Is there such a thing as a USB4 6ft/2M Cable?

I’m having issues with one custom device (a tiny computer - being vague on purpose for non-identification purposes) and I have been working on getting it working, including shipping it back for servicing. Apparently my current Thunderbolt setups (1. eGPU w/ RTX 4080, 2. CalDigit TS3 Plus dock) have a common theme - an Active 2M TB3 cable… since the cables are my last troubleshooting step (other testing have narrowed this down) here’s the question:
Do you know if there is a USB4 certified cable that is 2M? for every setup I use a 2M cable (to run the different wires down the desks) and the length is not something I’d be able to change.

Edit: Ultimately it’s not a biggie, it’s a portable computer, and being able to use it with these setups would be a plus, that’s all truly.

Edit 2: Don’t care about certified truly, just focusing on USB4 truly.

All I’ll say (never owning something with working Thunderbolt). Certified just means they made it good enough AND paid somebody else to say it’s good enough.
There’s probably an optical option.

Yeah got it - maybe I can reframe my question → Is any TB4/TB3 cable also USB4? and if so, can I just go and get any TB4 cable?

The hypothesis is that the cables are the issue, and Active cables(i.e. USB-C TB cables that do not carry a USB signal natively) may be the issue.

Yes, USB 4 is basically the TB3 spec, but without Intel certification. (oversimplification)

Your issue is very likely the same issue I had early on in the days of TB3 experimentation. Longer cables cause signal degradation. Optical cables solve this problem, but do not carry power, so that’s a major downside.

I would look at a Thunderbolt 4 certified cable. It’s going to be expensive if you want something guaranteed to work, but they are out there.

1 Like

Often the pricey part.

Well, you’ve got two options. Gamble time/money or pay up to be sure. The problem is that there are all these companies out there claiming to be able to handle a spec, but they can’t.

Honestly, if you want a guarantee, go with club3d.

https://www.newegg.com/p/181-0165-00047

Oh, this only does 20Gbps. Not sure if OP’s thunderbolt enclosure needs 40.

is 20Gb/s enough though…

Actually, there’s this one:

This is a gen 2, which does 40Gbps, but I can’t find it in stock.

1 Like

That question was more for OP. He didn’t say exactly what he was running. A GPU might care.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure OP’s dock wants 40Gbps, the eGPU, could be either way. Given the GPU though, it’s probably the full 40 as well.

Oh, yeah, he did say eGPU 4080.

Honestly, 40gbps was hitting the limits of my 1070 a few years back, so I’m not sure how the 4080 performs lol. That thing must run cool as ever

Run the best it can through thunderbolt I guess.

1 Like

That’s not the same model.

I wonder what the difference is.

CAC-1578 is the one I linked.

Fucking amazon…

Disregard that, The options there, choose the 2m, 40gbps variant and you’ve got a winner.

How brightly the beauty of USB versioning shines! Why… a USB cable by any other speed is just as 4!

2 Likes

This was the same problem as thunderbolt 3, but yeah. Whoever’s making the decisions at the USB IF, well… I hope they trip on a USB 4.2 Gen 2 x2.57 (Real Name TBD) cable tonight.

1 Like

Oh wow! Yeah this may be pretty much a good candidate! CAC-1578: Club3D

I do need the 40Gbps on the eGPU setup, so definitely this variant of the cable is something that should work!

What a journey! These USB-IF folks are truly smoking something out of this world!

1 Like

Whatever shit they’ve got, that’s how I want to go out.

1 Like

Actually it performs amazingly well, paired with a 13700H I can do all of my stuff and game at 1440p - it’s a breeze! I had before a 2080 and a 3070, which I relegated now to server duty (number crunching and what not) and the stability is amazing, I don’t get top framerates for sure, but when Overwatch is running at 300fps… I can’t complain!