Is there a solution to watch streaming services (Netfilix, Prime etc) on Linux with decent quality? Windows VM?

Netflix gives me 1080 on full fat chrome.
To go above that, they stipulate edge on Windows.
Wasn’t bothered enough to go for it, even though I have the means, it just is not worth the hassle, for me.

1 Like

Have you tried a live version of any other linux distro’s? As a trouble shoot?
I have not had a great deal of luck with advanced graphics/playback on Fedora, and just went back to ‘buntu rather than stick around and fix it…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure one can install full fat chrome and nvidia drivers on live ‘buntu distro’s

1 Like

Within the last few months I noticed that the Netflix 1080p extension for Firefox stopped working so made humble with 720p. As I saw this post, I decided to reinstall the Firefox extension and finally it works again! Maybe you can try that out or retest if it didn’t work initially?

Prime is a lost cause for me, SD only however youtube has no issue really at 1440p or 1080p. On youtube I do sometimes notice screen tearing but only at full screen.

1 Like

Ive binged on the Witcher when it came out on Netflix. It was a pitiful experience on Linux, quality was even worse than 720 for some reason.

1 Like

The primary reason Linux gets shafted is because it only supports Widevine Tier 1. This one does not require HDCP verification to watch protected content.

Widevine Tier 2 unlocks higher resolutions for movies and if only Tier 1 is available for a Tier 2 locked title, falls back to 540p due to DRM similar to the AACS ICT. (Image Constraint Token) For stuff like Disney+, they don’t allow Tier 1, only Tier 2.

Even if a title is 1080p on Tier 1 only TV shows, the ICT on Tier 2 limited titles like movies means even if you try to get 1080p, you only get 540p. Tier 2 enforces HDCP verification, and if it fails, it will not run (in the case of Disney+) or will do ICT and lower the resolution on purpose.

Best thing to do is to use Chromium Edge on Windows. That has Microsoft PlayReady DRM which Netflix uses for Netflix 4K on PC. Netflix actually runs on Widevine, Fairplay (Apple DRM) and Playready (Microsoft DRM). This is why 4K is not available with pure Widevine DRM for browsers. Widevine for Devices though will unlock 4K for specific devices only.

Or, if you believe what Manjaro is spitting out: Use Manjaro ARM and Docker https://twitter.com/ManjaroLinux/status/1256107853359845379

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9680&pid=65008#pid65008

Though this might also be Tier 1, since it uses a Netflix 1080p extension.

2 Likes

Speaking of 4K Netflix on Windows. I’ve run that on a Windows laptop before and after a Windows update it stopped working. Then eventually it started to work again. No clue as to why.

But apparently its DRM is so twitchy it doesn’t even trust itself.

1 Like

Out of nowhere After testing Disney+ and HBOMax I getting very good streaming quality, I decided trying it again with the Netflix 1080P + the User-agent extensions and if worked. Just took 2+ years and whatever combination of things.
I am now on Fedora Workstation 34.

1 Like

To keep updated
Netflix, only on Firefox, still working, and now I am on Fedora 35 Beta and a different laptop (Yay!). I have no clue why it never worked before.
Disney+ worked in Full HD, at least the quality looked like it, clearly better than Netflix and Prime. HBOMax also seems to also be in Full HD. Just Prime keeps limiting the resolution/bandwidth.