Is Logan's occasional hate speech intentional?

If you analyze anybody's speech to this level you will find out that they say offensive/ignorant things, whether they have negative feelings towards a particular social group or not. I'll bet at some point in your life you have described something/someone as "retarded", using "retarded" as an insult. If you are any kind of decent human being you won't hate someone because they have a mental handicap, but because we hear others around us describe dumb things/people as "retarded," we adopt the expression. Most of us are fortunate enough to not talk on camera for hours every week in an informal setting to have every questionable thing we say seen by thousands, so we don't get called on it.

I can promise you that you say offensive things whether you realize it or not. I guess what I'm saying is, at some point it is your responsibility to grow thicker skin. If he starts preaching that we should treat homosexuals differently, or somehow hold homosexuals to a different standard than anyone else, then you would be right to be offended. If people start acting offended over every little thing, most people (including myself) will give up any and all attempts of being politically correct. If you can't handle the occasional misuse of a word with a pseudo negative connotation towards your social group, the real world is not for you.

Context is key.

It shouldn't be acceptable to use words that alienate people in a negative way, that's why you don't see anyone here using the N word because everyone understands this point. Is it related to a group of people? Does it have negative connotations? Is there a different word that would be just a suitable that is less offensive? These questions should all be considered when speaking, especially in public. If you want to speak freely without controversy there are places on the internet for you where it is acceptable, 4chan, reddit, youtube comments. However there are times when it is acceptable, this decision should be left to the speaker as anyone should be allowed to say anything regardless of it's reception. Now excuse me while I go burn a fagot for my wood stove.

puns are fun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-55wC5dEnc

Well, everyone have the right to be offended.Look those videos, and take for whatever topic you wish.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sZag4LUNw

And public apology:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmGocfFQfVE

+1

OP is a she.

Stay classy.

regardless.

I have gay/trans/etc. friends and think they are all amazing people... when I hang out with them they are only people to me... they are not, "my gay friends" or anything stupid like that. If I call a gay person gay then you can be upset.

I actually got hooked on the phrase "That's gay!" when I was living with a gay dude in NYC. He would always say, "That's gay!" or, "Don't be gay!" when I was being silly. So, go yell at the gay guy who got me saying gay things...

Also, I say, "This is queer," a lot. I have said it since before I knew what homosexuality was (since I was like 6). Queer means strange or weird... I have never associated strange and weird with homosexuality. It's totally cool and normal. There is no reason to call it anything.

There is no hate speech.. I'm shocked, triggered, and offended that you would call it "hate speech!" lol... but really, there are some overly-sensitive types making something out of absolutely nothing. I sometimes think people go out of their way to be offended by nonsense that means nothing. 

If you are still offended... don't be....

+1

ahahahah fucking love you

Thanks Logan. (hate speech isn't the correct word as I said in a previous comment, more of a filler phrase, a bad one I admit.) I understand and see where your coming from now and am not offended, its interesting to hear everyone's opinion too. I guess I must just be a bit softer than I should be when it comes to this sort of thing, the places I grew up must have not grown up with the rest of the world. Seems like this is a normal thing everywhere else while there these terms are still a term used to attack/diminish people who either are homosexual or are seen as fitting into that stereotype so its just a bit shocking for me to hear it used in another context. Thanks for taking some time to read and reply, this thread was a BIT more dramatic than I intended lol.

^This.

Ok so this statement needs a little background to make sense. I am a DJ when I'm not at university and I do mostly big events and parties and ball rooms and halls everything from "Golden Oldies" parties to proms. I once did a party for a large convention of homosexual men. The speaker walks up to the podium dressed in a pink and white three-piece suit and the first words out of his mouth are "GOOOOD EEEEEVENING FAGGOTS!". Now at the time I was a little put off and was worried the crowd would be angry with him and then I realized that all of them were laughing and cheering wildly. I played Katy Perry's "Firework" as he walked off stage and the rest of the evening went off without a hitch. So moral of the story is that when taken out of context things take on a whole other character. In context something that would otherwise be extremely rude and would probably get you punched in the face produced cheers and laughter.

I think the OP is one of those people that go and see famous comedians like Louis CK, even though he knows said comedian will upset him, and then is surprised and offended, and has to announce it.  I think OP needs snow cone for that hot buttsore he's got going on.

damn thats what you call "owning it"

I use the term 'gay' quite often, without giving a shit really.  On occasion, I've even been known to use extra esses.

Butt seriously, people sometimes call me a "big hetro," and it's all good, because I know they're just kidding; they all know I'm just an average hetro.

Why the hell is everyone so sensitive these days?  Holy shit.. Logan would be the last person in the world to ever accuse of something like this!  Isn't that obvious?

My friends who are of the gay seem to be the least sensitive of all.  It's the closet homosexuals who are most touchy!

There's actually studies on how homophobes are more aroused by homosexual videos than people who don't identify as homophobes.  Maybe they are overcompensating for their inner true feelings.

..now back to my day of being offended at the Flintstones theme ("..they have a gay old time!!").