Intel Optane 900p : Our Initial thoughts and Testing | Level One Techs

Anandtech Review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review

Benchmark: https://openbenchmarking.org/result/1802112-TY-900PBYTEE44 Note: The 960 Pro should be around 16-20 not as much as you see here. However, the 960 Pro was formatted XFS not EXT4 and its firmware is "file system aware" so I am guessing that is the performance delta here vs other reported benchmarks. It could also be the 960 pro has had some use now and is not a blank/empty drive which also affects benchmarks somewhat. Most other benchmarks do not show this much performance delta between optane and the new nvme 960 pro 1tb. (this is approx sata nand speeds in this sqlite test from the 960 pro).
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/intel-optane-900p-our-initial-thoughts-and-testing

Would this be useful when running a huge data set for a project like lucida? using the optane as a swap area when RAM usage is almost capped out

2 Likes

Damn are those Tidepods microwaved now ?
You guys have some strange fetish for real, a few months back there were keycaps with the letters “Tea” mixed with M&M. For about 2 weeks there are Tidepods and now they look like they went trough some thermal changes in structure.

Also whats up with those screws about a year back you disproved of anything but they are in every video and are even increasing in numbers and diverse in sizes?

However great video.

The portrait advertising display in the back is awesome.

@wendell, I have a question regarding swap usage on Linux with Optane.

Imagine I have a linux system with 16GB of RAM and an empty M.2 slot.

Taking into account ram is insanely expensive right now, how would these configs compare in terms of performance:

• Upgrade the system to 48GB of memory (with a 2x16gb kit), no swap usage.
  • Upgrade the system with an Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD and set it all as a swap drive.

ram will always be better than optane but if you have an absurdly huge dataset, north of 100gb, optane may make sense

1 Like

Have you tested the intel software that converts optane to ram for RHEL/SUSE?

I was under the impression it doesn’t work on the 900p… does it?

You got me wondering about the technology Intel uses. Apart from beeing delayed a bunch of times and then not really beeing available in 2017, it is expensive.

Now to the “bunch of technology”:

28 memory chips for 480GB total capacity. That would be just over of 17GB per chip.

For comparison, Samsungs 960pro 2TB drive has 4 memory chips (250GB each) and one controller on it.
So either Intels solution lacks severly in the density department or is overprovisioned to make up for something.

1 Like

idk… should be worth a try.

I’m assuming being built for IOPS means less density and more parallelism from the controllers perspective.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Will look for endurance benchmarks.

I don’t really have any endurance numbers but the iodrive and iodrive2 we have been using for years that were built like these intel 750s( the iodrives were the exemplars of the 750 design) have > 90% endurance remaining after 5+ years of continuous 24/7 use. Even in grueling conditions. I’ve got one DB server that totally rewrites the SSD once or twice a week and it’s still at like 91%

So it’s all a bit anecdotal… But you’d need optane endurance numbers if you were using it instead of ram

1 Like

the terminator head should have a tide pod in its mouth, just sayin.

3 Likes

Makes sense, but that makes me wonder something else, again due to the insane RAM prices.

Would an average linux user benefit from having the swap partition on a cheap Intel Optane Memory 16GB M.2 NVMe SSD in case the system starts using swap? Or in other words, how faster would the swap be compared to a normal situation where you have the swap partition on the same boot ssd.

I know RAM is always better, but since the small optanes cost less than half of a RAM upgrade of the same size (at least on my country) it would be interesting to see if it’s worth it, especially if one has an older machine: My desktop PC doesn’t support more than 16gb of RAM, for example.

The advertised write speeds on the current small 16/32 GB optane memory modules are not fast… even in terms of sata3 speeds.

write throughput on small optane is dumb. like 100 megabytes/sec dumb. wanted to use it for l2arc/zil but its just so slow its wacky

As @wendell stated, if you need swap for large data sets, then any NVMe SSD would be fine. If you do not have NVMe capability, then SATA III SSDs are the way to go, obviously. In either case you do not need the fastest as it will not make that much of a difference. Most drives saturate the bus that they use within 90%.

When you talk about RAM versus any other bus in consumer computers, you are looking at orders of magnitude of difference;with RAM being faster. In the grand scheme of things, you should be looking at upgrading the platform if speeds are important and you are RAM capped.

If you are not dealing with large data sets, then your swap is recommended to not be more than 8Gib. I have been running a swap size of only 1024Mib for over a decade. Unless you use suspend, there is no need as RAM is hella fast and Density is superior in comparison to back in the day where SWAP made sense.

@wendell @nx2l @Mastic_Warrior thank you for your insights. I think I overestimated the speeds of the small optanes, and I needed some perspective on the usefulness and proper usage of swap. I guess my mind was stuck in habits of almost a decade. :slight_smile:

Watched this video and more interested in that repo surgeon than the actual product lol.

I wonder how it handles dynamic programming?