Level1 Linux: We're back, here's our roadmap | Level One Techs

Thanks
Ive got an GTX660 and R9 380 (current)

Might even have an old ATI HD something passive
HTPC card if it doesnt need to be fancy

1 Like

This is a good channel, i could see it becoming bigger than the main one within a few years.

1 Like

I tried learn to code for several years and always failed. I don't know if I'm too dumb or whether it's the dyslexia but at certain complexity I don't understand the code anymore. I could spent my entire life learning Java and I would not be able to make simple temperature converter.

Not really sure why any individual would need a mail server when we have ProtonMail and Posteo. And maintaining such server is a full time job.

A simple postfix and dovecot server could be super handy for handling network system mail.

1 Like

@wendell Linus is summoning you to the WAN show. You should do that.

Got a reference?

Yesterday's WAN show. The one after Linus's vasectomy.

I don't regularly watch that show, was hoping for a time stamped video link :-) okay okay I'll do the work myself ;-)

It's not that bad. It's probably tagged in the description.

Agreed got my Pfsence firewall up with alot of addons not enabled yet yes my pipe is alittle slow AT&T not quit as fast as Comcast but It what i can live with at this time always in the mode to learn something new getting better all the time.

Wouldn't be the first time. Wendell has been on the WAN show before
Let's hope it goes better than the last time

timestamped to 9m07s

I feel your pain, I have AT&T as well.

not looking to manage a mail server more of how to do it learning something new help with career choices the more you know the more your worth!

As a learning experience and to have full control over your own data. I'm a sysadmin for linux by day and I use my private mail/web server as a testing ground. And you can automate a lot of the maintenance and reporting, so the server can run mostly on its own.

But I wouldn't recommend running your own (mail/web)-server if you don't have any experience with running a server.

1 Like

I have been testing with mailcow. Maybe worth a try?

Ha, I'm actually running that VM-at-home-tunneling-to-VPS mail server setup.
What I added to that was a BIND9 server pointing machines on the home network to the VM instead of the VPS so that I wouldn't be making a loop through the public internet when accessing the mail server from home.
A funny thing that happened last week as I was away from home was I noticed I could no longer view the website I'm hosting at home, but could connect to the mail server, which at first seemed odd as they both run on the same physical host. I then SSHed into the VPS, looked at the active network connections to it and saw 2 unfamiliar addresses connecting to port 1194 - 1 being the address of my mobile data connection and the other being the unexpectedly changed (typically static) public IP of my home connection.

I can't wait for the public interface VPS video. I hate my ISP so much for blocking all of my incoming ports. Thank you so much for all the great content. :)

Yep.

You also need motherboard support for VT-D.

I think that is pretty much guaranteed with an X99 board.

You may need to go into BIOS and turn it on though.

VT-D is pretty much guaranteed on Z87/Z97 boards and probably a lot of H87/H97 boards as well, also the E3-1230v3 is a socket LGA1150 chip and should work on any 1150 socket motherboard, even consumer boards with H and Z chipsets. It is a poor mans i7 with a slightly lower clock speed and no overclocking/onboard graphics.

Ahh it is a 1150 socket!

The lack of overclocking is probably good thing in this case.

The Haswell -K variants usually don't support VT-D. eg. 4770 has VT-D; 4770K doesn't.

1 Like