Just a quick question about a ntfs issue I'm having with Linux

I have a few ntfs drives that are mounting as read only on Linux. So I should be able to get all my data off the drive. My question is after I get the data off can I format the drive so I can read and write with out problems? I really don’t see a reason why I should not be able to do it.

You are correct, but you should be able to mount NTFS as read/write. What distro you using.

Has something to do with the quick start on Windows. I’m currently unable to boot the PC it came from, as that PC can’t detect the graphics card.

Post talking about the issue that PC is having.(GPU post issues)

You still haven’t answered my question - what distro are you using?

The Linux kernel can only mount NTFS as read only. To get Read / Write access you have to install additional software (ntfs-3g) that isn’t installed by default on some distro’s.

Arch and I have ntfs-3g installed

Only time I have seen this is when NTFS was mounted as root with read only privileges to other users. Try changing the file system as root an see if you can make changes that way.

Tried with sudo, but says something about windows quickboot causing it to mount as read only.

In that case you can try doing a:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXX

on that - should unlock the drive.

I will try that next time I am at that computer.vis ntfsfix a separate install or is it apart of ntfs-3g?

It is part of ntfsprogs