L1's Garage

Similar fuel economy to the 5.3L, plus you get 40 more horses and 17 more torques. Easy choice for me.

1 Like

True plus it looks like especially on the 2018 they really hammered out any reliability issue pretty much period

sigh my parts will arrive the day before I leave for a week.

1 Like

Well idk, but doesn´t this entirely drop the concept of EV’s down the drain?
I kinda agree with @PhaseLockedLoop on this,
if you life and work in a city where you have a relatively short travel distance,
to work and shopping etc then sure an EV would totally work.
But for longer distances i just don´t see this concept working.
It´s just better more time and cost effective to keep driving a fuell powered car then,
or you could of course go with an Hybrid.
But i still don´t really see the point of those either that much.
Because the full electrical range of hybrids isn´t really significant enough.

1 Like

The plug-in hybrids do seem kinda gimmicky unless you barely do any driving. I work with a guy who has a Chevy Volt and he says he basically gets to work and back on the battery. After that it kicks into hybrid mode where it’s basically just a regular hybrid car except it’s much more expensive because it has the ability to run full electric (for like 50 miles). But once the gas engine kicks in and it switches to normal hybrid mode he gets about 40mpg. Personally I’d rather buy a Prius, save about $7k on the car, get about 50mpg all the time, and never have to worry about charging.

Regular hybrids I get though. It’s not about range on battery. It’s about battery-assisted power which results in really good fuel economy. Like as much people rag on the Prius, if I just wanted a car that’s what I’d be driving.

It’s not so much this as much as it’s the engine being able to recharge the battery and use the EM to boost the acceleration which is the main cost of fuel with the ICE so hybrid kinda do make sense in an optimization regard. You can even do it on a V8 (see ram truck HEMI V8)

As for my regards to electric cars I’m still skeptical but I’m happy for the progress

Do you guys go on trips monthly or something? Driving an electric car is practically free to drive (depending on power costs). For example my car cost me 2¢ a mile, times that by the miles you drive a month, and the results should be very impressive. You can rent a car here for well under $50 a day, so unless you go on trips monthly, it’s very unlikely you’d lose money going electric.
I do topically say an EV is an “and car”. Like you have a truck and an EV.

Example for how much my EV cost me to drive:

I drive 320 miles to work and back (not including errands) in a month. At 2¢ a mile for 320 miles = $6.90. That’s an entire month of driving! Really it is quite wild how cheap these things are to drive.

If you want the full info my car generally goes 3.8 miles per kilowatt and I drive 75-85mph almost exclusively, but in town driving gets me an eazy 5 m/Kw (45-55mph) and if I try for it I’ve gotten 7 m/kw.

Typical for me, leadfoot & 75+ mph:

Running errands still leadfoot (40-60mph). I actually only have this picture because I noticed that both numbers were even numbers or whatever you’d call that.

Really working for the efficiency, I probably won’t drive this efficiently ever again (35-45mph

There’s the numbers if any of you care to crunch them. Please do post your findings, I know I am in a very good area for electric (very cheap power), so I’d love to see what it would cost in other areas.

4 Likes

This is like the perfect most practical truck tire ive seen

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+G015&partnum=765SR8G015OWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

What’s your total range on that thing, 120mi, I think you said?

My issue with electrics is range anxiety on sub 200mi range vehicles. The Miata only gets 250mi on a tank, but that’s a different thing, I think.

Yes i understand that.
But up here power is really expensive in comparison to the US.

EV’s are not an option for me, with my current work.
I just drive too much on a daily base.
And i don’t have time to calculate in re-charging times.
And that is exactly the issue why i think that EV’s wont really work.
I don’t want to have to stop in the middle of the night, for a 30 minutes to an hour,
for a re-charge in the middle of nowhere.

Yes of course for certain cars it will be a nice addition.
And from a environment perspective you could of course reduce,
emissions in larger cities by switching to fully electric.

But other then that yeah, it also makes cars significantly heavier,
so in terms of emissions and fuel economy its yet to be seen how much sense it makes.

I recently actually spoke to someone who owns a prius.
And he told me that his total range was like 750km fuel and electric combined.
Not sure about the newer prius or other hybrids for that matter.
But that still isn’t really appealing to me tbh.

bi-fuell in that regards is still more efficient i think.
And yeah now days petrol cars also a bit more efficient as well.
So yeah idk…
Diesel is of course still the most efficient in terms of fuell consumption.
But bi-fuell like petrol + LPG is also pretty interesting.
To bad that not many countries have adopted lpg.

Maybe if you really baby it and keep it under 45mph, but I’d say its 100 miles city (no HVAC), and 80 miles freeway (75-85mph+.) Using HVAC can drastically changed my range though. Like 80 City 60 freeway.

Those should be very realistic numbers for this particular car.

Edit: my car’s only a $7k car though.

2 Likes

You spend at least 3 hours and 45 minutes a day on the road? I completely understand if they’re out of your price range (they are for me), but I imagine that is plenty of range.

Math: How long it would take to go 300 miles @ 80mph = 3:45.

Sorry if I’m being annoying, but I’m just trying to clear misunderstandings.

Yeah, that’s a thing. :man_shrugging:

What’s the entry point for an EV with 300 miles of range though? can’t be cheap. :confused:

The spark is a cool car, but I’d love to see a bigger battery.

My dad got a Hybrid (not a plug in, a true one). For city traffic, the regenerative breaking is a true mile saver.

Overall it is more efficent than the diesel he had before, which is remarkable for a petrol engine (plus electric).

1 Like

Finally got around doing some work on my gasoline car

2 Likes

There is work to be done on the petrol engine but mating it with electric might be here to stay. If an engine stays in its efficient operating range like I spoke of before it also lasts longer…

As for the petrol engine I think we should consider adapting aircraft technology to it. You see that this chamber is located at the cylinder head and is connected to the engine cylinder by small holes. It occupies 40% of the total cylinder volume. During the compression stroke, air from the main cylinder enters the precombustion chamber. At this moment, fuel is injected into the precombustion chamber and combustion begins. Pressure increases and the fuel droplets are forced through the small holes into the main cylinder, resulting in a very good mix of the fuel and air. The bulk of the combustion actually takes place in the main cylinder. This type of combustion chamber has multi-fuel capability because the temperature of the prechamber vaporizes the fuel before the main combustion event occurs. This can allow a small stoich mixture of gasoline to be burned at normal stoich to light off an extremely lean mixture say 22 or 24:1 to do the rest of the work for you under high compression without detonation… It would be rather efficient. This effect though is better seen on diesels… its also cleaner. It doesnt require a high pressure fuel pump either or any of the downsides of direct injection.

This would have lower fuel efficiency if you think about it at first if we left it at normal compression ratios. However especially in diesels but also petrol engines we could increase the fuel efficiency via increasing the compression significant. Due to the nature of this kind of combustion you would not need emissions equipment. This would increase the efficiency again and also reduce the pollutants that come out. It produces little to no particulate matter without a DPF and gasoline burns cooler in this condition creating less NOx

BUT SUURE government bolt ons are cool am i rite? image

I guess this is exactlly what Mazda has done with their new Skyactive X engines?

The skyactive is different. It is a direct injection engine using homogenous charge compression ignition. It sprays all the fuel in at once at TDC and ignites it via high compression and high boost… It can only run under a specific set of conditions