Level1 Linux: We're back, here's our roadmap | Level One Techs

@wendell, I've got success with passthrough with nvidia GPUs on pretty much any distro I've tried out. Let me know if you want any support with this, but I'm sure you've got it under control. I'm working on a few different and crazy things in my spare time, but I don't have much of that lately.

Happy to hear about the mail server videos. I'm arguably the last person to need those though. I'm using fastmail and loving it.

@Goalkeeper If you're interested in learning about mail hosting I highly recommend this tutorial https://workaround.org/ispmail/jessie I started my own linux mailserver many many years ago with an earlier version of this.

@ibert vps usually don't have much storage, if you need some TBs online, maybe look into the cheaper OVH servers from soyoustart: https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ OVH is one, if not the biggest, hosting provider for dedicated servers (and webhosting and VPS). I ran several servers with them and still have a small server for my mailserver, website, etc. with them.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into that.

I look forward to the videos about the unix based OS' or software you have contributed to, either in the capacity as a lead maintainer or developer, or even just as a basic developer.

From what I have noticed in the fora over the years is that your *nix audience tends to be that of an undergraduate level. I would think by showing these kids some of the things they will absolutely need to get their foor in any enterprise door, ie; containerisation technologies, compilers, debuggers, version control, CI, Python, Vex, C++, Hscript, Atlassian, Ansible, Elastic Search, LDAP, Docker, GitHub, SVN, Jenkins, Radius, Bind, Zabbix, Nagios/Icinga etc.

1 Like

Hey Wendell.

Just a noob to this site.

I would like to see some stuff on GPU passthru on the X99 platform too.

Gaming is the only thing that holds me to Windows and I don't even play that many games.

I do need Windows. But, I can virtualize the rest of it.

Cheers

You should give this a read, it is very informative post about PCIe passthrough.

3 Likes

Really loving linux stuff lately , getting right into it

Would love to do a GPU passthou , but I have a feeling my
Intel E3-1230v3 (haswell 3.3ghz quad core + HT) Wouldnt do it

VT-d (Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is supported according to Intel, so it should work.

1 Like

I'll work with an E3-1230v3 but you'd need two dedicated GPUs as the Xeon doesn't have onboard graphics.

Thanks
Ive got an GTX660 and R9 380 (current)

Might even have an old ATI HD something passive
HTPC card if it doesnt need to be fancy

1 Like

This is a good channel, i could see it becoming bigger than the main one within a few years.

1 Like

I tried learn to code for several years and always failed. I don't know if I'm too dumb or whether it's the dyslexia but at certain complexity I don't understand the code anymore. I could spent my entire life learning Java and I would not be able to make simple temperature converter.

Not really sure why any individual would need a mail server when we have ProtonMail and Posteo. And maintaining such server is a full time job.

A simple postfix and dovecot server could be super handy for handling network system mail.

1 Like

@wendell Linus is summoning you to the WAN show. You should do that.

Got a reference?

Yesterday's WAN show. The one after Linus's vasectomy.

I don't regularly watch that show, was hoping for a time stamped video link :-) okay okay I'll do the work myself ;-)

It's not that bad. It's probably tagged in the description.

Agreed got my Pfsence firewall up with alot of addons not enabled yet yes my pipe is alittle slow AT&T not quit as fast as Comcast but It what i can live with at this time always in the mode to learn something new getting better all the time.

Wouldn't be the first time. Wendell has been on the WAN show before
Let's hope it goes better than the last time

timestamped to 9m07s