L1's Garage

Hey. I bet it would be a hella amazing ticket to have to explain to the judge

Uhhh your honor look. This is a victimless crime

1 Like

I’ll tweet at Elon for assistance with the legal defense.

I’m sure he’d pitch in a lawyer or two.

1 Like

Inb4 Elon tweet be like

Only in California do you get a felony for consensual sex

:joy:

1 Like

really.

1 Like

:joy:

Omg wait for it… this commercial would be glorious

Tesla Full Self Driving: now with built in support for automated seat sex positions whether it be a blow job, missionary or cowgirls all day long. We got you covered!

Tesla… the way your meant to ride

Make Luke Bryan do the commercial :rofl:

Perhaps I just haven’t driven an engaging enough car yet.

I know this feeling, my last car ran a 225/40r/18 — 255/35r/19 set and without rotations I would only get like ~40k miles to a set with a sort-of-light car.

Ive driven everything from a Camry to a McLaren. Most engaging car I’ve driven was my turbo miata.

But I wouldn’t want to commute in it.

I’d like to say I keep an open mind but I’m pretty sure without a manual transmission a car just isn’t going to be very engaging for me.
Also I agree about commute in a manual, I just did 3 hours of LA traffic yesterday to pick up a server and I have renewed hatred for being stuck in a car.

Have you ever drove a mr2? specifically the 2nd generation turbocharged one

Honestly, there’s something about the electric engagement. It’s a direct response.

Nope, haven’t had the pleasure. The only MR2s I’ve been around have been on jackstands lol

It is direct, but all that I’ve driven feels “lifeless” to me even if they do have impressive amounts of power. I enjoy that feeling of power building up exponentially the faster I go making it feel like you can go as fast as you have the nerves to go instead of the flat or slightly tapering off of power the faster you go with EVs/supercharged cars.

hahaha, soo many of those cars got “modified” and then the ensuing reliability problems happened… I should not be throwing stones in a glass house though

Idk man, when I drove the model Y, it had next to zero acceleration falloff all the way to the 85mph store-imposed governor.

85mph felt like 40 in my Benz.

Using MPP’s dyno to illustrate my point. Toque at any given rpm/speed is what gives that rush feeling, ideally it would grow as rpm grew. The tesla’s got ~500 torques from 0-40mph, but by 70mph the amount of torque has halved, and it keeps going down from there giving that tapering off feeling.

As opposed to the most fun thing I’ve ever been on which has the torque build higher and higher until 4700rpm where the clutch decides it doesn’t need to work properly anymore.

I’m interested, what is it that torque keeps building?

What’s the gear ratio of your manual at 35mph?

How bout 70?

Take the Miata gearing for example. Specifically, look at the NA8A column, as that’s the configuration delivered in the US, and what I own.

first tops out at ~35mph.

Compare 2nd to 4th, which is your realistic gear for acceleration for a pull at 35-40mph vs a pull at 70mph.

Your torque is halved, simply due to the ratio.

The electric torque falloff is really not any different from a gas car.

1 Like

That’s a turbo car.

Or maybe really lazy vtec?

maybe a 1.6L making 12psi?

1 Like

This is how it felt riding my buddies Aprilia RSV4. That bike just felt like the faster and harder you pushed it the more it wanted to go. Literally only limited by how big your balls are.

2 Likes

A picture won’t do it justice because you won’t hear all the chirps so here:

you’re pretty much spot on, 1.2L @ 12 pounds

3 Likes

I’d be in 2nd gear for anywhere between 20-80mph assuming I’m goosing it; which is a 1.97 ratio

The gear ratio analogy does make some sense… but the rushing feeling you get is within a single gear and it’d take 2-3 gear changes before you halved your torque in most cars. If going from 40mph>70mph required that many gear changes (2) people would rag on the car for bad gear ratios nonstop.

I think a more fitting analogy would be a ice car with a cvt, it has the continual degrade of torque as vehicle speed increases.

cvt´s are kinda annoying to drive with in a ice car.