It's Inner Dialogue not Monologue

@ryan & @kreestuh

Its an inner Dialogue. Your conscious self monologues but it is your inner critic (unconscious self) chiming in that makes it a dialogue. Root word for Dialogue is → Logic → Logos

No one thinks in listicles

You said engagement challenge.

9 Likes

I was wondering if some of the respondents in that study were trolling.

1 Like

People who hear voices are weird freaks and need to be locked away.

2 Likes

It’s the combination of two ancient greek words: “dia” and “logos”. “Dia” means “through” and “logos” means multiple things like “speech” and “reason”.

Wanted to add to that because I find it fascinating.

1 Like

So only deaf people are sane? /s

4 Likes

Good for you. I seriously think that is not the case. People that hear voices can have treatment and therapy abd actually get better. You have nevered heard your inner dialouge? If not then how do you weigh choices of things? Thinking is holding conversations in ones head with one self.

2 Likes

Nope, no inner monologue. I don’t see why you think I need one to think? My thoughts are just thoughts, I don’t need to constrain them by putting them into words to have them. I guess I’m just too highly evolved to need such crutches.

3 Likes

I thoroughly disagree.

Some people have conditions that they need help with. If you fear people who are different, you are just going to have a pretty insular view on humanity.

A lot of people with conditions can mange their condition, and contribute to the benefit of society, not all as famously as John Nash, but functional and productive

Unfortunately some conditions are beyond current help, and isolation for safety is necessary. But it should always be humane, and a last resort.

Inner dialogue is useful, when reasoning an idea, or challenge, or project. Or even just lamenting an action.

4 Likes

Its fine mate, not really an attack on non-inner monologuers.

You do you.

Also, I am a bit curious, and its fine if you do not want to answer, I have no desire to pry in your business, but if you’d just allow me an answer to a curiousity: Do you not ever experience stage fright? Are you ever caught up on indecision?

2 Likes

No to either one, can’t say I’ve ever felt particularly anxious about things like that.

2 Likes

You mean people who admit they hear voices are weird freaks and need to be locked away?

2 Likes

images

8 Likes

Was this mentioned in a particular video? A long-running gag of some kind? A link to some context would be helpful for those who frequent the forum more than Discord or YouTube.

It was mentioned in last week’s L1T news episode about a study of the predominance of people without inner monologue.

1 Like

Ryan regularly goes into rants about how he thinks less of people who don’t suffer from auditory hallucinations.

This is why @Susanna is railing against this.

My theory is people with no inner monologue has a “lower latency”.

Meanwhile people with inner monologue can “run virtual machines”.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

1 Like

Oliver Sacks was badass.

ryans is being facetious… :wink:

This topic wasn’t meant to be a discussion on paranoid delusions & psychotic disfunction.

I read his book - like 4-5 years ago

The inner critic (critique) is the counterweight in decision make.

About a year ago, there was a somewhat related news article about people that had issues visualizing or creating mental imagery (aphantasia). I wonder if this is a loosely related topic?

We even have a forum poster that talked about it.

1 Like