Just upgraded to a 3800X, how to get it stable/best performance

Good point. I’ve also had some crashes on 3Dmark’s Fire Strike test… don’t know whats causing it though… it only crashes on fire strike not Time Spy.

I’ve tried firing up Prime95 tests, and had a lot of crashes unless the CPU is gimped and voltage reduced. My theory is that the temp spike happens so quickly on the die that it resets itself to prevent harm, but not sure

Hmm, i see. Any idea what are safe settings for 4.3ghz ? so its stable.

That’s going to vary from chip to chip. I wasn’t able to get 4.3Ghz 100% stable at 1.4v on my 3700x, so I ended up backing off from that idea. That’s going to take experimenting on your part as your cooling setup is likely different, your chip is different, motherboard is different, etc.

Alright, i just tried to undervolt the CPU to 1.4V to see how it runs. but thanks for the quick answer. Will do some more research and get back to you.

I seem to have found the issue. Had the graphics card clocked to high so thats why it was crashing in Fire Strike. Also my BIOS settings are: XMP -> ON (3200mhz CLI16). PBO -> Enabled. SMT -> Disabled. Also turned on the high performance Ryzen power setting and the temperature is way more stable now. Only thing that sucks abit is that it dosen’t boost properly i only get to like 4450ghz. Im not gonna fiddle any more with it today since it seems stable now. Thanks for all the answers, i’ll check in tomorrow.

So next plan is:

-> Fix the boost function so it boost as advertised (4.5ghz).
-> Fix that shitty chipset fan that dosen’t want to turn down from 5000RPM even though i tried manual settings and also silent mode.

Been doing some more research. By enabling PBO i let the CPU run as hard is it can at a certain temp. So its almost running on 4.5ghz with the air cooler im using, but sometimes also above 4.5ghz when the temp allows it. Also put my PC on the floor for better cooling wich helped abit.

For now its stable and running very well. Tried a few games like PUBG, CS:GO, Hell Let Loose, All on ultra and they run very smooth at 110+ FPS and the stutters aren’t even there with ryzen compared to the intel CPU (i7 5820k OC 4.3ghz) that i had before. Ryzen is very stable and the lowest FPS like fps drops aren’t really felt at all.

Cinebench test: 4988 Score
With SMT enabled

Sorry for my bad english but i hope this is helpfull. Will update this thread later as i move on :slight_smile:

I tried undervolting it to 1.4V.

Note: Put it back to auto cause this wasn’t very effective.

Also called my supplier to see if they can figure out the chipset fan problem that it wouldn’t speed down under 5000RPM even if i tried putting it on silent mode or Manually turning the speed down.

My suppliers said it was to early for the mobo’s so have to wait for a bios update for that 5000RPM fan problem to get fixed.

Also been having some troubles/freezes/crashes when SMT is enabled on some games, so turned that off and haven’t had any problems since then (been turning it on and off to see the difference/stability). With PBO on i’ve been getting some good speeds up to 4.6ghz.

Problem that i have atm is that my m.2 drive wont reach its max performance 3500mb read/3200mb write. I achieved that and actually abit more on my old motherboard after i added a heatsink to it that i also use on the new motherboard, i haven’t tried using that heatshield that came with yet cause it seems that the heatsink i bought seperatly works better.

If anyone knows any fix for this plz tell. I’ve tried looking in bios for any settings i might have missed but nothing and yes i’ve installed the Nvme driver from samsung + the firmware updates are on point.