Level1 Linux: We're back, here's our roadmap | Level One Techs

Here’s a quick rundown of the videos I’ve got in the pipeline for here that I’ve been working on over the last few weeks. And you’re welcome to let me know which ones you want to see.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-linux-were-back-heres-our-roadmap
21 Likes

Mail server videos would be the bomb!

6 Likes

Videos aside because idek computer, the articles are always very informative and a great accompaniment to the videos

1 Like

the vps/cpanel video looked good in the patreom preview and i am looking forward to the other video's
@wendell can you tell me if having a vps for a few dollars could help out with storage issues on a home network before you would need to build/buy a nas?

I'll look forward to all of them, but the VPS in particular.

1 Like

My patreon money seems well spent ;)

2 Likes

ESR! Yes!! :D

3 Likes

Whatever happened to the ESR content that was supposed to happen? There was the PC build but weren't there supposed to be more videos with him? Either way, really excited about some new stuff. Also, speaking of Bryan Lunduke, any content with him in the future?

VPS stuff is awesome!

1 Like

My bet is that most of that content has half-beard in it, so I highly doubt that it'll air here.

3 Likes

I never expected it to be on this channel. Mostly that it was supposed to come out when Tek Syndicate was a thing but never happened. Best to get new content anyway.

I hope that never happens. That guy is really arrogant. I hate him.

@wendell, I've got success with passthrough with nvidia GPUs on pretty much any distro I've tried out. Let me know if you want any support with this, but I'm sure you've got it under control. I'm working on a few different and crazy things in my spare time, but I don't have much of that lately.

Happy to hear about the mail server videos. I'm arguably the last person to need those though. I'm using fastmail and loving it.

@Goalkeeper If you're interested in learning about mail hosting I highly recommend this tutorial https://workaround.org/ispmail/jessie I started my own linux mailserver many many years ago with an earlier version of this.

@ibert vps usually don't have much storage, if you need some TBs online, maybe look into the cheaper OVH servers from soyoustart: https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ OVH is one, if not the biggest, hosting provider for dedicated servers (and webhosting and VPS). I ran several servers with them and still have a small server for my mailserver, website, etc. with them.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into that.

I look forward to the videos about the unix based OS' or software you have contributed to, either in the capacity as a lead maintainer or developer, or even just as a basic developer.

From what I have noticed in the fora over the years is that your *nix audience tends to be that of an undergraduate level. I would think by showing these kids some of the things they will absolutely need to get their foor in any enterprise door, ie; containerisation technologies, compilers, debuggers, version control, CI, Python, Vex, C++, Hscript, Atlassian, Ansible, Elastic Search, LDAP, Docker, GitHub, SVN, Jenkins, Radius, Bind, Zabbix, Nagios/Icinga etc.

1 Like

Hey Wendell.

Just a noob to this site.

I would like to see some stuff on GPU passthru on the X99 platform too.

Gaming is the only thing that holds me to Windows and I don't even play that many games.

I do need Windows. But, I can virtualize the rest of it.

Cheers

You should give this a read, it is very informative post about PCIe passthrough.

3 Likes

Really loving linux stuff lately , getting right into it

Would love to do a GPU passthou , but I have a feeling my
Intel E3-1230v3 (haswell 3.3ghz quad core + HT) Wouldnt do it

VT-d (Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O) is supported according to Intel, so it should work.

1 Like

I'll work with an E3-1230v3 but you'd need two dedicated GPUs as the Xeon doesn't have onboard graphics.