L1's Garage

I feel ya. I ended up straight piping my Blazer for a while due to the cat disintegrating, and the insides ended up in the muffler, so I just removed it all… Let’s just say, that was a bad idea.

Cold air intake or even short air intake is a much better option IMO.

My S10 has a CAI.

1 Like

Yeah CAI with a sealed box is definitely on the list.
I loved the sound from my sonic when I had mine installed.
Wasn’t loud but every power stroke had a boom out of the exhaust.

1 Like

Latest Grand Tour featured this all electric. This thing looks sweet. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Oh shit, I completely forgot grand tour was a thing.

Brb

5 Likes

Apparently there’s an open source firmware for Tesla’s now. Anybody tried it? Or know someone who has?

http://www.freedomev.com/

3 Likes

Implying any of us have 40k to drop on an unreliable car.

That is cool though.

1 Like

Are they considered unreliable? I’ve never kept up on any of the electrics. I’ve strongly considered (And honestly, I still likely will do this at some point) taking a Kawai zx6r and converting it into a homemade electric. The motors and such are so trivial to work on compared to gasoline engines.

1 Like

Teslas have horrible reliability. Average of 2.5 motor/differential units replaced in 100k miles.

They’re not expensive when the car is under warranty, but I seem to recall them being ~8k out of warranty.

That makes an RX8 seem like a good investment when it comes to powertrain reliability.

2 Likes

… Yea, I know college ev clubs with experimental cars that are more reliable then that. In racing at that even.

Yeah, it’s not to say that Tesla isn’t doing good things for the EV market. They just need to fix their reliability issues.

Yea. There have certainly been strides. Batteries still have a ways to go.

When you get to the new GT episode, youll get a laugh out of the batteries on that Nio ep9. Its a track car sure… But cmon’

1 Like

Really want an easily moddable electric. Want to be able to swap motors, speed controls and batteries. It will be a while I think until there’s a summit or jegs type store for electrics. So for now I’ll stick with the old mechanical stuff.

1 Like

Damn. Feels fucking bad. Not able to purchase a cold air intake anywhere. They just straight up won’t ship to Cali.
Nobody is going to waste that time and effort into getting C.A.R.B. certified either.
Well exhaust mod it is then.
I know there is a GM specific CAI which isn’t too pricey but not even sure if that is CARB compliant.

I guess the best I can do now is drop in a K&N filter for the stock box.

Well shit, found an intake that has an Executive order number, but its only for the 2.8L Duramax Diesel. Why do gas engines get no love.

WTF & holy crap! What am I doing with a 5.3‽ They just made 900hp out of a 4.8… Brb, got to post my Suburban up for sale (probably /s).

3 Likes

Dang that sucks. Want me to ship you one? Lol
You might be able to build one your self.

1 Like

Found one that is made by flow master under the AirRaid name. It has an EO# for Cali. So I can ship but my truck specifically is not covered.
The EO# covers for the 2.8L Diesel all years but only up to the 2017 V6.
I mean worst case I throw in the stock box. Luckily for me new vehicles don’t have to be smogged for 8 years. So I am good until 2027 lol.

If you got that route and try to retrofit it, I’d recommend sticking with the V6 CAI, since the diesel is a completely different engine set up, being an I4 and all.

Oh yeah I got the V6, part says compatible just if the gubment wants to dip their crusty fingers in my truck, I could get some fines.
No issues when I had my sonic short ram and exhaust.
Didn’t even think of CARB back then lol.

1 Like

Ah, so it’s just not CARB compliant for anything newer than 2017, gotcha.
Cool, deal. I look forward to hearing it.

As am I. Just bought it. Says estimated delivery by the 21st but its shipping from a city 3 hours away. Hopefully arrives by Monday/Tuesday more likely though.

Although really wish someone would take the parts from my sonic off my hands. Decent sized box holding everything. Maybe I can just leave it in the back of my truck as storage since I have a tonneau cover.

Damn really tempted to sign up for that UPS thing so I can just go pick up my package.
Its already in town but won’t go out for delivery until Monday.
Never mind can’t do that unless a delivery has been attempted already.

1 Like