Intel S2600CP not booting

Did you reset the bios to default settings/cleared cmos ?maybe it doesnt come with the ram it used to work with etc, it was set for pxe booting and so on ? did you clean contacts on ram etc? server motherboards can take a long time to boot up,my supermicro doesnt post for about 20-30 s after press start button (system checks ,memory checks etc).Did you try starting it with a single cpu and a single stick of ram ?

I just did all of what you said. Some of it for the second or third time. None of it helped.

I jumped the BIOS Defaults jumper for a few minutes with the power unplugged. I checked/reseated the processors. I ran it with one processor and one stick in RAM (in slot A1). I ran it with two processors and two sticks of ram (slots A1 and E1). I cleaned the memory contacts. I tried different connectors on the modular power supply. I even plugged it directly into the wall, instead of into a power strip.

I can't think of anything else.

I contacted Natex last night and got this in an email this afternoon:: "We would like to see if you would want to send us the whole unit and and we can send it back working." I am not sure what they mean by "the whole unit." If they mean the motherboard in the case with the power supply, then I can't do that. If they mean just how they sent it, then maybe.

Is there something I'm missing? I hate for it to be something stupid and send it back to them for no reason. I have the memory in the blue slots, because they are the "1" slots. A1, B1, C1, E1, etc. The black slots are "2" slots, so I assumed the DIMMs should be in the blue slots. I can't find the memory configuration information in the service guide for this motherboard. If I leave it plugged in it will randomly attempt to start, but it does the same thing as when I jump the power switch pins.

Does the board have a hearbeat? Led in the back near the io panel.

1. Replace the cmos battery, its most likely the original in the board.
  2. Remove everything but 1 cpu and 1 dimm. See if it posts.
  3. Put it in to bios recovery. See if something changes
  4. If said above doesnt work its most likely a bad board, they will send you a new one

There is not a heartbeat. When I plug the board into power the green light at the back of the board as well as the one near the main 24-pin power connector both turn on solid. When I attempt to start they both turn off for a few seconds, then turn back on solid after not booting.

I did try replacing the cmos battery with a known good one. Sorry, I forgot I did that.

I tried booting with one CPU and one stick of RAM. Did the same thing.

I have not tried BIOS recovery. Only resetting to default. I will try the BIOS recovery tonight when I get home from work.

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/eb/e2/ebe2dca3-a35d-4a5f-ab21-06833da23623.pdf

have you checkes if any jumpers are in place on mobo, i linked a manual here

The Bios Recovery most likely wont bring it back but its worth a shot. I would most likely contact them for a replacement to get that process started.

@ignx Yeah, that's the same manual I've been looking at.

@gigabit The BIOS Recovery didn't do anything. Same results when I attempt to power on.

I'm going to pack it up in the box it came in and send it back to Natex. We'll see what I get back later next week. Sucks because now my fileserver has been down for quite some time. I may slap the old system back into it just so I have easy access to my files again.

So, I don't know if anyone really cares, but I'll do a bit of an update.

I have been having issues with Natex and the kit I bought from them. It's been over a month since I originally bought it. I just got the replacement motherboard today, and unfortunately that's all I got; they forgot to include the processors and the tray of memory. I got the motherboard with the black plastic socket protectors on it.

So I just sent them another email asking if this was a mistake or if there is another package coming with the CPUs and memory in it. I only got one tracking number, so I assume someone forgot to throw them in the box.

To be honest I think they completely forgot about me, because they received my package on 6/30 and I didn't hear from them all last week. I sent them an email on Friday morning (7/8) asking if they had received the package. I came home from work and they had sent back a reply late in the afternoon (still 7/8) saying they did and that they had sent out the replacement.

It got here quick, I'll give them that. But they forgot the processors and memory.

So, yeah, not super impressed.

That sucks. I think it is always valuable information if something like this happens. I am definitely interested how this turns out.

A coworker of mine purchased the S2600CP, E5-2670 and 128GB bundle from Natex and it had the same issue that you were having, it would not boot it would try and spin up the fans for just a second then turn off. He contacted them for a replacement and they sent him a new motherboard but didn't ask him to send anything back. He had to transfer the CPU's and Memory over to the new board. He uses it as a server so its been on 24/7 for 4-5 months without issue.

Your situation is definitely a bummer. I hope they fix it quickly or return your money.

Yeah, I got a message on Wednesday saying that they usually only ask for and send out the motherboard for replacements. I was told to send "everything" back, so I did. She said she was sorry that it wasn't communicated better. So they sent out the processors and memory sometime on Wednesday. But I did not get a tracking number.

I have not received them yet, which is disappointing because I was wanting to work on that project this weekend.

Got the processors and memory today. Put everything in the case and powered it up. Got some weird beep code and had one hell of a time figuring out the nibble lights. Finally pinned it down to a memory issue. Looked close at how I had installed them and realized I had put them all in the black (2) slots instead of the blue (1) slots. So I flipped them all and it booted right up. Currently running memtest.

Thanks for the help and support, guys.

1 Like

Finally something positive. Now have fun with all those cores. :)

Oh I will. I am waiting on a couple things from amazon, mainly to finish tidying up the cables. I also got four more 2TB hard drives to go with the four I have. And I got a Dell PERC H310 that I am going to flash to be an HBA card.

I am going to be starting my storage solution from scratch this time. I have moved the current encrypted LVM setup from two previous systems. It's time to start over. I need to figure out what to do with eight 2TB drives. My OS is still going to be Fedora Server, 24 this time.

I also would like to get a video card to do hardware passthrough to a windows VM (like I do with my desktop). I want to see if it would work good with steam in home streaming.

So, just out of curiosity, errors during the memtest is bad, right? It looks like there are 343 errors, and that they happened during test 13 "hammer test'. It's only 65% of the way through that test right now. Total time in memtest is almost 10 hours.

Yeah, there is something dead and rotten in that memory kit then. Try every stick on it's own and after that try every slot on it's own.

I'm sorry to say it but to me it looks like those natex people are just selling garbage. Are the CPUs even C2?

it may or may not, it may also mean that xmp profile (or oc )is not stable, timings are not tuned, kit is a mismatch or combined from random memory modules, delivered voltages are not good enough now due to degradation of hardware). Bios issues ( bios revisios tend to sort that problem sometimes). Best option is to remove xmp and test every module on its own if its worth your time. Sometimes some issues are discovered later than the list of compatibile memory list was created ( supermicro removed some kingston from supported memory list )

I'm pretty sure they are C2. I will have to look again when I get home. It was advertised as being the better version.

I just sent them an email asking what their warranty is for memory.

Yes, both processors are SR0KX. So at least I have two C2 stepping CPUs and a good motherboard.

I really hope I hear back from them about the memory. I checked this evening and it seemed to have stalled on that same test, even though the timer was still going (over 25 hours). The errors had gone up to an even 700.

All the sticks are identical, and the memory setup in the BIOS seems OK. There are no XMP profiles or OCs on this board. It's set to 1600 and ECC and a few other things and that's it. I don't really want to test each stick individually, but I suppose I will if I have to, if I don't hear back from them.

So for the last week and a half I have been testing memory modules. Individually. Each 8GB stick takes about 11 and a half hours to do all four passes.

Not a single one came up with errors.

At first I ran probably six sticks through only two passes. Then the last two I did all four passes. Then I went in reverse order and did all eight sticks at the full four passes. Zero errors.

I just installed four sticks (32GB) and started the test again. I am going to let it go through all four passes, which is going to take days I'm sure.

Any reason it would originally come up with 700 errors with all 64GB installed? All sticks are identical.

I never heard back from Natex about the memory.