L1's Garage

33s are cheap (as you say, they aren’t popular, but they ARE significantly newer). 34s aren’t unfortunately.

personally if i had a 32 i’d be holding onto it, as they’re the classic godzilla that dominated group A around the world and will (I feel) be more collectable.

34s over here have shot up in value actually, looking on the local car sales site they’re $150-300k aussie now for a decent one.

could have had one a few years ago for 50-60.

33s you can pick up for 50 ish here now.

i suspect by the time 34s are legal over there, you’re going to have an issue getting hold of one out of Japan or elsewhere as they’re already now being held onto and the value of 34s has skyrocketed.

people over here in Australia and NZ have had the pick of what’s been available in Japan for years now.
e.g.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Nissan-Skyline-2002/SSE-AD-5317118/?Cr=3

My old manager imported and R32, but he has it up for sale for $12k. Less than almost all RX7 FDs, or a Honda S2000s.

Gotta be a GTST with the RB20 eh?

2 Likes

Yup. It’s a type-M, not that I really know what that means.

It’s not worth it, the crack would already be completely across if there wasn’t some casting markings on the opposite side that stopped it. I saw one in the junkyard with a small crack a few months ago, so I knew this was a possibility. I have seen people fix it by drilling holes to stop it from spreading, and peening metal in to stop the leak. I vaguely remember seeing it done to an old cast iron head combustion chamber, so that can work quite well.

With how bad it is, and only ~$20 at the junkyard I’m just going to replace it. They cut all of the exhaust systems close to the manifold, which is bad if you need the pipe, but great for me as I don’t even have to lay on the ground to unbolt it from the engine. Considering pretty much all of the other work went very smoothly, this isn’t a big headache. The drive across town will be more of a chore!

1 Like

What you guys think?

2 Likes

I’m a bit skeptical.

1 Like

I like em a lot. Do you have the gray or black interior?

It’s amazon so if you don’t think the build quality is up to snuff you can send them back.

Changing to graphite interior.

@SgtAwesomesauce
Just need some decent seats, not leather. Using stock seatbelts and stock slides. As long as the recliner isn’t wobbly I don’t know what else to worry about.

Seat websites are $700+ for a cheap pair. Not sure what makes them so expensive. Maybe a rating for harnesses or crash testing?

This. You know you’re buying a seat that won’t kill you in a crash.

I think that’ll look great.

A battery pack replacement cost 1,000$. And a new induction motor would cost 20,000$ and up when it is time for a replacement. But they cannot be rebuilt. And has to be replaced much more often than any regular service vehicle. It seems like a electric service vehicle is much more of a money pit than it’s diesel or gas competitors.

At the moment, yeah. People say there’s no maintenance, which is true, but when you need repairs, you’re getting raked over the coals.

i would never buy a seat without sitting in it first tbh.

1 Like

AvE would fix the electric motors.

EV’s electric motors should last nearly indefinitely. The only part that could really wear down would be the bearings, but they’re ball bearings, so those should be able to last over a million miles easy.

Also that cost to replace a Tesla battery is extremely low. That is not much more than what it cost to replace a small Prius battery.

The only thing holding back EVs from absolutely taking over the world is the battery technology, which is still garbage.

7 Likes

Also just to have car battery chargers for every city. You would probably need a separate grid. It can’t possible be feasible for everything to be charged or powered off of one grid. Even though electric grids have been beefed up. It still would be a farcry away from being reliable for ev cars and electric utilities.

True. I bet we can get that figured out fairly easily with the growth of EV popularity though (at least at this rate). Lots of places already have incentives for installing solar, for example.

1 Like

I ran across this vid showing the layout of a racing pit box.

2 Likes