KVM USB 3.2 Rear Output to USB Hub No Longer Works With MBP M2 Max

Hi, I have an L1 KVM with three monitors, DP 1.4, and 10 Gbps config; I use the rear USB 3 port to connect with Anker USB Hub w/ external power for a webcam and an audio interface, and it has been working well for my Windows 10 and Intel MacBook Pro setup.

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to M2 Max, and the USB hub no longer works on the MacBook (it still works fine with Windows)

Has anyone with M2 run into this similar issue as well?

Mac USB hub depth exceeded. Google that and check the logs on the Mac. Apple being apple.

You will need to use an Anker hub that’s not a hub of hubs because… Apple

Is the kvm connected directly to the Mac via USBC or through a hub or dock?

KVM is connected to the Macbook via a Caldigit TS4

You will need to use a thunderbolt downstream port for the kvm or connect it directly to the Mac or use an Anker hub that is not wired

2 port Hub > multiport hub, multiport hub

Internally.

Because Apple.

I see, and yeah, that’s annoying w/ Apple’s implementation. I don’t think it would make sense for me to connect it directly to the Mac since the Windows machine needs to use the cam + audio interface too.

use an Anker hub that is not wired

would this work?

2 port Hub > multiport hub, multiport hub

Just making sure I understand this, do you mean the setup of a 2-port USB hub + TS4 (multi-port) hub would work, which means the non-wired 4-port hub I linked above is not a good fit?

connect the kvm directly to the mac. the windows machine would still work. understand that what is happening is hub > hub > kvm > hub > hub > peripheral which you want to try to eliminate as many layers of that as possible. plugging the kvm straight into the mac via usbc eliminates a lot of layers of hub. as does explicitly using the caldigit thunderbolt downstream port.

idk which ports are built what way unfortunately. generally the low port count hubs just use one level of hubbery

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.