L1's Garage

Na it’s just an estimation from me.

• All 4 brakes need to be done. (discs and blockes).
  • Distribution + water pump need to be done in like 10K. km’s.
  • There is an oil leek that needs to be addressed.
  • wishbone rubbers need to be replaced.
  • Driver door lock defect.
  • Airco needs a refill.
  • Two new front tires.
  • Clutch is also starting to show its age.

Ahh brakes aren’t bad… water pumps a pita lol at least when the engine is in the body haha…

That sucks I was gonna say might be doable but that sounds like she’s pretty tired… I guess baby the clutch and ecodrive the thing haha…

So what cars can’t you decide between? Maybe find yourself an older BMW or Merc i6 based car… not the best mpg but they are pretty hard to break… plus the engine is sooo smooth…

Yeah will i have time, i still got an mot till next year may.

my preferences are either a cool 5 door Hatchback or a Station.
I currently have a saloon which is totally unpractical.
Engine wise i do want something more powerfull then my current 1.6 8V 102HP.

From the VAG group i do like the Audi A4 B6 Avant model, which are reasonable priced.
However the downside of those cars is that most of the engines are crap.
They all burn more oil then fuell, especially the 131HP / 150HP 2.0 20V engines.
Or those evil Fsi’s.
The only reasonable engine is the 1.8Turbo, which is hard to find.

An Alfa Romeo 159 SW is also really nice.
But downside is that it’s not really a true Alfa.
It has GM petrol engines which are generally crap as well.
And it also weights almost as much as a mercedes e-class.

BMW 3 series touring E46 might be an option.
However rust can be an issue.
But the engines are also not that great, especially the 4 cilinders 16V’s.
Those also have valve seals issues pretty much most of them.

Mercedes C-class could be an option.
But hard to find one without rust under the 4K.

Volvo V70, sure allot to choose from even 200HP plus versions.
But yeah a bit expensive to drive i guess.
And not really cool for a girl haha :smiley:

On the Japan cars not really much interesting when it comes to sw’s.

5 door Hatchbacks for a reasonable price.

I was looking at a Fiat Bravo 1.4 Tjet.
But those are hard to find.
Most of them are the 1.4 95HP non turbo.
Which is likely not enough for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still love the Alfa Romeo Mito 155HP 1.4 Tjet.
However it’s only a 3 door, so not an option.

Other Hatchbacks not really looked at yet. :slight_smile:
I need some space to put my horse riding stuff in the boot.

1 Like

I might also consider an SUV like car.
But again harder to find a decent one of a reasonable price.

There’s also the S60, C70, C30 and if you want a slightly smaller wagon the V50.
C70, and C30 are both missing doors though.

1 Like

I mean both are V8. Guess it comes down to HP or Torque.
Doing any hauling in the future?
Also hear diesel is nitourious for being expensive to replace the fuel system if it goes out.

1 Like

UPS says the brake pads made it to my town Friday morning. UPS also says the same package also made it to my town again yesterday morning too, even though it never left.

So brake pads might make it this week?

1 Like

Ring clearances werent great but hey its only a 4 cylinder tear it part and get it honed and make closer clearance :wink: if its really that big of a problem.

So turbos eat oil because of a few different reasons. The primary reason is blow by and this isnt necessarily a problem. Its just blown through the PCV valve. Theres a similar issue on the Subaru WRX. However the installation of an air oil seperator with a return hose will fix the problem almost completely.

Ah a little rust never hurt anything. Want to see the underside of my dads truck :joy: its pretty rusty but still sturdy. The harsh part about european roads is salt in the winter time. We sand our roads out in the western US so we dont encounter the issue. Great car. I would take a C class

Is this europe equivalent to an american soccer mom van … jk…

I would honestly say stop worrying to hard about the engine. Engines can be fixed. Largely most modern engines will see at least 200k before having any major work nowadays unless theres a design flaw of course. It helps if you have your own garage to do the work in though

@TheAlmightyBaconLord

we should move that discussion here…

Anyways the first video that got me thinking about whether electrics were the way are not was this

Then I watched this

Then I thought hydrogen fuel cell and stubled across this.

and so on and so forth. I guess I might have been slightly unfair but there are ups and downs. Its no where near where its advertised. Of course I looked into their sources as well. I think that you should examine them too. I love electric cars I love driving them I am not against them. I am just not on their 100 percent green hype train

aussie dude: let’s talk about electric cars
also aussie dude: hold my beer while I shit on religion for a good couple minutes

Yep, zero respect.

Hey australia is free just like america. Your free to not practice and shit on it. You free to worship it …

Haha yeah he really harped on religion. He was just the first video I found. I went to engineering explained. He did a good video. Then I thought gosh what about fuel cells and I ran across that dudes stuff

Yeah, I’m not saying he can’t do that. I’m just saying that him going on a rant about religion in a video about cars really undermines his credibility.

Hell, just look at the ratio.

1 Like

I know it was bad but he made some points that I looked into.

The cost of making and exploiting the environment to make everything needed to make renewable energy. (lifecycle) and as well as the electric car and charging infrastructure (lifecycle) its pretty close to gasoline

I am curious to see hydrogen fuel cells fix their issues though

2 Likes

Yeah, hydrogen would be cool.

It could be but im curious how easy it would be to poison the expensive rare earth element catlyst in the fuel cell

No the diesel is a 3.0 v6 twin turbo. The gasser is a 5.0 v8. Very expensive though to replace a fuel system. It only goes out if you put bad stuff in it on either at this point as they both have direct injection which requires high fuel pressures

1 Like

I was planning on linking that Engineering Explained video lol. I didn’t read the articles from it (yet), but from the perspective of the video, they seemed very unbiased and unswayed by big oil and other big companies.

The U.S department of Energy has actually funded quite a lot of interesting and unbiased studies on energy production and efficiencies. They’ve produced a lot of interesting stuff.

Regarding Tesla, yeah, I can sort of view it as an overhyped cult, however, I do appreciate them being pretty much the first to produce an all-electric vehicle for general consumers, and making it super user friendly (showing where nearby charging stations are, for example). I’m definitely not an avid Tesla follow though, and have no strives to ever own one.

1 Like

I recogize and will give them a ton of credit for doing so. I think much like anything its the overhype that can ruin it. Elon Musk has done an awesome thing business wise… I love electric cars driving wise they are super fun. However I want the church of tesla to acknowledge the issues and not confuse future engineers so we can actually work on the issues. I think electric cars have a TON of potential. Current generation is the only thing I have issue with because its the devil we know. All other stuff is still currently speculation

Drive a model X youll never look at a mercedes the same again :joy: except their V12s mmmmmm

1 Like

Twin turbo is pretty hype, time to throw in a tune to blow them gaskets!
I wonder how the longevity of those turbos and the engine fairs?

Alright, what do you all think about this concept:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4225153-evs-oil-ice-impact-2023-beyond

Do you really think that EVs will take off like crazy, like in this graph?

Personally, I think the technology just isn’t there yet, for everyone to buy into them, but I hope it happens. Means cheap fuel.

1 Like