Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

My server is still going and should keep folding throughout the summer. I'm hoping to upgrade my desktop gpu and put my GTX 680 in the server to fold aswell.

3 Likes

still churning away.. team rank of 53, not bad for a cpu only server thats 8 years old.. haha

3 Likes

Just switched from Ubuntu Server 16.04 to Fedora Server 25 and got it folding on both GPUs and the CPU. Updates on ubuntu caused the folding to start failing and it was just time for a fresh install and switch. This means newer drivers so hopefully I'll increase my PPD a bit, and maybe I'll get a touch more reliability with it.

1 Like

got a second 980ti now. Need to get it on water but will be running both from time to time if its not to warm.

1 Like

My little folding box crashed a couple of days ago, it had months of uptime though. Bad RAM most likely. Been looking at alternative GPU's for Folding, the 1060 3GB looks kinda garbage for gaming but good for folding. Maybe the new Radeons will launch finally and pricing drop a little. Hawaii gets good PPD numbers, but have too high power draw. A 1060 3GB looks like it would get similar PPD at almost a third of the power.

I just checked this morning, Level1Techs team is now rank 173! This is incredible. Top 100 here we come!

Nice!

Not sure how long I can keep folding though, the entire apartment was 22Ā°C this morning. That's with all the heating turned off (as it has been for 2 months now) and both computers' GPUs running.
I may turn off the 770 because it generates as much heat as the 1070 while only making 1/6 of the PPD. That should keep me running at around 650K PPD a couple more weeks instead of the 800K I'm doing now.

EDIT : WTF Pholo? That crash must have cost you a lot of time/points! You were 2-3 million ahead of me the last time I checked !

1 Like

Just saw this topic now, been folding officially for about a day right now with a 4790K and 970. Really great opportunity, and hopefully I can contribute something!

2 Likes

I have an idea: Why don't people use this instead of benchmarking software to test the stability of their systems/overclock?

It would make a lot more contributions given that some people run their benchmarks overnight. Even better if it's been popularized among the tech youtubers who benchmark crazy overkill builds.

2 Likes

Just broke into the top 50 with nothing more than an Intel NUC!
You guys need to start getting more active. This team will never break the top 100 if you're relying on guys like me with a mini PC pushing a 4K monitor and folding on the side.

1 Like

Maybe on a cool day I'll run my 1080ti while I watch movies

Currently in position 167 but we're # 81 in the monthly team stats so we should be climbing slowly towards that top 100 position.
I had to stop folding on one of the PCs because the outside temperature is too high now. Only folding on the 1070 and even that has been turned off last week because it was too hot.

What we really need is shout-outs in the L1 News etc. That might get more people involved.
Perhaps I should bribe Wendell with Belgian pralines. :smile:

2 Likes

That might work, I'll see what local snacks I can send his way to help.

1 Like

I'd do the same, but shipping chocolate in this weather is a bad idea. I'll bribe him sometime when it's colder. That'll also attract more people once they figure out that the cost is offset by the fact that the heater doesn't have to work that hard when the PC is also generating tons of heat.

1 Like

My fans have definitely spun up. Added my machine to the level1 teams for a bit gtx580 gtx1060 and a couple of e5 v1 2760. Looks like the 2 cpus and the gtx1060 are about equal. the gtx580 apparently takes 7 days to do what the cpus or gtx1060 can do in an hour and a half.

2 Likes

Not sure if bringing this post back to life is the correct decision or if there is a newer FAH resource on the forums, but Iā€™ve decided to throw my hat into the ring after discovering my gtx750ti is actually a very efficient folding card, averaging ~70w and estimated to turn >55k points per day (with an ID). My CPU is not worth folding on, the G3258 being slightly less wattage at a folding peak of 66w, but estimated to only generate ~2k points per day. Also most of the time I can run folding on the GPU without noticing (pause for games only), the CPU has to be set to fold on idle only (which will drop its actual points even lower) because it feels noticeably laggy to use the PC while folding otherwise.

Also Iā€™m new to this entire thing, so any tips, tricks or setup things would be appreciated.

1 Like

Nope, this is the right thread. Itā€™s just a bit quiet here during the summer because most people only fold in the winter (when the heat isnā€™t that much of an issue).

I wouldnā€™t fold on the CPU either. It requires way too much power for the amount of PPD it actually generates. A GPU is way more efficient.

Manually pausing when you want to play a game becomes second nature. Just donā€™t watch your scores too much or youā€™ll get competitive and end up not gaming at all because ā€œat this rate, Iā€™ll be able to overtake forum member X in Y amount of days if I fold 24/7 and donā€™t gameā€.

Awesome. Fair enough about heat output, its the end of winter for me though due to my southern hemisphere location so daily temps are down to 22Ā°c (71Ā°f) so heat isnā€™t an issue right now. Still I suspect even though my system is pretty low wattage for the summer (your mid winter) Iā€™ll still be opting out of any folding, as even here on the coast of southern QLD Australian heat can decide take no prisoners (although still way better than the hottest I saw back when I was in central Australia, a staggering 49Ā°c\120Ā°f).

Also lol, yeah I can see myself being that competitive about it all, but I donā€™t think a single gtx750ti will get high enough in rankings to actually kick me off about it, and with local power prices a fixed rate of just over $0.25/kwh Iā€™m not about to fold on any of my server old hardware I mess with. The ~$200 a year the gtx750ti would cost for running 24/7 is mildly acceptable given its towards a good cause, a pile of xeons probably less so. But curious what other people in the teams power price or estimated annual folding contribution is.

EDIT: A question, what does the ā€œFolding Powerā€ setting actually change? Iā€™m currently at Medium, but I donā€™t know if I should be running Full overnight ect.

I havent touched folding since winter and I think I lost it when windows died on me a while ago. (just another thing to add to the install list) but its how much load you put on the hardware. medium is around 80% I think. full takes the stops out so it will push the hardware full tilt. low is 50% I think.

2 Likes

Just turned in my 11th Work Unit (WU)ā€¦ so first bonus score!

I know its taken a while, but for some reason I seem to get mainly large WU, not complaining mind, but it interests me that right from my very first till now there has been nobody in the group who had more score but less WUā€¦ even though though as before mentioned that was with no bonus score, which makes a crazy difference. Indeed the 11th WU gave 30% of the score of all those that came before, even though it was a lot lower base score than most had been. Not sure if this trend to high base score WU is because Iā€™m only folding with a graphics card (all corex21 in this case), or if projects are just getting harder with time.

However this has lead me to another few (basically noob) questions;
+Firstly the dumbest, on the Win10 client is there anyway to launch on system start, preferably without webcontrol opening (regarding the latter I notice a setting under the expert tab, but also a warning to touch it).
+Is there any way to select WU preferred size?
+Finally is there any way to save manually? I can set the checkpoint more often, but can can I save on command? Its painful to see a few percent shaved off each time I shut down (which I have taken to doing while asleep for noise), especially as returning later will now hurt my newfound bonus points (which even competitiveness and jokes aside are supposed to represent usefulness of work done).

1 Like