Is it possible to buy a OLED TV with no EULA?

You shouldn’t belittle people’s views

6 Likes

I recall seeing a project that diy’ed the controller for a monitor and you just had to buy one of the compatible displays to put it together, maybe something like this exists or could be made to exist for TVs as well.
The ghetto version would be to get 4 slim bezzle monitors and put them next to each other I suppose.

You could try getting one of those digital signage displays, but I would expect to pay commercial prices for those as well unless used. Not sure where you’d look for one of those used. Maybe a university surplus.

Yeah this is exactly what I want to avoid. I used the specification of EULA to indicate my problem in the original question but in general I just want a OLED TV with no smart features built in.

1 Like

Never let it online. Use a another box to display content which you control.
Smart TV’s may as well be attack vectors into rich people’s homes.

I too think that privacy and security concerns for TV’s are a big deal. I would also love to be able to buy a “pure” no bullshit high image quality panel with no extra features whatsoever. No internet, no apps, not even speakers or tuner: just the best possible image quality panel and screen, with corresponding inputs and outputs.
Also, the fact that Smart TV prices are artificially lowered because of subsidizing by Amazon et al should make us reflect on the so called and ever celebrated market “freedom”, since it is a value or price distortion that comes into being by the mere interplay between private actors that have a monopoly on the market, preventing some other actor from offering a competitive high quality alternative for privacy-conscious users. Of course, Amazon, Sony, etc., have the backing of Nation States that need the data for surveillance purposes, and in this sense they are also in on it as much as the companies actually producing or selling these TV’s.
In any case, I just wanted to point out that this is a political challenge we have today and in my opinion calls for some action, though I’m not sure what could be done about it.

1 Like

Sony X series can turn off android TV completely. You dont have to consent to android TV license agreement until you use android tv

Thats as close ad you get. No others do this

Alternatively you have the slim pickings of large format oled monitors

Other than that you have no other solution. This is the reality of the world.

That said Sony makes some really nice stuff.

Had a thought:
Maybe a Samsung Pro-TV or Digital Signage TV might work. The later one is dumb as a brick, so to speak. Not OLED as far as I know due to “burn in” concerns in their respective application.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.