Lbry?

So I’ve been introduced to this new video platform after watching this half hour long video

has some odd quirks im not used to being blockchain and all. At the moment, to get all the features of the platform I had to download a desktop app but whatever I’m feeling experimental. I didnt see a way to make a “traditional” account but the closest thing I found was uploading a video to give myself a handle, kewldude007, obviously.

whenever thats done uploading I’ll link it here, nothing special, just a clip of Logan eating a banana.

Anyone else using this or looked into it?

Ive been trying to use it for a while now. The platform is extraordinarily buggy except for those who have ipv6 connected to streamers … Otherwise the resolve is buggy at best … Due to all the NATing required to keep shitty v4 Alive… But perhaps that’s why they do it. No unique IP addresses is a great wat to combat decentralization.

If you change DNS providers to open nic or quad 9 or cloudflare it works best… Any ISP DNS server its very buggy … Some channels don’t resolve

Anyways its decent I wish it was much better but its okay

It’s been awhile since I last tried it, but when I did give it a shot it was near unusable.

that thing is still around?? man I signed up when it was just another ICO, back in like 2014 I think, and it was just launching.

They say they launched in 2018… They must have done a reboot cuz they had coins to give/mine and basic stuff back in like 2015-16.

I don’t know. I’m at a point where anything with “Blockchain” in it, that isn’t a Crypto Currency, makes me suspicious.

I agree with the premise, that there needs to be a youtube alternative. Also, having the option to directly pay the creator for their content is great. I think i’d like the Bandcamp or Twitch model a bit more.

The fact remains, that for most people, there can’t be a competitor because of the lack of content.
For myself, i watch maybe 5-10 channels actively. Where ever they are, i’m fine with that. So if 4 or 5 of those decide to go with Lbry, I’d be happy to give it a shot.

I think its interesting, probably a good idea.

tl;dr: its blockchain/distributed content hosting platform, with crypto currency baked in.

I too am a bit skeptical blockchain/crypto hype, but the idea seems fairly solid.

The crypto currency thing actually seems like a decent fit as it allows content creators to get paid for the content the produce (users can tip/donate directly) without the worry of censorship/etc.

Breaking the blockchain because someone gets buttmad and wants someone deplatformed, probably isn’t going to happen, especially if the devs wind up profiting from the crypto-currency.

additionally, the crypto currency could allow the devs to sort of bootstrap and self fund if it catches on.

You actually download the videos to your pc that you watch instead of “streaming” them, though they have a web player of sorts built in that plays as it downloads.

It ain’t perfect, but Its a good idea so i’m gonna keep fiddling with it. Software/platforms/etc can be built on the best tech and ideas, but if there aren’t any users they don’t do any good and wind up dying.

edit- while i’m shilling cool/interesting software
go install keybase
gpg/pgp encrypted chat/team chat/file hosting&sharing/git repos and they recently-ish added support for stellar wallets.
you can use your own keys instead of having one generated for you if you’d like.

also look into IPFS
bit torrent based filesystem/ web stuff

The biggest problem these types of networks have - how are they solving the “going viral” problem?

In a nutshell, there you are with 10k subscribers chugging happily along on one of the servers in the network… And BOOOM you make a really great video that goes completely viral. Views skyrocket from around 20 a minute to 200 000 a minute… For a day or two. Then it goes back to normal, never to come back again.

Meanwhile you sit there with a server that had a meltdown and almost burned up your house. This problem is a deal breaker.

Not so long ago “everybody” was leaving youtube for DTube. Is this any different?

Well, yes and no. No, because everything that can serve video is going to be billed as “the place everyone disgruntled with YouTube is going”. Go figure, casting a wide net for users.

Yes, because it’s a different approach. Sure, DTube or Floatplane or fill-in-the-blank service is another platform. This is trying to cut the idea of a platform out in a way. Conceptually cool, in practice probably junk - often the first draft of a great idea.

And BOOOM you make a really great video that goes completely viral. Views skyrocket from around 20 a minute to 200 000 a minute… For a day or two.

This is the problem with a lot of up and coming attempts at media distribution. It’s really hard to handle runaway success once you’ve got something that starts getting it right.

I’ve suggested to L1T a few times about uploading to LBRY but was not met with friendly response. If I aren’t outright ignored, they delete my posts claiming I’m advertising for the platform or something…

So I assume L1T are HOSTILE towards LBRY for some reason, which is kinda weird given how open the platform is. But whatever…

The thread was not deleted, it was flagged as spam by a user, and confirmed by a moderator, by mistake.

I can’t speak to why L1T is not on LBRY, because I’m not part of the core team. I’ll try to get an answer for you.

I honestly think it wasn’t the right time, now is a better time to think about it since Bryan Lunduke and EEVblog and even EposVox have started to take it seriously.

1 Like

My point wasn’t that it should replace YT, just supplement it.
The sooner you start to do that the better IMO.

But YT isn’t all that bad when you contrast it with whats recently happened over at twitch, lol

On one hand, the cryptocurrency thing always gives off a shady vibe but on the other I do really think that some other payment method needs to be used given that the big payment processors obviously target unwelcome projects.

1 Like

And what happened? Girls with big t*** are above the law again?

i beg to differ, but ok.

even t***** can’t save you from the RIAA

tl;dr RIAA is sending dmca to streamers for using music
devin nash has a whole video breaking it down if you are interested

Thx I will look in my spare time.
In general, twitch doesn’t interest me that much. The only thing I see sometimes is teampgp. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no issue with the DMCA on music, I do think there should be a deal made but twitch could do that deal (to attract people over to them) They could also link prime music with their streamers to have a shared music thing still exist. There is a ton of issues and solutions, twitch is just finally getting what they deserved the entire time.

2 Likes

Its not that simple, even humming a song or having a parody mix of a song will get you flagged. They want to extend this to sound bites also, and possibly visuals (playing a game) at some point.

Keep in mind NINTENDO does all this horrific stuff atm, you must give them a cut in order to show their games.

DMCA is basically being HUGELY abused by mega corporations and it will one day ruin the vod/streaming industry.