Least noisey USB AM4 motherboard?

I’m upgrading my PC and i’ve picked out the ASRock B450****, and because my budget is tighter than an Anaconda I need something that isn’t going to fail me. I dont need thunderbolt, i’ll get an expansion card when i can afford a better interface.

1 Like

And the question is …?
Seriously, you have basically told us and asked us nothing in that post.

4 Likes

So confused
B85m and AM4?

2 Likes

Ah sorry. I forgot I wasn’t talking in a recording forum.

I want an AM4 Motherboard which has the least noise for usb adc recording at high fidelity.

USB is not noisy its digital

1 Like

Do you want me to show you the noise on my current motherboard? Because, its is LITERALLY a fact that USB can be noisey. Digital or not, the actual chipset can create noise.

You mean off the front pannel?

Then go ALC 1220 or something, but in general I agree… USB is digital and from that point forward just look at the characteristics of the sound chip.

1 Like

Well would the soundchip matter, because im writing via the VBUS? Wouldn’t it be more about the USB chipset. Either way how, is there any site i can use to look into the signal to noise ratios and such?

Are you plugged into the front pannel USB port on where your getting your noise?

I’m not using a modern motherboard. I’m still on Intel 1151. On a very low end motherboard at that. Every single port has noise.

The noise is coming from somewhere else. What are you plugging into the USB, and how do you know it’s not the source of the noise?

USB is a differential digital signal, noise is rejected by design, not to mention rather strict electrical specifications set by the USB-IF. Any remaining noise on the bus that might cause bit errors in the data-stream would get corrected by CRC and other error correcting methods implemented by the protocol.

However, if you’re using an external ADC, it could be susceptible to noise from any number of sources. That ADC is digitizing the noise along with your source material.

1 Like

Should mention there are power dropouts and my USB’s usually transfer less than 5V.

clyp.it/q5s2tkou

(im not a guitar player, this is just an example of a low sensitivity input, i recorded what i coud lol)

Theres 3 sections. 1. High gain. 2. High gain with a guitar in it. 3. me playing something…

There is no way it should make this l;eve of noise.

There is a reason motherboards have separated audio bits in the corner.
It doesn’t bother me, as I am not a sound guy, but have heard about this more from the built in audio.
Usually audio people just use plug in sound cards, not USB, but OP would probably benefit from audio forum feedback, I guess

??? I’m lost on OPs post. Is the issue with USB, Universal Serial Bus, or with the analog sound features of a motherboard?

NOTHING AT ALL to do with ANY audio input from the motherboard. I am recording THROUGH USB. I have not one even mentioned on the on board audio plugs ONCE!.

There’s no noise on the USB that will affect your audio… once it’s digital it’s protected. However, the audio can get corrupted at whatever is being used to capture it. Can you share what that device is?

Low VBUS can be an issue (more with DAC headphone amps and fancy RGB USB headsets), there are motherboards with ports that have an adjustable VBUS. My Gigabyte board has a feature called DAC UP 2 that I can program the voltage for.

1 Like

The USB signal itself might be protected from noise but it could be the connection to the computer, creating some kind of funky ground loop thats showing up in the interface. The hum I’m hearing is most certainly 60hz which indicates its not likely to be coming from the MB itself.

I would verify you’ve got your interface plugged up to the same outlet as your PC and verify everything in the signal chain.

1 Like

When your DAC/Audio interface has noise from USB, someone has not done their job when they designed the circuit in the thing.

Maybe you got yourself a ground loop, in which case either of these two will help:

1 Like

Yup, I can attest that it’s a ground loop.

iFi sells something specifically for this:

Isolates the ground from your PC and allows you to use an external power supply. Reduced noise by a TON.

Also, the Zoom U-22 has this feature built in. Just switch the power so that it uses the microUSB power rather than the USB power and that should theoretically also solve the problem:

4 Likes