L1's Garage

anybody got a good wireless backup camera system, preferably NOT license plate mounted?
would like one for my tow truck, but don’t really care to run 30’ of cabling to the cab!

That’s a niche order. Especially at 25+ ft of transmission range.

You might look at tow-truck specific tools.

i should think something advertised for RVs and trailers should work. i can wire it to the reverse circuit probably easier than a car, just need a waterproof connection, but i just can’t really run a cable all the way to the cab for video.

Tensioner pulley for the A/C belt on the ol yota seized today. My god the belt sounded like a tortured cat the whole way home. I’ll be taking that belt off temporarily tomorrow morning till I can get the new part.

RIP my ears as well. 1 like = 1 prayer

2 Likes

No prayer for you! #PrayerNazi

1 Like

Took off the A/C belt, discovered the shop didn’t properly tension the alternator belt. FFS it’s not rocket science this is basic Maitenence.

2 Likes

Dry fit to mark the shifter hole. :yum:

Pound:ItsHappening

3 Likes

is that a 350?

Yeah boi!

1 Like

New plug wires to replace the ratted and splitting old noodles, and a new idle control valve to try and solve some unrelated issues. Truck seems to be happy with the new parts so far.

2 Likes

Bro, that’s exciting! Your moving this project along at a brisk pace.

I’m strongly considering selling my 5.3L Suburban in favor of a junkyard 4.8L for my S10.
Trying to get a house before I pull the trigger on that project since I could use (almost need) the truck for moving. The housing market is pretty stupid right now though.

Still the same old ford ranger?

Same old, same old.

I’m hoping to get it running before summer. And then there will be a list of cosmetic stuff to do after that.

Seats are good because they have bolsters, but not as plush as stock. I think they would be fine for a days drive with breaks.

If the 5.3 has an aluminum block I’d stick with it. Parts are probably more common.

Good luck with the house. We took about 3 years to find a good one in our budget (wanted a ranch w/shop in the city). Try not to rush.

Carpet and seats in. Shifter is just right in the farthest rearward position on the tranny. Comfortable reach.

1 Like

71 350 4 speed all stock. Just got it painted! I have never seen it painted in my lifetime(chipped away white bc who every painted it didn’t know what they were doing). It was my dad’s and it sat in the driveway once he had kids. So I got it fixed up and finally got it painted.

13 Likes

Bear in mind that’s the third engine in that car in almost as many weeks… reliability not likely to be a primary objective :smiley:

edit:
i love C3s. one of the sexiest car shapes ever.

2 Likes

Did some window replacements since one window was broken.
much lighter aswell!

Exhaust tubes are on their way!

2 Likes

Hmm. I’m not fond of the stock seats, so I’ll probably stick with my idea of retrofitting some Volvo R seats. Top notch comfort with some bolstering.
Probably these

Or if I can budget it these

Just a cast iron truck engine. Just about everything can be swapped between the two engine. They even share the same cast, just the 5.3 is bored out a little more.

Thanks man.

Looking good. Did you get new carpet?

I’m only shooting for 350 - 450hp, so honestly it doesn’t really matter other then the 4.8 should be slightly more efficient, and maybe make a bit more boost noise.

Yeah, probably just going to stick with what I already have.

Yeah new carpet from ACC. Order through summit its less expensive.

Lots of trucks came with aluminum blocks.
From wiki “aluminum blocks (LH6, LH8, LH9, LC9, and LS4)” seem to have came in 4x4s with flex fuel.
My 2010 and 2014 both did.

I’d hazard a guess that 5-7 pounds of boost would be plenty…

1 Like