Is it possible to buy a OLED TV with no EULA?

I tried looking for a OLED TV without any smart stuff in it and I couldn’t really find anything. Are there any hardware vendors that sell TVs without terms of service or any smart shit on them?

PS: Before anyone tells me “ohh you can just turn those things off” generally you have to agree to the licensing before you can use the TV and even if they don’t, I would rather not have any smart features even built into the TV.

3 Likes

Not that I know of.

Although I don’t remember ever getting a EULA on my LG OLED, probably because I never connected it to the LAN.

2 Likes

buy one, don’t put it online.
This is what I did.

issue solved

you don’t have to agree to anything, and you can still use your tv

3 Likes

Generally you have to agree to the licensing before you can use the TV and even if they don’t, I would rather not have any smart features even built into the TV.

1 Like

Well citing the same thing over won’t change anything about the situation.

To my knowledge no (at least reputable) company makes non-smart TVs anymore. And even less even make OLEDs.

Either deal with it or don’t, your choice.

You can also look into OLED Monitors, but there are even less of those and a Monitor behaves differently then a TV.

you are wrong, stop repeating false information. I have 3 smart tvs and none are online at the moment and none had an EULA I was forced into.

you don’t need to do this, just don’t let it get online, problem solved

2 Likes

I mean you’re not reading what I’m saying. I said I don’t want the smart features built into the TV.

1 Like

then don’t buy a TV, they all have them now

your only choice is to not let it get online

2 Likes

Ok don’t reply to this thread if you don’t have anything to contribute. Its like when people ask a stackoverflow question and then people reply with “Why are you doing X you should be doing Y”.

1 Like

Well you seem friendly, that’s certainly the best way to get help :+1:

6 Likes

I mean I’m not trying to be offensive. It’s just not helpful to reply with a comment like:

buy one, don’t put it online.
This is what I did.
issue solved
you don’t have to agree to anything, and you can still use your tv

Your comments were fine. Just dismissing my issue as solved when the reply doesn’t answer my question is frustrating because it doesn’t help. I put the clarification in my question because I have asked this question before elsewhere in the past couple years and people usually brush the question off as not being valid because their use case is different than mine.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing a lot of new Display technologies being talked about on the wan show by linus, one of them was supposed to be a successor to OLED without the burn in

I feel like the OLED market isn’t super huge right now and is only tacked onto Smart TVs where it being smart is the main feature and OLED a secondary selling point

when and if these new technologies become popular I would imagine they would be the main selling point and won’t have to rely on Smart features, that being said Smart TV’s are looking like the new must have check box for TVs

1 Like

Yeah I like OLED because of the high contrast that just isn’t met with anything else. I currently have a OLED laptop and I love it after having it for a few years I just wish I could have that same thing in a 40< inch form factor.

the one I heard about was basically OLED but it manipulates the white LED to look like other color so you don’t get the blue LEDs burning out or something, it maybe have been on craft computing that I saw it on

Might a monitor with a dvb/dvr box be more what OP is looking for? High quality “dumb” screen?
Obviously the TV parts would need to be added separately, but even a chrome cast or whatever can add that?

I presume OP realises that to actually get content for the screen would require a EULA or contract somewhere along the line…

Oh, and I guess not all monitors have sound, so might require a separate DAC or HDMI breakout box.

A “smart” tv would be cheaper though

1 Like

If you’re searching in that size forget it. There are only 2 companies that make OLED Panels: LG and Samsung. And both have their speciality sizes.

Samsung makes (AMO)OLEDs for small form factors, i.e. phone up to laptop.

LG makes the big panels, i.e. TVs. And they only make 55, 65, and 85 inch panels. Recently they started making 43(?) inch panels that are in a handful or monitors. But that’s it. There is nothing in between Laptop and 40+ inch.

Dell wanted to come out with an OLED monitor in 32(?) inch years ago, but I guess they never found anyone making the panels because it was quietly canceled and never heard of again.

I was in your situation a few years ago, when I got my own place. I too wanted a dumb oled tv.
Sadly, they don’t exist.
I bought a LG 65" C8, and just didn’t connect it to the internet.
I have a chromecast, an htpc & a 4k blu ray player connected to it.
It’s all controlled by a logitech harmony hub.
From my user experience, the tv acts as a dumb tv, since i never see its menus. The harmony hub switches the input directly.

2 Likes

I think the real issue is that as long as you get a TV that is connected to the internet, you basically have to agree to some form of EULA since the company selling the TV has to make sure that you dont do something nefarius with it and makes sure that if you do, its not responsible for it.

The real question is why you dont want a EULA!

So while for me personally the answer of @jdfthetech was straight to the point and maybe a bit harsh, he propably is right.

2 Likes

I totaly understand @trexd. I like “dumb”-electronics, I want myself to be the one to make decisions.

4 Likes

You could get a large format OLED monitor…

But that is much more expensive to avoid an EULA or smart features. That has been outlined here how to make it a non-issue.