Just how inflated are RAM prices?

Thinking about upgrading my cpu/mobo/ram sometime in 2018, when zen+ and z390 are out and I know ram prices right now are inflated and are expected to go down some time in 2018, just wondering how much of a drop I should be expecting.

As an example I bought Team Group Elite+ 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM kits for £59.99 June 2016. £79.99 in Jan 2017. The kits were £129.99 a few months back and now are now £169.99!! Crazy inflation. Exact same kit though here are cheaper alternatives for ~£149.99

2 Likes

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/
A great way of tracking prices

1 Like

Literally over 100% I had a 4x8gb kit for $150 a little over a year ago

1 Like

There’s no cut throat competition anymore and demand keeps rising, so I don’t see any chance of price drops in 2018. Investments into higher production are being made, but more to keep up with demand than to push for a war on price.

Hella.

The price of DDR4 ECC has almost doubled right now vs back in August '16 when I bought RAM for this system initially.

Yeah, it’s about 90% inflated. I bought my DDR4 for $155 for 2×8GB 3200MHz. The same kit is now over $200. I think 16GB in 3000MHz would have cost $110 dollars 1 years ago.

I bought 2x8gb 2133MHz HyperX RAM for approximately $60 on May 2016.

2016 RAM prices

Now the same RAM in today’s prices
2017 RAM prices

Link to price page

1 Like

Anyone know the cause of the price increase over time? Is there a shortage or something?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Article is a bit old though. Basically just a shortage…apparently there were a lot of defects in the manufacturing process. Weird.

If you’re interested

I bought 2x 8gb 3200mhz gskill for about 100 bucks in the summer of 2016. This past summer it was about 160 USD, and now that same kit from summer of 2017 is 230 dollars. Pretty pricey.

As others have stated the shortages are causing high prices. But I have heard that by 2019 the prices might be up to 40% higher than they are now.

@fruitbrut shortage due to high demands from the server and mobile markets. Man it would suck big time if your memory unexpectedly dies and you need to buy a new set for twice what you paid for.

Where did you hear this claim and do you have a source on it?

I just spent like 10 minutes looking through my history of my browser. It must be my phone that I watched it. But it was a redgamingtech video talking about how one company at this point was really manufacturing stuff and that in 2018 samsung plans to make more ram. But until that picked up prices would continue to increase. Right now is time for me to get shut eye before work tomorrow. I will look through my phones history tomorrow.

It was posted about a month or two ago, I just can’t find it in my history.

VERY

I bought 16 GB of RAM for $88 for my desktop. It’s twice that now almost. They won’t be seeing another dime from me until they drop the RAM prices back to where they were.

That sounds ridiculous. At that rate I may as well stick with 8 GB of RAM for my laptop and 16 GB for my desktop.

I bought my 16GB DDR4-2666 (2x8) kit in August of 2016 for $82 off Amazon. Right now, on Amazon, that same kit is (on sale for) $188, list price of $216. Absolutely insane.

I also heard something similar as @Argone says. Samsung has (apparently, suddenly) realized that there’s a DRAM shortage and will be increasing production soon (™).

The shortage has been going on for some time, methinks.

I’m going to assume that one company is Micron since I see that name pop up every time I look up news on this issue.

I have seen a 75% increase in price on a 2x16GB 2133mhz g.skill kit.

First kit I purchased was in late 2015… recent kit was last night.

I’m going to need to buy some DDR4 in the next month or so. I’d like to go with 64GB, but at the prices now that just isn’t feasible. Hopefully prices start dropping.

Dont bank on RAM dropping anytime soon, one of the reasons i got a new box… because RAM and SSD prices aint goin down anytime soon

1 Like