Intel is launching an i3 for the x299 platform

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha
Dual core 100W…
Are you kidding me? FX8300 and 8320 and 8370e is 95W from 10 billion years ago on twice as larger node… Dual core 112W… Damn, have the mighty really fallen that much?

3 Likes

They could, of course, just do what they normally do with them. Which is turn them into consumer processors and sell them en masse to OEMs

To be fair, this CPU’s performance might actually come close to the FX 8320E, but the real joke aside from power consumption is the price.

Yeah that’s the thing that doesn’t add up there, why for X299… just slap it in an i3. Maybe because the iGPU doesn’t work either? idk.

Oh wow, is this serious? 220$? a 6/12 CPU costs less, god damn it :smiley: That is …
Ow wow… I guess the mighty have been really fallen.
I know it’s just an entry level X299 placeholder until you get money for a better thing, but still… 220$ 112W dual core… Wow…

I don’t get it. If someone have any reasonable explanation - go ahead…

3 Likes

“BUT GUIEZ, MAH SINGLE CORE, UR JUST BEING AN AMD FANBOI!” - Some tech-illiterate dimwit, probably.

Sad part is even that’s not a valid argument cause then the i5 7600K looks better in that regard.

Weird that when I mention something along the lines of multithreading being where the future is going somehow makes me an AMD fanboy, even when I think IPC and single core matters (when you are not losing all those cores), and Intel’s higher end CPUs also benefit from multithreading, my i7 5820K wasn’t better than the i7 4790K in single threading, but multithreading, a whole different ball game.

X299 is gonna go down in history as probably one of the weirdest, most questionable platforms to ever come to market. Especially since once IOMMU for Threadripper gets sorted out, X299 will be functionally inferior just because of X399’s gobs of PCIe lanes, the direct-wired M.2 slots and the fact that you don’t need to pay AMD more money to wire them to the CPU. If I want Intel and I want a ton of PCIe connectivity, I’m not going to go to X299, that’s crazy, I’d be going with dual-socket C602, and the fact that Intel didn’t make X299 CPUs have a ton more PCIe lanes is… really disturbing.

3 Likes

That is still a quite powerful CPU even today… I still regret not jumping deep into financial trouble and getting one of those and skimping on everything else…
Still, a dual core on HEDT system, almost workstation server thing is laughable idea…

Hope they don’t think they can force the user to get the expensive stuff for lanes, cause this time around there is a decent alternative… Cheaper, cooler, faster, more … dare I say… feature rich … alternative? Because they can’t really…

1 Like

I don’t get the whole “placeholder” idea in the first place… It’s just throwing money out the window, because who’s gonna buy it after you used it? Just wait and get your “real” CPU in the first place… If you’re getting such an expensive platform this really shouldn’t be an issue… but I guess that’s a topic for somewhere else.

2 Likes

This here is what astonishes me the most about it. AMD used to be the space heater. Now the tables are rapidly flipping.

2 Likes

Yeah, the i7 5820K was great, especially with no Ryzen it was quite a powerful CPU, it still runs insanely well for me, and I haven’t even looked at overclocking yet.

They overclock really well. Have one and a 5930K. 4.6 Ez

Yeah, easily my favorite purchases in computer hardware, too bad my mobile CPUs suck (like the i5 4300U, A6 4500M and i3 3110M, I don’t even have the laptop with the A6 4500M anymore)

Can’t wait for Raven Ridge and Coffee Lake, but I did find a laptop that interests me that I am looking at as a suitable upgrade and a mobile computer to transit into Linux.

is…is this some sort of meme? this cant really be happening, can it? why would they make an i3? did the bad reception of the i5/i7 not give them enough hints?

Anandtech is still recommending the 7740X AFAIK…

1 Like

Not a good recommendation. Most sane folks dont approve of it

Consumers be like…

1 Like

Prior edit post tons it people believe he is getting the can not just ltt

Oh, yeah my dyslexia kicked it again. Happens a lot. I think the 300TDP while only just barely edging out 1080 was the nail.

Insert retard with asus mining board

Oh wait sweet Intel is releasing athlons now. Thats totally what this shit is. Think about it. “We have this really fucking good mobo chipset and a processor thats fucking ancient in terms of tech”.

Ooooh can we get a Turion and Duron from AMD now? And my phenoms?