Level1 News: 2016-12-20: AMD Ryzen out the ai? | Level One Techs

With apologies for the title!
00:17 -- Late News Next Week Because Holiday
00:58 -- Updates! Pebble Smart Watch
02:11 -- Verizon Note 7 will be allowed to die forever
03:50 -- Bad battery life on the new mac pro?
06:04 -- Stories About Cashlessness
07:04 -- Blocking Sites in Australia
08:20 -- China Taking Action On Stuff

09:14 -- The Technical News -- AMD Ryzen Meta Comments
12:14 -- Hot Hardware Article
14:27 -- Desktop Parts for Ryzen vs Intel Landscape
16:33 -- Florida Man Jeopardizes Constitutional Amendment through idiocy
17:45 -- US Mandate: Cars Must Talk To Eachother
19:30 -- Privacy Implications of Cars Broadcasting
21:49 -- Facbebooks Fake News Algorithm
23:20 -- Router Exploits as the new battle ground for malware
24:59 -- Self plug
25:25 -- Ransomware 2.0: Abduct your friends files for fun and profit!
27:00 -- Yahoo Hack and Verizon Backlash
31:08 -- Icelands Borehole and Super Critical Steam
32:27 -- QR Codes for lost and found (people)
36:04 -- Level1 Year-end mini-update
37:30 -- End of video. Or is it?
37:39 -- News Bonus Round: The Amazing GateBox
44:25 -- The Forums Are Open, especially for the cripplingly lonely? :)

OneTab Source Articles:
http://www.one-tab.com/page/nlhvZTCLQlmDoD7mCdEuLQ

Waifu Links:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-2016-12-20-amd-ryzen-out-ai
11 Likes

That thumbnail....10/10

That ending....10/10

The somewhat longer and 10 minute shorter video....priceless

I still do not get why anyone bought Yahoo, I was hearing it was for back end stuff but really.....
being attached to them was a bad move...made worse by this.

1 Like

Correction: There was a correction this week.
Was not x86 emulation but win32. Microsoft would already be in court with intel if it was x86 emulation

Note 7 you get full refund + $100 if you go through samsung directly.
Most carriers will just swap the phone if you bring it to them

1 Like

They seemed to be saying both, though, that it worked better if you recompile (leading to my speculation about dual architecture binaries) but you didn't HAVE TO recompile.
I know there is inline assembler..somewhere.. in photoshop. Can't not be.

Verge and other sources say emulation:

-- though thats key here. I suspect that if the OS itself is not emulated, that's a pretty decent thing in terms of not bogging things down to insanely slow levels to bridge the gap with x86. Will it be enough to skirt intel? I doubt it. But being able to run x86 .exe? That's an intel binary in most cases. Microsoft could be a bit misleading there, sure, possibly. Have the patents expired on 386/486? Oh crap 1985 for the 386 and 1993 for the Pentium -- that might be it. They may only be doing everything up through the Pentium because of expired patents what-- 20 years? Interesting.

1 Like

Motherboard reviews we have to wait for till January.
Hmmz iĀ“m getting currious about that. :-)

4 Likes

Crippling loneliness cured via waifu

5 Likes

im thinking AM4 aka zen boards

Crippling loneliness cured by ....Bees ;You should keep them. Learn how by reading the Level1techs' Beekeeping section on the forum

2 Likes

Note 7 survivor here. My carrier is AT&T. Besides the time wasted visiting the store (twice) and setting up my phone (thrice), it is fair to say I came out ahead.

My Note 3 (the best phone I've had besides the 7) was ruined on a fishing trip so I swapped it for a Note 7- days after its launch. At the time, Samsung had a special promotion going on where you could pick from either a free Samsung VR Gear or, which I selected, a 256 GB SD card. After about 3 weeks of hearing daily doomsday reports and "thermal events" being sent to me by all of my family and friends, I pussed out. I traded my phone in after feeling a fully cooked baked potato in my pocket from leaving the GPS + Gmaps on. My particular 7 never had any heating issues with any other apps except when Gmaps was on.

Swapping it out was a breeze, but where I was really lucky was through Samsung promotions. I was able to apply my second replacement phone for a second round of Samsung promotional items and got a 2nd free 256 GB SD card. Feelin pretty good at this point.

Then the replacement phones started going nuclear and I really held out as long as I could before a battery limiter update made the phone unusable. So I went back in to AT&T, got my $100 to exchange for an S7Edge and applied its' promotion to get a free VR Gear!

Moving all my apps/data was a pain, but the Samsung Switch app was accurate and I didn't lose anything from phone to phone except my time and patience. And all told- I'm definitely up. The S7Edge is fine, but damn that Note 7 was beastly. Damn

The Bonus News Round was great. Ryan building up the features of the desktop-digital-waifu-thingy made me laugh.

1 Like

The saddest thing about that video was the extremely positive like ratio. It's incredible that people actually want/like something like that. inb4 i start getting called a waifuphobe.

My Note 7 Story

I got the Note 7 through Sprint before the original clam that they were catching on fire emerged. I waited for about a month for the replacement Note (2nd batch) to come, and then the second clam was announced that these were catching on fire as well. So after Samsung officially came out and said that they were recalling the phones, I went back into Sprint and was told that I could go to any phone and either pay or get back the difference of the phone I went to (at that time the note was the most expense phone they had). Also when I bought the Note 7, Samsung had a promotion that you could get the Galaxy s7 or s7 Edge for free. I ended up going to the Galaxy s7 Edge and got close to $100 put towards it, did not have to pay for activation and was able to keep the free phone. I was more than happy how Sprint handled it.

Oh my god I want that Hatsune Miku AI. I know I'm weird but whatever. I like anime, I like vocaloid and that thing looks cool. To be fair it's probably not nearly as amazing as the video makes it out to be and you get one of those and you're basically guaranteed to be forever alone but assuming it did work the way it does in the video it'd be cool, weird as all hell but cool.

@wendell I liked the bonus part, until i realized this waifu is part off the IOT (lights on texting, etc) than it became really funny when @Rian piled on the features.
also , nice to see that you learned something about video lighting from clickbait

Japan keeps getting weirder, and not in a good way. What the hell happened to that land of samurai and ninjas? I can't stand anime.

Watching the bonus round be like :

1 Like

Cracking ending. I want to try this digital waifu out now :D

Dowant gate box.

• really really really hoping ryzen is at least performant enough to push down lintels prices.
1 Like

I would very much like to have that Gatebox thing as a personal assistant. As in, an interface I can rely on to watch my home while I'm away. Perhaps report all the peculiar events and outages while I've been away, or let me review any irregular security footage. Warn me it will rain, and other useful reminder stuff.

However, I don't want:
- Emotional manipulation.
- A personal assistant with any loyalty to someone else than myself (in the spyware privacy hackable personal data and integrity sense).
- A subsidized commercial persona subliminally suggesting further product purchases. I'd rather have a drawing figure doll, a clay man, or Gyro's Little Helper.

Speaking of personal assistant @wendell, I recall you working out a voice-controlled personal assistant thing back in the TS days to some degree. It would be fun to see how far one can take that compared to any of the non-waifu functionalities Gatebox provides (of which I am sure there are many). Not that it is necessarily a good idea to necro that project, I just came to think of it as something that could end up as a fun DIY kit.

1 Like

Or Z270 boards.