Is it possible to buy a OLED TV with no EULA?

jdfthetech’s answers are quite helpful. You keep saying you don’t want an EULA, and you were told repeatedly you are mistaken and can easily avoid the EULA.

The second part is a bit like saying you don’t want any brown M&Ms… Tape over the word “Smart” on the box, and a few buttons on the remote, and you won’t know the difference. If you had a rationale, you might get better answers.

1 Like

Use the key words “monitor”, " Commercial Display “, and/or " Digital Signage Display” to find TV’s without SMART features.

They’ll be more expensive (SMART TV’s are subsidized by whoever’s software is run on them, such as Amazon Fire TV or Google Android TV/Chromecast), just an FYI, but most won’t have a dumb EULA or analytics.

1 Like

Yeah alienware makes a nice monitor that’s 55inch oled but it’s got a lot of gamer features that I would rather not pay for as you said.

I’ll probably check-in in another few years then and see if there are any new options as gigabuster mentioned. I don’t feel the need to compromise on buying a tv with smart features built in so I’ll just wait it out.

Unfortunately, when you’re buying a niche product you’re going to have to pay niche prices.

The vast majority of people don’t care about accepting EULAs and think the “smart” TV functions are great. So that’s what is cheaper, because those can be mass produced.

It even appears that the line is blurring. Samsung is now making a “smart” monitor. With their Tizen-based OS.
And Linus Tech Tips is recommending LG OLEDS as monitors now.

1 Like

It’s highly doubtful that the situation will get any better in a few years. If anything it will more than likely get even worse. The standard home TV producers are not going to suddenly start producing TVs with few features. They are going to keep adding more and more features.

I know you don’t like hearing this, but your only viable options are to get a home TV and not connect it to the internet or spend a lot more for a commercial panel, many of which won’t even have a TV Tuner built in.

Sorry, but this is the reality of today and something you are going to have to cope with.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity I’d like to know why you don’t want just a normal OLED smart TV?

Or the EULA part of it?

Same reasons you’d not want to run windows I’d guess. You care about your data, privacy, and don’t enjoy the bloat or added cost.

1 Like

Yes as long as it does not need a bios update. never let it online. Even then update it and cut it off again.

Its one channel one signal all its life.

My current TV connected to my PC is nearly 10 years old … never online.

1 Like

Kind of off topic … How long till tech looks for any chance to connect to the mother ship were you as a buyer do not have a ban limit it hunts for an idiot with an open port.

2 Likes

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/broadcastpromonitors/bvm-x300-v2

All the pro’s use it, studios et al I assume. Price is no issue when in regards to privacy for some. Also DCI 4K :drooling_face:

1 Like

Price:

$35,000.95

Yeah… No.

That is a color reference monitor for studio editing, most likely for cinema productions or tv shows.

It’s price has nothing to do with privacy.

You wont find that in a regular video production company, this is truly high end and only the biggest studios will have a display of this caliber.
I mean…

Doesn’t BlackMagic have something similar? Have to check.
Good find though :smiley:

Not so sure about that. Costs less thn a 10th of what most TV-studio camera setups cost.

Give it time and it will be $499. And 12k will be $35K

1 Like

I forgot there will be one hell of a EULA but. In HD!’

Wait it will be a plain old blocky UI. ran out of money

In the recent years I had the opportunity to work with multiple different filming companies (in europa that is), some specializing in documentaries (propably the most demanding in terms of camera setup ect) and I know that their entire equipment they take to film in another country and take with them is about 125k€ (=148k USD) because we talked about insuring it. The funny thing is, the camera,a blackmagic ursa mini 12k at ~10k USD isnt even the most expensive thing, their camera lenses are!
They use a Pro Display XDR to do color calibration and told me its a very good “budget” option for them at 7,7K USD that fights in a much higher class than its price.

You still might be right that a typical Tv studio has a camera setup thats worth more than half a million, but still there is not much gain for them by using a display like this since a tv studio doesnt have the same high standarts for color accuracy like cinmea production has.

Anyway, I think we are super offtopic here!

@trexd have you been looking at BFGD’s? Im not sure if they are just “dumb” displays without smart functions.

1 Like

+1 to a TV without a EULA! Smart TVs may be “convenient” but if the manufacturer stops supporting it, it’s a liability (hell they’re probably not the most secure even while still supported).

If I want smarts in my TV experience, I’ll hook up an HTPC or Apple TV or any modern gaming console.

How is it a liability when not connected to the internet?

If only there was a way to do that with a smartTV… Mh, well shit I don’t think we have the connector for that :facepalm:

1 Like

Exactly my point. I just want to hook a thing up via HDMI and let the thing I hook up do the smarts.

that’s on me for not being specific.
I just want a dumb TV with no smart features. No nag every time I turn on the TV saying “Hey there’s these WiFi networks, do you want me to connect?” or “Hey you got this neat-o smart TV! take a look at these smart apps”. No, just turn on to the same input I always use so my HTPC can do its thing.

I had to call support for one of my TVs (an LG) due to an issue with one of the HDR content. They couldn’t just send me a firmware file, I had to hook it up to the internet to update the firmware to fix an issue where HDR content would cause the TV to freak out. To update the firmware and make my TV work as advertised, I had to agree to the EULAs even though I don’t want LG sending voice data to their servers and Amazon’s or Google’s servers. I just wanted to fix an issue with my TV.

2 Likes

So go buy a second-hand tv from the 90s :joy:
Should be nice and dumb enough for you. While you guys are at it just throw that smart phone you have too away…