Intel throwing people under the bus because of Ryzen?

In their defense, the 8700k is a 6 core mainstream i7. You get 2 additional cores, so I’d say there could be need for it.

If you had a 6700k or a 7700k, you could argue against need for an 8700k, but I think there has been enough (only just barely) performance increase.

Of course its all still a rumor i guess?
And rumors in general dont really mean much.

However my guess is that intels goal is to sepperate the mainstream platform,
from the HEDT platform a bit more.
We allready seen the 7820X 8 core on X299 having a cut down in pci-e lanes.
My guess that intel might only launch i9 10 Core + Sku´s for the next batch of X299 cpu´s.
Making the gab between the mainstream and HEDT platform larger in terms of pricing and feutures.
I dont think that this has much to do with AMD.
Intel is just shifting up, nothing wrong with that.

There is need, but it all depends entirely on what you are doing…
For example:
If I didn’t want to go back to YouTube and try again, more serious this time, I probably would not even consider changing my system. My 60$ 4 years old Athlon 760K is doing just fine… But i’ll be damn, if I wait 4 hours again for 30 minute video render.
On the other hand - all the games I ever wanted to play run just fine. Hand Of Fate 1 and 2, PSP emulation, 90s retro games, Banished, Skyrim, Prison Architect…
The issue is not the need, the issue is the implementation, that seems to only benefit Intel and nobody else.

What?

2 Likes

Why would it?

People are just demending for more, so intel has to envolve at some stage.
I personally dont think that intel is too concerned about Ryzen tbh.
My guess is that intel just want to bring the HEDT platform to a higher stage.
Like i said, i wouldnt be suprised if we only see Core i9 sku’s on HEDT in the future.

But yeah aside from that, Z390 is just a rumor.

Intel have been using quad core cpu for the mainstream market in the last… 8 years? You don’t think them moving from quad cores to the existing 6 cores 12 threads and rumored 8 cores 16 threads have anything to do with actually bringing some sort of competition to the Recent 7 products? Not to mention they started 2017 with quad core mainstream and will close 2018 with 8 core mainstream… Nothing to do with amd, ryzen and threadripper?

Just wanted to add to that, there is AMD 400 series chipset as well… Same socket, just new chipset…

We’ve been demanding more than quad since the Ivy Bridge days. They only gave us 6 because AMD finally successfully made 8 cores mainstream.

This is true, but AMD has promised us backwards compatibility for X370 and B350. We’ll see if they deliver, but I’m optimistic.

Yeah because the 8700K is allready compatitive to Ryzen 7 performance wise.
They basiclly dont have to bring an 8 core sku to mainstream persee.
But if they do it, then my guess that one of the main reasons would be,
to get rid of entry cut down HEDT chips.
It could also be that they also want an 8 core on mainstream like AMD has.
Just because AMD has it, but they basiclly dont have to.
Intels current lineup is a pretty mess for that matter, i think thats a larger concern for them.

I would be currious how the 8 core mainstream cpu is going to be build up.
Since rumors talk about, possible new z390 chipset.