Level1 News: 2016-12-20: AMD Ryzen out the ai? | Level One Techs

Same. I want AMD to succeed not because I am an AMD fanboi but because I want some real competition to Intel (and AMD doing well is I'd say good for Intel as opposed to Qualcomm doing well).

2 Likes

So, Wendell's worried about the government knowing the MAC address of your car.

But don't cars have license plate numbers, which are also identifiers ?

He also said, that this technology could be used to issue speeding tickets.

But what if , it could be instead used to automatically limit your speed, based on the speed limit of the area, so there will be no more speeding tickets.

Rocking my new Anime avatar. Wendell and Ryan you both need to come home. I'm making crazy Amazon purchases:) I had no idea that lube came in fifty gallon drums....lol

3 Likes

That's a dangerous thing. What if you need to get someone to the hospital in an emergency and there's no time to wait for an ambulance? You're going to drive there yourself, and not at the speed limit.

As for the other part, license plates are identifiers indeed. However it only tells the government where you are at the moment you pass a camera that can read plates.
When a car is tracked via MAC and WiFi, you won't be able to go anywhere without the government knowing all the details of your route etc.

Doubtful. The only am4 boards that exist are cheap OEM ones for the APUs.

Probably Z270. So basically Z170 but with the 1 crossed out and changed to a 2

Real humans are gross they have fluids, emotions and sentience.

This is much better.

3 Likes

The license plate isn't as traceable as a MAC address. The government could create mandatory connectivity checkpoints along roadways that connect to your car automatically every X miles or exit/intersection that could track your cars mac address.

I must admit ever since the first AMD 64 chips I've been a fan, I bought their first dual core, the ... x2 4200 I think it was called and it blew me away. since then like everyone else I've been pretty disappointed. Intel has squeezed everything they can out of the core architecture by the looks of it, I can't see Intel putting in the investment and taking the risk of completely shaking up their product line unless someone else forces them to and as you say AMD is our only hope in that respect.

Yeah literally anyone could trace you then, anyone with a raspberry pi could log all the mac addresses that went past. Sure you could do this currently with a camera and some machine vision AI or something. but the difficulty is much more difficult than the trivial effort it would take to track mac addresses broadcast in already computer readable format and not even requiring line of sight night or day.

Fantastic episode!

... and that bonus material!

@ryan @wendell

Not sure if you have seen it but check out "Her" it explores the concepts of AI and Love. It is very well done and quite funny at parts. Seems highly relevant for the Gatebox discussion.

2 Likes

Computer generated girls are nothing new, this is just the latest iteration.

I was going to make a snarky comment like "Wake me when she can clean the house" but then I realized WiFi connected smart vacs are a thing so... wait, how much did that cost again?

I loved the news bonus round, please make more stuff like that!

Definitely one of my all-time favorite @wendell quotes :D
". . . and instead of reading the news or making sure that the corporate overlords are not putting the planet in the shitter, he's talking to his anime wife."

2 Likes

It should be worth saying that while a mac address should be unique it isn't that uncommon to find that it isn't the case. Vendors have intentionally and by mistake assigned the same MAC Address to multiple devices in the past. I've read before that in some cases vendors will use the same mac address' for different zones(ie the us market will not duplicate but the they might use the same range on cards sold in say asia). I don't know if that is true or how often it happens though.

I've seen a few times over the years in big deployments where you will find multiple machines end up with the same mac address. I think the last time I saw it two cell phones ended up having the same address.

I want that waifu bot, now. ;w;

CORRECTION!

The anime character is not Hatsune Miku, it's Azuma Hikari and she was created just for this product. http://gatebox.ai/hikari/en/ That's why she wears an apron with an egg on it, she is kinda like a very traditional stay at home wife... that can't actually cook or do laundry. I guess she could order you pizza though. At least she is supposed to be 20 years old. It would be kinda weird if it was Miku, since she is 16 years old (which is probably legal in japan, but still).

1 Like

They got wiped out by the capitalist government. As cool as swords and ninja start are they don't stand a chance against machine guns.

The whole point of speeding tickets is to get more money out of people. If everyone stops speeding they will come up with something else to get you pay again.

@wendell @twindell Internet forums will not cure my crippling loneliness. I need a pretty girlfriend that is made out of bone and flesh. But since I am socially awkward I will probably never get one. Again digital communication will never replace face to face interaction.

This anime waifu hologram is only going to make people who buy it more pathetic than they already are. The so called Otaku or NEETs are essentially embracing the fact that they fail as human being. Unable to find a mate, make an offspring and pass on the knowledge/skills they have obtained. They are a failure as a species.

I think the more realistic solution to this is to visit psychiatrist and take regular dose of testosterone.

That Gatebox thing is just another symptom of a big problem in Japanese society. Not enough kids are being born. Why? Well you actually need to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex for that to happen. And it is not only the young men being too nerdy, insecure whatever, it's problem for young women too. They have very unrealistic expectations for example.
I don't know how to tackle the problem really, but it is very real.

1 Like