:54 ago on Fri 28 Feb 2020 20:33:47 CET.
========================================= Name & Summary Matched: opencl, mesa =========================================
mesa-libOpenCL.x86_64 : Mesa OpenCL runtime library
mesa-libOpenCL.i686 : Mesa OpenCL runtime library87
mesa-libOpenCL-devel.i686 : Mesa OpenCL development package
mesa-libOpenCL-devel.x86_64 : Mesa OpenCL development package
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf install mesa-libOpenCL
[sudo] password for tarulia: 
Last metadata expiration check: 1:21:26 ago on Thu 12 Mar 2020 16:07:12 CET.
Package mesa-libOpenCL-19.2.8-1.fc31.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

So that’s not it unfortunately :frowning:

I do have an idea of what is happening though… So in the System Info Panel it says:

OpenCL: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'libOpenCL.so': libOpenCL.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I can see why:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ ldconfig -p | grep libOpenCL
        libOpenCL.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libOpenCL.so.1
        libOpenCL.so.1 (libc6) => /lib/libOpenCL.so.1

I’ve had this issue with libgamemode before and the fix was essentially a package update providing this:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ ls -l /usr/lib | grep libgamemode
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       20 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemodeauto.so -> libgamemodeauto.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       24 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemodeauto.so.0 -> libgamemodeauto.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x.  1 root root    15192 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemodeauto.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       16 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemode.so -> libgamemode.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       20 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemode.so.0 -> libgamemode.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x.  1 root root    19448 Jan 23 15:54 libgamemode.so.0.0.0

So I could probably create a symlink libOpenCL.so -> libOpenCL.so.1, but I’m not sure I really wanna fuck around with system libs…

two questions from a first-time folder:

1. I’m going to get my secondary gpu (normally for gaming VM) set up to fold. it’s an nvidia gpu, while the host is amd. would installing opencl-nvidia and cuda (as mentioned above) cause issues?

2. fah is making good use of my cpu, but i have a lot more ram than it’s using. can i configure anything to allow more usage, or does it just not need it?

thx