Intel S2600CP not booting

Hey guys.

So at the end of this thread I decided to get this bundle: https://www.natex.us/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=S2600CP-CPU-64GB-12800

It's an Intel S2600CP motherboard, two Intel E5-2670 processors, and 64GB of RAM. I installed two Cooler Master T4 coolers on the CPUs.

My power supply (a basic Seasonic 550W) didn't have two EPS connectors, only one. So I got a 4-pin molex to 8-pin EPS adapter and plugged that in.

Now, my problem is that it won't boot. I looked up the SSI front panel connector pin out, and plugged in only the power switch. When I press it the onboard speaker makes a really quick "click-click" and all the fans spin for a second, then nothing. I think the onboard green power LEDs turn off, then a few seconds later turn back on.

Is this indicative of the power supply not being able to power everything? I plugged it into a kill-a-watt and when I press the power button and it draws 36 watts for a second, then nothing. My previous system with the same power supply worked fine.

Stop that! You might damage things. You need two EPS without adapter stuff.

My silverstone 520W is more than enough for such a system. It is a rebranded seasonic and it is fully modular. You can get a second CPU/PCIe to EPS cable from seasonic, I guess. Is your power supply modular?

1 Like

No, it's not modular. I was figuring it was a power problem.

If it did turn put to be a power problem I was going to get a Seasonic X-650, because the x-series has true dual EPS connectors. But they only go down to 650 watt. Any other Seasonic that has dual EPS that isn't as expensive?

What other components are going in there?

molex power cable has only 1 12volt wire, you are splitting it into many but the current has to go through that single wire to the point where its split . few things might go wrong.

@ignx I see what you mean about he single 12v wire. In retrospect that seems like a bad idea. I was looking for a 6/8-pin PCI-e to EPS adapter, but the gender was wrong on all the ones I found, so I just went with the 4-pin molex. I probably just need to get a power supply that has two proper EPS connectors.

@noenken I was testing with only an SSD and the motherboard plugged in. Immediately I am going to add 4 hard drives. In the near future I am going to add an HBA card and 8 more hard drives. Maybe someday down the road I will add a video card for hardware passthrough to a VM. Maybe a second HBA card and 4 to 6 more hard drives.

you coud make the cable or adapter yourself, but crimping tools might be expensive, or if you have a gpu cable you could remove connector and put cpu connector on it. but you have to do it right.By right i mean correct voltage and ground pin layout.

What you want is something like this:

That is a 520W Saesonic M12II. It is 80+ bronze and not expensive. But for the amount of stuff you want to put in there the 650W seems to be a better fit. And that is excluding the GPU.

The power supply is turning on and off, that's why you hear those two clicks. I think you can't use the 12V dedicated for molex and PCI connectors to power a CPU, that's a really bad idea (and the power supply agreees with me I guess). You should try to find a true dual-EPS power supply or go for a dual power supply configuration (the dumb way).

The CPU/PCI connections on the seasonic can handle that. As I said, my silverstone is a rebranded seasonic and it is doing just fine powering my dual 2670s.

Maybe they're using a different revision for the PSU board. Also I think is a bad idea not because the connector cannot handle the power draw but because those two 12V rails are handleled differently, that's why you can't use a PCI power cable to power the CPU and vice versa.

Yeah, different cable. As I said.

Your PSU has clearly labeled PCI/EPS connectors so they can work both ways. His power supply is not modular and only has one CPU power cable so he's stuck using just single-CPU systems with that power supply, that's it.

Alright. I have an M12II 750W in my main desktop system. I just checked and it does indeed come with two EPS cables. I am using one for the Z170-A motherboard and there is one in the box. Cool.

So my options are: An M12II 620W or an X-650. the former is 80+ Bronze, the latter 80+ Gold. The power supply I have now is Gold. The M12II is $75, the x-650 is $122. Would the higher price be worth it for the Gold power rating? I mean, this system is going to be running 24/7.

I guess noise isn't an issue with all those HDDs. Still, PSUs are one of those things where you really get what you pay for.

I think I am leaning for the X-650. I just want the better quality and better power efficiency.

On a somewhat related topic, does this seem like a bad idea? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/sop/5600672095.html

I wouldn't buy used drives.

I would go for the gold power supply, because you'll be running the system 24/7 and the added efficiency is a bonus.

Yeah, I ordered the Seasonic X650. That'll be very nice. I hope the main 24-pin cable is long, because the motherboard connector is on the other side of the case.

Also ordered some stuff to clean up the fan situation. All the 4-pin molex connectors are a pain to plug in and keep out of the way. Three 120mm in front, three 120mm in the middle, and two 80mm in the rear.

I am also going to extend the front panel connectors with some wire and soldering. Might need to get some USB extensions, though.

Well, unfortunately the new power supply did not help. It does the same thing. I press the power button, the fans spin for a second, and I hear a click come from the onboard speaker. I also think I hear a click come from the power supply, which leads me to believe that there is something electrically wrong with the motherboard.

Thoughts?