L1's Garage

yeah it’s got multiport fuel injection.

Definitely has a iacv then.

Hmm. I’ll look into it but the TPS is always a failure point on these trucks, never heard of the IAC having a problem.

Ah, okay. Well, I don’t know how the tps could cause that issue, unless it’s an electronic throttle.

It’s a Toyota pickup (model name pickup) right?

Yeppers

@SgtAwesomesauce looks like you might be right about the IAC.

2 Likes

Got one on my bike lift at the moment. just needs putting back together and new fork seals. video to come when i get it back on the road in the new year

1 Like

Does the check engine light come on? If it is one of those sensors it probably has thrown some sort of code whether or not the light stays on. A trouble code might not necessarily lead you to the exact cause, but it gives you something to investigate to narrow down all of the possible solutions.

It’s probably worthwhile to clean the TB and IAC passages regardless of it being the problem or not.

1 Like

No lights, because that would be too easy.

I plan to unplug the tps while it’s running next time it happens to try and narrow it down

Accel enrichment won’t work, closed loop idle control will likely not work either.

Basically it will run like shit. But it will run.

I’ve seen Vids where when that’s the issue it fixes how its running, at least at idle.

I wish I could find a Chrysler Crossfire SRT. Those cars are nice.

1 Like

Had a little fun after work Sunday, and one of my coworkers recorded me doing a burnout. He did it with that fancy slow mode thing.
No e-brake.
SmartSelect_20181224-202010_Video%20Player
The fun police was kicking in but still got a bit of smoke… or steam.

3 Likes
2 Likes

RIP 5.3. Note to self, don’t push mine to 700hp.

Damn, well this sucks. Brother-in-Law has 2004 Toyota Highlander with a V6.
Looking for a replacement air filter box, from what we have been looking at, you can order the OEM part but its around $500 (its the whole assembly that includes, bottom, top, and MAF sensor), found a used one for $200 but that still really sucks to throw $200 at a 14yo car.

He currently has it zip-tied, which I think is fine, worst case he can leave it zip-tied or find a bungie laying around to keep it closed.
I say we just piece it back together and JB-weld the clips to the bottom housing.

lets wait to see what failed first…

1 Like

He probably puts that much in fuel in it every month. Not a ton in the grand scheme of car ownership.

What’s wrong with it? That’s probably an appropriate solution.

Talked with him this morning, said a clip was missing. Pretty most of the clips are fairly similar but will have to double check. Could just glob the JB weld all over the clips since the housing part retaining the clips is broken too.

Step dad was in town, talked to him about what was going on with my truck, he was like “It’s gotta be the TPS” before i even told him what my hunch was so i just ordered one lol. worse case scenario I eliminate something that is prone to high milage failure and prevent it from happening later.