Just upgraded to a 3800X, how to get it stable/best performance

Hello,

I just came from youtube to kinda ask you guys for some tips and tricks with my new Hardware upgrade.

I’ve recently bought:

MOBO: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, S-AM4
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
RAM: 16GB (8x2) G.skill CLI16 3200mhz
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 8GB

I also got a seperate Soundcard and 1x M.2 (samsung 970 evo Plus) 1x SSD and 2 HDD’s.

And im using my old CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12S with push pull fans.

I Currently only own a 144hz screen that supports 1080p not 1440p but im maybe planning on upgrading this aswell.

I’m wondering what would be the best settings in BIOS for max performance both in games and other for this setup. Can i do any overclocking etc ?.

Thanks for any help and answers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hard to say on what level are we talking about here, but enable that CL16 3200mhz profile

Then I like to have these drives so that ofc m.2 is C drive, and then I simply relocate the windows documents folders to D drive, so all the crap I download and so on wont fill the m.2

Level ? like my computer skills or ?. I would say im pretty decent, been building and overclocking pc’s for quite many years now. Was hoping for some tips on how to get the CPU stable, should i turn SMT of or have it on auto etc ?

But yes, will for sure enable that profile and also XMP. Still haven’t got the parts yet but hopefully they will arrive on monday.

So you are ready for some experimental brave choices :smiley:

Yes! :slight_smile:

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

I definitely recommend 1440p monitor, upgraded from fullHD to 1440 myself some time ago and can say it was well worth it.

I’d recommend you edit your thread title to be bit more descriptive, so that others can see right away what you are looking for. Something in the line of “upgraded to 3800x, how to get best performance out of it?”

1 Like

Thanks!

Hmm, yes 1440p would be ideal. For now i’ll stay on 1080p though.

Changed the title, thanks! :slight_smile:

Remember to download chipset driver and check that its on that ryzen balanced power setting
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

1 Like

I think I watched the same video the OP did. The guy in the video sort of made it sound like if you came to the forums someone would walk you through the bios and make sure the settings were correct. This is also something I would be interested in for my 3600 on a msi tomahawk with the 1.9 bios.

I was kind of expecting to see a list of bios settings with voltages and default settings or something like.

Problem with that is that each motherboard manufacturer’s BIOS handles things differently in terms of layout, and also if it’s an x570, x470/B450, x370/B350.

An example is my x470 Taichi Ultimate BIOS is a bit of a mess right now. There’s currrently 3 different areas that I can my CPU and RAM overclocking options and voltages, and changing the values in one may or may not automatically set it in the other menu areas. It’s very odd right now.

Other thing is that this is a new architecture so software isn’t caught up yet. The stability and real potential of the chip will take some time to really come to light until it does (think Ryzen 1000 series launch and how bad it was at RAM overclocking vs now)

For now, I’d recommend recommend running it either stock, or gimp the CPU clockspeeds a bit and set a more reasonable voltage until software’s up to snuff :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers guys, i still haven’t received my parts. Hoping it will come tomorrow so i can experiment with it. Will post updates here on how it goes :slight_smile:

Just put togheter everything today. The voltage are really high on Ryzens power option in windows 10 so i put it on windows balanced instead so it seems to sleep better xD on 1.0v (not 1.45v).

Also the Chipset fan runs on 5000 RPM at all times even though i updated BIOS, wich is really annoying (i can hear the low frequenzy sound trough my headset). Any help with this would be greatly apprechiated.

1 Like

On my X570 Taichi, the SB fan control is not in the fancy fan tuning section of the UEFI, but it is listsed under the old style fan configuration settings. Perhaps your motherboard has a similar setup? Silent on my motherboard runs the fan at 50% (almost silent) until it hits 80C and ramps it up real fast after that… but I’ve found that even on silent that it’s in the 60s most of the time and the highest I’ve seen is 72C or so…

1 Like

Hmm, alright i’ll try and look for that setting. I dont think MSI has rolled out any chipset fan profiles yet though. Thanks for the answer :slight_smile: will post and update soon to tell you if i find it.

Yes you were right, i found that option to put it on silence mode instead of balanced. Only issue is that it had temps like 55C and was still going full throttle on 5000 RPM. The profile didnt seem to affect it either.

Installing the AMD chipset driver gives some AMD Ryzen specific power plans. AMD Balanced mode is recommended apparently as it checks processor state much more frequently so bigger spikes aren’t done as much

Hmm, are you sure about this ?. Problem is that the Voltage will spike all the way up to 1.49V and Idle/sleep it dosen’t go under 1.40V wich is abit high. Also temps are affected by this.

Personally, I’ve limited my 3700x to 4.1 Ghz at 1.2125v. Hoping future AGESA or motherboard updates reduce the stock voltage, because I’m not comfortable running my CPU at over 1.35v personally, and 4.2Ghz or higher required about that much to be stable, and even then, I’m not so sure

Ye, thats understandable. But running this at auto from out of the box should be more than enough, if they choose to sell it like this and it burns out or gets fuckt i’ll just use my 3 year warranty. If they sell a product and its not working out of the box then its not my problem.

I’m even using a much better cooler than what came with the 3800x so… Not gonna spend that much more time tweaking this cause it looks like its running alright atm. All i did was set PBO -> enabled, use XMP 3200mhz 16CLI, download chipset driver, put on Ryzen power profile (balanced). It hits 80C sometimes under some benchmarks but dosen’t stay there that long so i think its fine. Will update soon also on how it goes further on :slight_smile:

No worries, and that’s a completely valid approach. My issue is I’m using an asrock x470 board, and the system still crashes due to WHEA errors on occassion, so I wanted to make sure the CPU was as stable as possible until an updates released. Ideally I’d like to just let it run stock, due to the boosting behavior these chips run with