Jonsbo N1 - highspeed NAS/SAN with zfs (theory crafting)

I feel in love with the Jonsbo N1 a while ago for the design and functionality, and the 1x 2.5 and 5x 3.5 in small case. Since then I’ve been toying around with a setup in my head that should be highspeed, zfs, and not way too expensive. Feel a bit ashamed that I didn’t think of oldschool case modding and cheating.

Anyways, here’s something to work from.

• Jonsbo N1 $150
  • ASRock A320M-ITX or similar motherboard with 1x m.2 and can take 64GB ECC $140
  • AMD RYZEN 3 PRO 4350GE, AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 2200GE, or similar $140
  • 64GB RAM DDR4 ECC UDIMM 2x32GB $320 used from ebay
  • IBM M5110 8 port 6GB raid flashed as IT $25 used from ebay
  • Something low profile talking 10GB $30 used from ebay
  • NGFF M.2 Key M to PCIe x4 Gen3 32Gbps Extender Cable Adapter R42SF $25

Total: $830-ish

Now comes the tricky part. Cut out room for a low profile pcie card at the back of the case. Drill a hole, straighten the bracket on the card, fasten it with a nut and bolt.

Don’t know how the 140mm fan in the N1 is but if it gets too hot swap it out for a Noctua industrialPPC or a Phantek T30.

Think this should work if i’ve haven’t had a brain fart some way down the way.

(Disks not included.)

Skip that RAID card, and get yourself at LEAST the LSI 9207-8I

For the NIC, grab a Mellanox ConnectX-3, very low power

I agree that chassis looks very nice, very Apple like. Its always been a dream of mine to rebuild an old Xserve into something modern

Make sure you check it beforehand if that combination even uses ECC, from what I heard others say, including @wendell, that’s a very weird rabbithole.

But if that works do tell, I wouldn’t mind getting stuff like that too.

Ryzen with integrated graphics don’t support ECC. You have to get a Ryzen PRO CPU or get a discrete GPU if you want graphics (well, or get some IPMI)

1 Like

IBM/Lenovo ServeRAID M5110, Dell perc H200, Dell perc H310, Dell perc H710, HP have a couple too, and a bunch more raid controllers all use similar sas controllers (LSI SAS2008-SAS2308) that can be flashed with the LSI SAS 9207-8i firmware that allows JBOD/IT mode if the original firmware don’t. A lot of them comes preflashed and dirt cheap on ebay.

Cool. They seems to have good Linux support too.

Thanks for pointing out. Why making it easy, AMD? But for this I found a bunch of used Ryzen 3 Pro 4350G that have ECC support for $140. Ryzen 3 PRO 2200GE has a similar price.

Not remotely as fun, but a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F might actually be the best alternative. $700 +$200 for 2x32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM. The ECC udimms breaks the former setup.

1 Like

Since you mentioned that board, maybe check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE4HNJZeIg

1 Like

Xeon D are neat little things and a lot of value if you can snag a good deal. I managed to snag an AsrockRack D-1541 board back in 2019 for like $500 new and have yet to find a similar deal on that SKU or higher. Obnoxiously expensive for what they are though if they’re not on sale. At $700 a D-1521 board isn’t that great of value in my book. Also found this for the US folk SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, Mini-ITX,Xeon D-1521. with active fan & I/O shield 672042197606 | eBay

1 Like

Look for the NAS Motherboard N5105/N6005.
Does not have a PCI slot, but enough SATA (6) ports and NICS (4 x 2.5). It’s about $240.

That case is not something designed for this product but something generic right? I’m saying this because I have a Saturn Mantiz Pro eGPU enclosure inside the same form factor. Don’t get me wrong this thing is a beefy aluminum case and it looks nice.

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me. Chinese patent laws are… flexible :slight_smile: and there’s some designs and tech that are seen as open for all, even if it’s not open source.

Finishing off this. 2FA was totally right, a board with a D-1541 like the SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F is the right way to go. That board checks all the marks, ecc, 6 sata, and 10GB network.

• Jonsbo N1 $150
  • SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $250 used from ebay
  • 64GB 4X16GB DDR4-17000R 2133Mhz ECC Reg $110 used from ebay
  • SFX power supply, about 300W less known brand $50
    Total: $560-ish

Then comes the price of 1x ssd and 5x hdd. But a similar NAS from QNAP or Synology is at least $900-1000, and this can run zfs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.