L1's Garage

Turbos are pretty good now. The 3.0 PS diesel has a 6 bolt main 4 main 2 cross… extremely durable CGI block. Twin turbos improve the efficiency of diesels if you dont add more fuel to compensate you get a more complete burn and a leaner air fuel ratio which is fine in a diesel.

Stupid engineering at all 3 are not using geared and chain timing. Instead you have to change a belt ever 150k which is why im shying away

Absolutely not unless some massive jump in batteries and grid charging comes

2 Likes

Shift that to 2035 and make the decline in ICE’s a lot less steep, then maybe.

2 Likes

Then you are gonna have EV’ing, electric cars taking up gas pumps as parking spots. :joy:

Tesla’s not there yet, as a car maker. I’d rather buy an Audi e-tron, Mercedes EQC or Porsche Taycan. If Tesla is 5-10 years ahead on battery technology, the above three are 50-100 years ahead of Tesla in building quality cars.

Would not trust any company related to Volkswagen to come out with useable EVs in the next 5 years.

And without licensing Toyotas drive train, BMW would not have hybrids or EVs either.

EV chargers are already all over the place, and with the other perks of electric I don’t see why electric wouldn’t overtake gas by 2025, this graph doesn’t look very outlandish to me.
I’m not saying it’s a sure thing, but it looks possible.

Its not about availability so much as needing to get the fillup under 15 mins and not sacrificing the overall lifetime length of the battery chemistry in doing so. I should have clarified

Why? You mostly charge at home, and with 350+ (likely more by 2025) miles of range the only time that you’ll need to charge at all (other than home) is for trips, but even then it would be cheaper overall to rent a gas car for trips.

For most people the choice already makes more sense to go EV, it’s just they don’t know anything about them yet, like why it would make more sense then gas.

I guess yeah they are fantastic in cities I think everyone in a city life who needs a car should go EV. I still am skeptical for long road trips

Yeah, I wouldn’t take one on a trip, but it’s more than just city though, it’s also people living out in the boonies, and they’d benefit most from the lack of gas. Like if someone lived out in Homedale they could go to Boise and back 4 times without charging if they have 350 mile range. My point is 300 miles is a lot of distance, and you can get that in a Model 3 right now. I’m sure prices will drop for that kind of range by 2025.

Electric isn’t as inconvenient as everyone thinks.

1 Like

This is true. Im partially onboard. I like preserving my skepticism though. Ive considered the idea for my mom. She doesnt know anything about cars. A used model X might be nice for her

She lives 50 miles out from boise

1 Like

Hey @TeckMonster @SgtAwesomesauce

I’m really not like a hard core gm fan but I’ll acknowledge the epicness of the LS engine. Now I have a question for you gm versed folk… is the 5.3 and 6.2 liter ecotec engine an LS? I mean I’m looking at the dimensions of the block is seems like it is.

It would be my only alternative to the Ford f150… thoughts? Specifically the GMC Sierra 1500.

Any notable issue with the DFM systems or engine itself? Timing belt or timing chain? Etc

Though I do remember techmonster talking about the 2.7l being a way better design. I checked into that it actually is. CGI block… 6 bolt main… H beam forged Pistons . :thinking::thinking: That almost had me but then I remember I love the V8 sound all too much :wink:

I think they are. I’m not an expert on GM engines though. I really only know rotaries, Subaru 4cyl boxers and mazda’s B platform.

Well, actually, I know a fair bit about the Mercedes engines as well.

Got ya… I’m just concerned because I’ve heard a lot of crap about the afm and afm systems and if it’s the case I don’t wanna have to tune the truck to disable it and might choose the ford

Trying to consider all my options… new Toyota tundras and Nissan titans have issues

Dude

Just buy a car.

1 Like

In time I just want to take the time to deeply research every platform and make a decision…

Euro car guys, i need some minor help.
I bought a Renault Megane and the keys that came with it are really ugly, they’ve been dropped quite a few times and they have some broken tabs and such.
Both keys work which is good, but for the life of me i can’t find good quality covers for them, only the same stuff they sell on Aliexpress.
Perhaps in europe i could get some original covers?

I don’t really know anything about the newer engines other than repeatedly hearing the new engines are dialed (basically collapsing lifters aren’t a thing anymore), but from what I just found the ecotec isn’t an LS and the only thing they share is displacement. I didn’t have much time to look into it more.

1 Like

Wikipedia has good breakdowns of different engines and their code designations:

They mention on the top of that page that GM has started to “recycle” the LT name for engines currently going into some Corvettes.

Not all LS engines are created equal, as per the FWD LS4, although it does borrow heavily from other LS engines. They can change designs at any time and use a code beginning with LS, or conversely use a different code on a new engine based on a previous LS design.

I currently have an LX9 on the stand and hope to get it ready to use in place of an LA1, but I’m one of those weirdo’s that likes 60 degree V6 engines. Maybe not so much that I’m a GM fan as much as I just happen to work on them the most. Plus there are tons of them in the junkyard for cheap parts!

Got ya yeah I’ll stick with the coyote then… :sweat_smile: