KZ EDX - how does a US$2,75 Chi-Fi earphone sound?

A few weeks ago i came across a Facebook post telling me that for US$2.75 and an Aliexpress coupon code, i could have a KZ EDX earphone delivery to my house, with no catches whatsoever.

At any other day these cost around US$7, but i got extra lucky for finding that coupon and i already know KZ, i listened to a fair share of their IEMs and even multiple versions of their bluetooth adapter, so why not? I promptly ordered the black version with a microphone (here’s our US$0.75 optional extra).
And today, 20 days after the pressing the “buy now” button, here they are!

My order was attended correctly and it arrived in a neat slide out box that reads “Customized Heavy-bass Earphone” when opened.
It comes with 3 pairs of eartips, small, medium (already installed) and large; as well as a chain style cable with a microphone.
As for construction, the shape and quality of the materials remind me of my old TFZ Series 1S (US$39 from Penon Audio), however KZ opted for a removable cable instead of the permanently attached one like TFZ did back then, this is great for both the customer and KZ themselves, since the customer can opt to upgrade the cable or replace it in case of damage, and KZ benefits from this selling replacement cables and even a Bluetooth module to transform these (and many others) into wireless earbuds.
The cable, while looking quite fragile, has an angled connector (that fits my phone case almost like it was designed for it) and a little module with a button where the microphone lives, but most importantly it is not microphonic, meaning that, unlike my Samsung earbuds, the impacts and rubs against clothes are not transmitted to the user’s ears, anybody knows how annoying those can be.
One common complaint with older KZs, from 2017 or so, is that these 2 pin connectors were super tight and could even break during installation, at least on my unit this seems to be fixed, the connectors were easy to install and stayed firmly attached to the earbuds the entire time.

How does it sound?
I tested them both through my Samsung Galaxy S10e with Dolby Atmos turned off and my PC with a Meridian Explorer Mk1 DAC/Amp.
Right out of the gate you can tell KZ aimed right at the average customer profile, like the box promises, the focus here is at the low frequencies.
The single 10mm drivers are super quick to deliver the frequencies, bass is punchy and plentiful, the mid range is a little recessed and the high frequencies are forward sounding, just behind the lower notes, so its logical they feel right at home with bass focused genres like Hip Hop and Electro, however they can still play more diverse genres, pretty much everything i tried on them, in fact.
They to do pretty well with female vocals, artists with higher voice pitch, like Junko Yagami, are presented in front with a lot of energy and can even become “shouty” if you’re at the top of the volume range, male vocals in comparison, specially of artists with a deeper voice like Tyler, The Creator, don’t feel as forward sounding, however personally i do not consider this a detriment as the voices are still pretty easy to hear and don’t get tangled up in the rest of the frequencies.
Imaging is very good for a IEM and if i could forget i had rubber stalks in my ears, i could’ve sworn i was listening to an over ear closed back headphone, detailing is really well presented, i’m yet to find a song where the details are lacking in comparison with more expensive earphones.
Borderline being, for anybody that likes a warm, bassy earphone this is going to be an easy pick, specially if you compare it against what you get bundled with your smartphone, these blow away Samsung’s Earphones tuned by AKG and Apple’s Earpods easily.
Our optional extra, the microphone, works really well too, its placed on the cable a few centimetres under the user’s chin, the voice capture quality is about as good as any standard lavalier mike, if you guys want to hear it in action, i can even record a little demo.

Conclusion

I gotta say, i’m really impressed with what KZ managed to achieve here, in my opinion these don’t sound like a US$2.75 earphone, nor a US$7 earphone, this is better than many earphones around the US$40 mark or more, if we focus on my local market.
During the Chinese black friday (11/11) i ordered a Whizzer B6 true wireless earphone (for US$42), i’m quite curious to compare it to this, but also a bit afraid, i really hope the B6 blows these out of the water because if they come close to each other in sound, i’m going to be super disappointed with the well reviewed Whizzer.
These will occupy my bedside table from now on, replacing the Samsung earbuds i’ve been using for a while before sleep, time will tell about their durability, specially of the cable, since the cases where i fall sleep listening to something and wake up tangled in my earphones is not exactly rare, and i managed to ruin my TFZs for this very reason.

5 Likes

2 dollars and 75 cents ?

1 Like

Yes.

Always nice to find things that punch up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed! These were quite a surprise,i expected way less than this

Any american listing anywhere ? Amazon and such

It’s available on Linsoul and Amazon, but not as cheap.
9.99 on Linsoul and 14.99 on Amazon

2 Likes

I found Linsoul. I will order a pair from Amazon even tho I am not a fan of in ear.

TY

I need to get out of stealth mode first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

13 dollars ? If they work I will get my use out of them.

1 Like

I’d say even for 20$ would be a steal.
I’m tempted to try a different cable on it, to see if it has any effect

I added some Loofah and pumice stone to a pair got it up over 25 for free shipping :slight_smile:

Winter time here in the Ozarks and I have radiant heat. Double whammy. Before anyone asks :slight_smile: This or lotion.

1 Like

Edit: I was on Amazon.ca.
Will try .com

You doxxing yourself

1 Like

I just used US amazon. No issues other than the Engrish on the page.

2 Likes

How’d they compare to the Series 1S?

There’s definitely some IP theft going on here, based on your quality impressions.

The amazon page is in engrish… What else would you expect ?

2 Likes

Oh, exactly that.

I just don’t like endorsing that sort of thing, personally.

That’s just downright crazy. I am having a hard time processing how you even get the cost that low and still maintain not just some quality but by the sounds of it, sorry, more than adequate.

I am impressed and slightly concerned.

Glad it worked out though.

2 Likes

I avoided comparing the sound, since i would be going from what i remember from the 1S instead of having a proper side to side comparison, but from what i remember, the Series 1S isn’t as good as this, it had even more bass, but it was not defined so it could be considered “muddy” in comparison, and the other frequencies were super shy, you could not make them go super high with female vocals like you can with these, it was super dark.

You see, i think i may have barked at the wrong tree when i visually compared it to the TFZ, of course, it was the first that came to mind, but i’m sure i’ve seen this shape before, a quick Google search with the right words showed me the company 64 Audio, quite a name in the segment, and this model:

There’s also a company that’s local to me, Kuba, that has a similar design as well:

There’s definitely some design “borrowing” going on with the chinese IEM market, no doubt about it.
Both of these IEMs are above the US$1000 range, i’m sure there’s something to learn with them.
Adding insult to injury, here’s what KZ themselves were making back in 2017 (when i got my TFZ):