Intel is launching an i3 for the x299 platform

I think, what we really need (even if we’re not aware of it), is a single core atom, on a dual socket xeon board. It’s not the cpu we want, but the one we deserve…

3 Likes

Do I get hyperthreadding?

i3 usually has HyperThreading yes.

It is that rumour from Baidu, I guess wccf has copy-pasted it now to get some ad money. The baidu thread is gone btw.

I was continuing dual socket single core ttom joke

1 Like

Of course you don’t, because multiple threads is just stupid (until your competitor has more cores, that are just as fast as yours, and you realize what a stupid fucking mistake you made). Also did i mention that the atom needs to have a tdp of at least 150 watts

3 Likes

No man you don’t even need the concept of cores. You don’t even need a processor. You JUST have ECC ram scanning and controlling everything.

2 Likes

I get a little worried these days now that intel doesnt have a road map to mobile / tablet as its no longer in their best interest to push better multithreading for low level api’s… after all why would you when you can keep winning on clocks / ipc?

I get the feeling that as long as intel can keep cores, threads down in the mass market then it will always keep its lead… (minimum spec targets the majority for very good reasons) .

After all if they keep core counts / threads low ‘for gamers!’ then devs will never bother developing games for higher thread counts

it’s self re-inforcing and intel knows it.

Don’t worry, it’s changing. Just look at Coffee Lake. Intel is realizing that Ryzen is kicking their ass with it’s high core count, so Intel finally rolls out the six core, they’ve been keeping from us for so many years. Also, they know, that they may not keep the ipc/single core crown forever. Zen has already come dangerously close to kaby lake and Zen2/Zen+ will be even closer. And the fact that coffee lake will probably bring no ipc gain doesnt help

1 Like

I call bullshit on this much. There has been much discussion that “oh 6 core coffee lake is intel’s big response to ryzen,” and although yes the coffee lake and ryzen will be competitors, intel upping core count is most definitely not happening just because of Ryzen. Too the contrary actually, it’s been likely planned for many generations now. Going back to the Haswell days of 2014-2015, we’ve been speculating that 2017 intel offerings will be bringing 6/8 cores to the desktop.

Back in 2015 it was being speculated that Cannonlake instead of CoffeeLake would actually be bringing 6 and 8 core parts to the desktop in 2017:

This article from july 20 2016 (still pre ryzen) alleged that Coffee Lake would also be bringing 6 cores to the desktop.

They basically could have upped the core count with Kaby Lake, don’t believe me, look at the new laptops. It did not take Coffee Lake, so yes, AMD did push the envelope in this regard. Heck, Intel wanted to sell a dual core for $220 and stick to that.

I mean this isn’t the first time that people speculated that Intel would move up their core count, the only difference is they actually are with Coffee Lake.

This may not be them making it in response, but they are definitely pushing it harder and faster BECAUSE of Ryzen.

Of course they’ve had six cores for a while now (kaby lake could’ve been a six core, if that’s what intel wanted). And like @DrewSaga said, they’ve been rumored to put out a six core consumer a few times now and it didn’t happen until now. So while coffee lake being a six core has probably been planned for a while, it was probably ryzen, that made intel realize they need to hurry the fuck up

1 Like

Well no the point was that we’ve had rumors for years that the 2017 intel launch was going to have a 6 core on the mainstream. Going back for years, preryzen, this has been pinned as the year that it was going to happen. I mean there was even speculation that an 8 core was coming, but that the 8 core has now been pushed to next year. This whole 6 core mainstream thing looks like it was pushed because of Ryzen, but if for years pre-ryzen it was stipulated in the media that it would happen this year, then I think its safe to say that Ryzen coming out and a 6 core intel mainstream chip coming out is just coincidental at best. I mean there are articles from 2013-2014 rumoring as much, from back when Zen was still just another codename on a roadmap and nothing concrete was known.

they are so flustered its cute

I was specing out a pc for a coworker and was like, alright, looks like the 7600k is the best bang for the buck atm. Let’s grab a board aaaand- HOLY FUCK THERE ARE 9 CHIPSETS COMPATIBLE?!

Intel’s line up is such a fluster cuck right now even I’m confused.